5. ARDLEIGH. (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xix. S.W. (b)xix. S.E. (c)xxviii. N.W.)
Ardleigh is a parish and small village 4½ m. N.E.
of Colchester. The church and house (6) are the
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands in the
village. The walls are of mixed rubble, with much
pudding-stone; the dressings are of limestone and
brick, and the roofs are tiled. The W. bay of the
Nave is of early to mid 14th-century date. The
West Tower and the South Porch were added late
in the 15th century. The rest of the church,
including Chancel, Chapels, Nave and side Aisles,
was entirely rebuilt in 1885.
The S. porch is a good example of the period,
and among the fittings the S. door is noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Nave (53 ft. by
21 ft.) is modern except for the W. bay, which
has on each side a mid 14th-century window of
three trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in an
obtuse two-centred head with a moulded label and
head-stops; one stop on the N. is modern.
The South Aisle is modern, but reset in the S.
wall is a late 15th-century doorway (Plate, p. 132)
with moulded and shafted jambs and two-centred
arch, enriched with carved heads and foliage; the
arch has a square head with a moulded label and
spandrels carved with mutilated figures of Adam
and Eve and a background of foliage.
The West Tower (15¼ ft. by 12¼ ft.) is of late
15th-century date and of three stages (Plate, p. 221),
with a moulded plinth of flint-inlaid work and a
modern parapet. The two-centred tower-arch is
of two moulded orders, the outer continuous and
the inner resting on much restored semi-octagonal
shafts, with moulded capitals and bases. The
W. window is of three trefoiled ogee lights, with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a
moulded label; the cusp points are foliated; the
partly restored W. doorway has a moulded two-centred head with moulded labels and defaced
head-stops. The second stage has in each wall a
window of one cinquefoiled light; the external
reveals of those in the N., S. and W. walls are of
brick. The bell-chamber has in each wall a much
restored window of two trefoiled ogee lights with
tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label.
The South Porch (Plate, p. xxix) is of late 15th-century date and has a moulded plinth and embattled parapet, both with flint-inlaid panels; the
diagonal buttresses have stone panels with traceried
heads to each stage, and are finished with octagonal
shafts with embattled capitals, supporting seated
figures of beasts. The S. front is of two stages and
is entirely covered with flint-inlay in panels; at
the top of the lower stage runs the name Maria in
black letter, and at the base of the upper stage
is a row of chalices and hosts in stone; below
these is an ashlar band with the black-lettter
inscription, "Orate p animabus Johīs Hūte at y~
wode et Alicie uxoris ejus Johīs Hute Willī Hūte."
The outer archway is two-centred and is of two
moulded orders, the outer continuous and the inner
resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals and
bases; the arch has a square head with double
moulded labels, stopped with crowned lions on
foliated brackets and spandrels carved with figures
of St. George and the Dragon. Above the arch are
three niches with buttressed jambs and elaborate
traceried and crocketed canopies; the pedestals
have each a half-angel issuing from clouds. The
side walls of the porch have each a window of three
cinquefoiled lights, with embattled tracery in a
segmental-pointed head with a moulded label.
The Roof of the porch is of late 15th-century
date, partly restored, and has moulded and braced
principals, forming four-centred arches, moulded
ridge and wall-plates.
Fittings—Bells: eight; 3rd by John Darbie,
1676; 4th by the same founder, 1675; 6th by
Charles Newman, 1689; 8th probably by Robert
Burford, early 15th-century, and inscribed "Sum
Rosa Pulsata Mundi Maria Vocata." Door (Plate,
p. 132): In S. doorway—of two folds, each with
three panels with elaborately traceried heads,
moulded bars, late 15th-century, partly restored,
old pierced scutcheon-plate. Monument: In S.
porch—on S. wall, internally, to Barbara, wife of
Henry Lufkin, 1706, and to Henry Lufkin, 1721,
wooden 'marbled' tablet with side pilasters and
broken curved pediment. Niches: In S. chapel—
in E. wall, but formerly in E. wall of old S. aisle,
with moulded and buttressed jambs and defaced
vaulted canopy with rosette bosses, remains of
colour, late 15th-century. In S. porch—over S.
doorway, with buttressed jambs and ogee cinquefoiled canopy with crocketed label, late 15th-century, much defaced. Plate: includes cup
and cover-paten, the former dated 1584 and
both with bands of engraved ornament. Recess:
In tower—in S. wall, small niche with triangular head of brick, late 15th-century. Screen
(Plate, p. 181): Between chancel and nave—base of
screen with moulded rail and two bays on each
side doorway, flanked and divided by restored
buttresses, each bay with two open panels with
septfoiled ogee heads and tracery with spandrels
richly carved with foliage, dragons, grotesque
heads, etc., late 15th-century, partly restored.
Stoup: In S. porch—with moulded jambs and
cinquefoiled head, bowl cut away, late 15th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored and rebuilt.
a(2). Homestead Moat, at Ardleigh Wick,
1¼ m. W. of the church.
a(3). Ardleigh Hall, 200 yards N.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the
15th century, but has a large modern block of
brick added on the E. side. The upper storey
projects and is gabled the E. end of the N. side.
Inside the building the N. wing has an original
king-post truss and central purlin; the S. wing
has an original cambered tie-beam with shaped
wall-posts. Some timber-framing and ceilingbeams are exposed.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled. Many of the buildings have original
chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
a(4). Cottage, two tenements, on W. side of road,
30 yards S.W. of the church.
a(5). House, two tenements, S. of (4). The upper
storey projects on the E. front.
a(6). House, two tenements, on S. side of road
60 yards S.W. of (5), was built in the 15th century;
two wings were added at the back, one probably
in the 16th century and one in the 17th century.
The upper storey formerly projected on the
N. front but has been under-built; the original
bressumer is moulded and has defaced running
foliage ornament. The upper storey has exposed
timber-framing and three four-light windows
with moulded sills and now blocked. In the E.
wall is an original five-light window with moulded
frame and mullions. Inside the building, two
rooms on the ground floor have original moulded
ceiling-beams and joists; the beams are carved
with running foliage. The roof at the E. and W.
ends has original tie-beams, those at the W. end
with curved braces and king-posts.
b(7). Abbott's Cottage, about ½ m. E. of the
c(8). Bovill's Hall, ½ m S. of the church, has
been practically rebuilt except the N.W. wing.
c(9). Hull Farm, house, 1 m. S.W. of (8), is of
T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the S. end.
c(10). Mose Hall, ½ m. W. of (9), was built
in the 15th century with cross-wings at the N.E.
and S.W. ends. On the S.E. side is a projecting
chimney-stack with tabled offsets and there is a
similar stack at the N.E. end. Inside the building
the main block has an original roof of king-post
type. There is also a door of 17th-century panelling.
c(11). Harvey's Farm, house, about 1¾ m. W.S.W.
of the church, was built probably in the 15th
century, with a cross-wing at the N.W. end. The
upper storey projects on curved brackets at the
N.E. end of the cross-wing. Inside the building
is a door with old strap-hinges. In the garden is
some 15th-century moulded stonework probably of
a(12). Gatehouse Farm, house, ½ m. N.W. of
(11), was built in the 15th century and has a
cross-wing at the E. end. There are also modern
additions on the E. The upper. storey projects
at the N. end of the cross-wing. The roof has an
original king-post truss.
a(13). Clark's Farm, house, 1 m. N.E. of (12),
was built in the 16th century on an L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the W.