12. BURES. (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. xvii. N.E.)
Bures is a parish on the Suffolk border and
partly in that county, 8 m. N.W. of Colchester.
The parish church is in the Suffolk portion of the
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Several
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(1). Old Toll House, house and shop, 100 yards
W. of Bures Bridge, was built early in the 16th
century. The cross-wing at the W. end has an
upper storey, projecting at the N. end. Inside the
building is a considerable quantity of 17th-century
panelling. The roof has remains of the original
(2). Eight Bells Inn, 60 yards S.W. of (1), has
extensive modern additions.
(3). Cottage, 180 yards S. of (2).
(4). Cottage, W. of (3).
(5). Cottage, 300 yards W.N.W. of Bures Bridge.
(6). Cottage, W. of (5).
(7). Parsonage Farm, house, 700 yards W.S.W.
of Bures Bridge, was built probably in the 16th
century and has a projecting upper storey on the
(8). Cottage, N. of Valley Green Farm and nearly
1¼ m. S.S.W. of Bures Bridge.
(9). Upper Jennys, house, nearly 1½ m. S.W. of
Bures Bridge, was built in the 16th century. The
plaster of the front is dated 1769.
(10). Ravensfield Farm, house, nearly 1¾ m.
W.S.W. of Bures Bridge.
(11). Hill Farm, house 1,200 yards N.W. of
Bures Bridge, has an original chimney-stack with
two grouped hexagonal shafts.