39. HATFIELD PEVEREL. (G.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xliv. N.E. (b)xliv. S.E.)
Hatfield Peverel is a parish and village 3 m.
S.W. of Witham. The Church and Toppinghoe
Hall are the principal monuments.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands
S.E. of the village. The walls are of flint-rubble
with freestone dressings and some brickwork,
but the external facing is almost entirely modern;
the roofs are tiled. A secular college is said to
have been founded here late in the 11th century,
but early in the 12th century it was converted into
a Benedictine Priory, cell to St. Albans Abbey.
The Nave (parish nave and chancel) was built
about the beginning of the 12th century and the
remains of the Central Tower are of the same date.
About the end of the 13th century the North
Aisle was added, but it appears to have been
widened early in the 15th century, when the two
western bays of the arcade were altered or re-built.
The priory was dissolved in 1536, and probably
shortly after the presbytery with its chapels the
transept and the central tower were pulled down;
the nave, being parochial, was left standing and the
W. arch of the central tower was blocked to close
in the E. end. About the middle of the 16th
century the South Vestry was built. The building
was drastically restored in the 19th century when
the South Aisle was added and the North Porch
re-built. The domestic buildings of the priory,
which have entirely disappeared, probably lay
on the S. of the church.
Hatfield Peverel. The Parish Church of St Andrew
The church is of interest as a fragment of a small
conventual church, and among the fittings the
heraldic glass, the 13th-century effigy and the 15th-century bench-ends are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Central Tower
(probably about 18¾ ft. square) has been destroyed
except for the W. arch, now blocked; it is of
the 12th century, semi-circular and quite plain;
adjoining it on the N. and S. are buttresses representing the W. responds of the N. and S. arches.
The Nave (81 ft. by 25 ft.) forms the parochial
chancel and nave and is structurally undivided.
In the N. wall is an arcade of five bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, resting
on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and
modern bases; the orders of the easternmost
arch are continued down the E. respond, but the
W. respond has an attached shaft with a moulded
capital and base; the three easternmost arches
are of late 13th-century date, but the two westernmost with the pier and respond are of the 15th
century; above the first pier is a single round-headed light of c. 1100; the second pillar has a
groove cut in the S.W. face for the former parochial
rood-screen, and the wall above had a doorway
at the loft level, now blocked but retaining its
oak frame on the N. side. In the S. wall is a
modern doorway and arcade of five bays; W. of
the arcade is a 13th-century lancet window set
high in the wall and modern externally. In the
W. wall is a 12th-century doorway, much restored,
and of two orders, the inner plain and the outer
with cheveron ornament, the jambs have each
a shaft with a scalloped capital and a moulded
abacus continued round the inner order as an impost.
The W. window is modern.
The North Aisle (14 ft. wide, average) has on
the N. wall an early 16th-century embattled parapet
of brick; in the wall are five windows, the easternmost is of two trefoiled ogee lights with a trefoil
in a two-centred head with a moulded label and
of early 14th-century date; the second window
is all modern except for the 16th-century brick
head and a few stones possibly of the 14th century;
the third window is also modern except for the
jambs, splays and rear-arch, which are probably
of the 15th century; the fourth window is of two
cinque-foiled lights with modern tracery in a two-centred head and of the 15th century, partly
restored; the westernmost window is modern;
between the third and fourth window is a semi-octagonal rood-stair turret entered by a late 15th
or early 16th-century doorway with a four-centred
head; the embattled capping of the turret is of
16th-century brick repaired in the 18th century
and has an isolated, tabled buttress rising from the
middle; between the two westernmost windows
is the early 15th-century N. doorway with jambs
and two-centred arch of two moulded orders and a
moulded label. In the W. wall is a 13th-century
lancet window, all modern externally.
The South Vestry is built of brick, but the E.
wall is probably that of the former S. transept.
The vestry is of two storeys and has in the S. wall
of the ground storey a 16th-century window of
three lights with moulded jambs, square head and
label of brick. The upper storey has in the E.
wall a similar window of two lights and in the
S. wall two similar windows, one of three lights
and the other of one light only.
The Roofs are modern except two tie-beams in
the parish chancel; the eastern is moulded and has
a hole in the middle, probably for a former lamp;
the western tie-beam is moulded and has curved
braces forming a four-centred arch and curved
principals above it; both are of late 15th or early
Fittings—Brasses: In parish chancel—(1) two
shields (a) a cheveron with three roundels thereon;
(b) (1) impaling quarterly 1 and 4 a griffin, 2 and 3
three fusils fessewise, indent of inscription plate,
15th-century. (2) to unnamed lady, descendant
of the Bohuns, c. 1570, inscription only; (3) of
John Allen, 1572, and his first wife, kneeling
figure of man in civilian dress and lady with
children, indents of two other wives, scroll, plate
and two shields; (4) to Martha (Glascocke), wife
of Edmund Aleyn, 1593. Chairs: In upper
room of vestry—two, with carved backs, carved
and turned legs, upholstered seats, late 17th-century. Chests: In vestry—(1) (Plate p. xxxiii)
of oak, iron-bound, lid with chain fastenings, drop
handles, probably 16th-century; (2) with moulded
framing, two original lock plates, drop handles,
probably late 17th-century. Doors: In W. doorway—modern, incorporating panels with four
shields cut away at top, c. 1500. In vestry—
panelled and nail studded, with iron hinges,
probably early 16th-century, set in modern
framing. In N. doorway—of two folds, framing only old, uncertain date, battens modern.
Glass: In N. aisle—in easternmost window,
fragments of tabernacle work and foliage in heads
of lights and tracery, 14th and 15th-century,
fragmentary panels of Flemish glass with figure
subjects, probably early 17th-century; in second
window, royal arms of Elizabeth with strap-work
ornament, also seven shields of arms, probably
early 18th-century; in third window, various,
made up of panels including restored shields of
arms, a true-lovers-knot with the initials R.I. the
arms (Plate p. xxxvi), a chain cheveronwise between
three mitres (in yellow stain only) for Evesham
Abbey, 16th-century and later; in fourth window,
two panels made up of fragments including a
dimidiated and irradiated Tudor rose, late 15th-century, and a shield of arms with strap-work,
early 17th-century. In S. aisle—in easternmost
window, Flemish glass with remains of figure
subjects including the Nativity and other subjects,
16th-century; in second window, similar fragments
including head of large figure, a kneeling female
figure, portions of figures of St. James and St.
John the Baptist, 16th and 17th-century. Helms:
In parish chancel—on N. wall, remains of funeral
achievement, with helm and crest, sword, leathern
gauntlets and spur, 16th-century. Monuments
and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In parish chancel—
against N. wall, (1) altar-tomb of marble with
moulded slab, four cinque-foiled and three square
traceried panels on south side, with three shields
with rivets for former brasses; cinque-foiled panel
at each end, moulded plinth, early 16th-century.
In N. aisle—on sill of second window, (2) recumbent effigy of man in plain gown with hood,
head on cushion supported by angels, feet
on lion, hands holding heart, late 13th-century,
badly mutilated. Floor-slabs: In parish chancel
—(1) to Martha (Aleyn), wife of Joshua Blower,
vicar of the parish, 1639. In N. aisle—(2) to John
Godbold, 166, (3) to Daniel Coys, 1673, with
achievement of arms. Niches: In nave—on
N. wall above the third column, with flat arched
head, uncertain date. In N. aisle—in E. splay
of easternmost window, with circular head,
probably 15th-century. Painting: On second
column of N. arcade—crucifixion with figure of
the Virgin and remains of figure of St. John, all
under crocketed canopies; on W. face of column,
female figure, late 14th or early 15th-century,
much defaced; remains of colour also on niches,
columns and some window splays. Plate: includes
cup of 1628 or 1636, cup of 1639, stand-paten of
1677 and cup of 1691. Screen: in E. bay of N.
arcade—not in situ, with moulded and embattled
cornice, partly modern, doorway and four open
bays all with trefoiled, sub-cusped and traceried
heads, close lower panels, mid 15th-century.
Seating: In parish chancel—three bench-ends
with carved and traceried panels and popeys
(Plate p. xxxviii), carved with foliage and human
heads including king, queen, two bearded heads,
and two female heads, late 14th-century. Staircase: re-used in stairway in vestry, several flat-shaped balusters, late 16th-century. Stoup:
adjoining N. doorway—with septfoiled head and
broken basin, 15th-century.
Condition—Fairly good, much restored.
b(2). Homestead Moat, at Mowden Hall, 1¼ m.
W.S.W. of the church.
b(3). Toppinghoe Hall, house and barn, 1½m.
W.N.W. of the church. The House (Plate p. 256)
is of two storeys with attics; the walls are partly
of brick and partly of plastered timber-framing;
the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 16th
century and is probably part of a larger house
which was partly demolished and remodelled in
the 17th century and subsequently. The W. wall
is of brick and has two stone windows, one of four
transomed lights and the other of three lights;
the moulded brick coping of the gable has corbelled
kneelers and the stump of a pinnacle at the apex.
The Barn, S.W. of the house, incorporates two
gables and one side of the original house of late
16th-century date. The walls are of red brick
and the roofs are tiled. The two gabled ends
have each three stone windows, two of five
transomed lights and one of three lights; those
at the N. end have moulded labels. The N. gable
has a moulded coping and the stump of a pinnacle
at the apex. The S. gable is crow-stepped. On
the W. side are four small, square-headed windows,
now blocked, and a doorway with a four-centred
head. Inside the building are some heavy ceiling-beams and four fireplaces with four-centred heads,
two on the ground floor, now blocked, and two
on the first floor with stop-moulded arches.
Condition—Of house, good; of barn, ruinous.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Many
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
b(4). Crix Farm, house, 600 yards S.E. of (3),
has been refaced with modern brick.
a(5). Hatfield Wick, house, about 1¼ m. N.W. of
the church, has two original chimney-stacks with
a(6). Termitt's Farm, house, 1½ m. N.N.W. of
the church, was built early in the 16th century
with the cross-wings at the E. and W. ends. On
the N. front the upper storey projects at the ends
of the cross-wings.
b(7). House and Post Office, on N. side of the
main road, 1,050 yards N.N.W. of the church, is
of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the E. and N.
b(8). House, now two tenements, on the E. side
of the road 150 yards S.E. of (7), has a S. wing
perhaps of the 15th century; the main block is
of the 17th century.
b(9). House opposite (8).
b(10). House, now three tenements, on N.E.
side of the road 600 yards N. of the church, was
built in the 15th century with cross-wings at the
E. and W. ends. On the S. front the upper storey
projects at the ends of the cross-wings. Inside
the building the original king-post roof-truss of the
E. wing is visible.
b(11). Langley's Cottage, 160 yards S.E. of (10).
b(12). House, three tenements, 20 yards S.E. of
b(13). House, two tenements, opposite (11).
b(14). Cottage, now two tenements, on W. side
of the road about 400 yards E.N.E. of the church.
b(15). Lodge at Hatfield Priory, 170 yards N.N.E.
of the church, was built probably about the middle
of the 16th-century but has been entirely refaced
externally. Inside the building is an original
moulded beam with a curved brace.
b(16). Cottage, 500 yards W.N.W. of the church,
has been reduced in size.
b(17). Cottage, two tenements, on N. side of
road 500 yards S.S.W. of the church.
b(18). Cottage, three tenements, opposite (17).
b(19). Priory Farm, house, at Nounsley, 700
yards S. of the church, has an original central
chimney-stack with grouped diagonal shafts.
b(20). Redrobin Farm (Plate p. 96), house, 100
yards S. of (19), was built probably in the 15th
century with cross-wings at the W. and E.
ends; the E. wing has been destroyed, the W.
wing has a projecting upper storey. Inside the
building the W. wing has an original cambered
b(21). Bridge Farm, house, 320 yards W. of (20),
was built late in the 16th century. Inside the
building is an original window of four lights
with diamond-shaped mullions, now blocked.
One room has an original fireplace with a four-centred arch.
b(22). Gardener's Farm, house, about 1 m. S.W.
of the church, has been refaced with modern
b(23). House (Plate p. 96), two tenements, about
1¾ m. S.W. of the church, has a late 16th-century
E. wing but the main block is of the 18th century.
The E. wing has a projecting gable with carved
consoles at the ends, a moulded and dentilled
bressumer and enriched barge-boards with a
moulded pendant at the apex. The central chimney-stack has diagonal shafts and pilasters.
b(24). Cottage, two tenements, S. of Gray's
Farm and nearly ¾ m. E.S.E. of the church.
b(25). Cottage, two tenements, about 1¼ m. E.S.E.
of the church.
b(26). Cottage, 50 yards E.S.E. of (25), was built
possibly in the 15th century. The roof has a central
purlin with the mortice for a former king-post
and a cambered tie-beam.
b(27). Sandford's Farm, house, nearly 1 m. N.E.
of the church, has the lower storey of red brick.
The chimney-stack at the W. end has crow-stepped