15. COLNE ENGAINE. (B.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xvii. N.E. (b)xvii. S.W.)
Colne Engaine is a parish and small village
2 m. E. of Halstead. The church is the principal
b(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands
near the middle of the parish. The walls are of
flint and stone-rubble mixed with Roman bricks
and tiles; the porch and the upper stages of the
tower are of brick; the dressings are of Barnack
and limestone; and the roofs are tiled. The
Nave was built early in the 12th century. The
Chancel was probably rebuilt in the 13th century.
The West Tower was added possibly in the 14th
century. Early in the 16th century the top
stages of the tower were rebuilt and the South
Porch added. The church was restored in the
19th century when the chancel-arch was rebuilt,
the E. wall raised and the North Vestry added.
The top stage of the tower and the S. porch
are interesting examples of brickwork; the porch
is in part a replica of that at Pebmarsh.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26 ft.
by 18½ ft.) has a modern E. window with some
reused stones in the splays. In the N. wall are
traces of a tile relieving-arch over the head of a
blocked lancet window, only visible internally;
further W. is a single light 'low-side' window of
the 14th century with a trefoiled ogee head and
tracery; between the windows is a modern opening
to the organ chamber. In the S. wall are two
windows, the eastern is of early 14th-century
date and of two septfoiled lights with tracery
in a two-centred head with richly moulded jambs
and label with head-stops; the western window
is of the same date and is a 'low-side' window
similar to that in the N. wall; between the windows
is a 13th-century doorway with chamfered jambs,
two-centred arch and moulded label with headstops, one modern; it is now blocked; above
the doorway are traces of a relieving-arch similar
to that in the N. wall. The chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (48 ft. by 24 ft.) has W. quoins of
Roman brick and in the S. wall are well-defined
courses of similar bricks. In the N. wall are two
modern windows. In the S. wall are two windows
all modern except the rear-arch and splays of the
eastern, which are of the 14th century; W. of
this window is a 12th-century window, now
blocked; further W. is the S. doorway with double
chamfered jambs and moulded two-centred arch
of the 14th century.
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is of three stages,
the lowest probably of the 14th century and the
two upper of early 16th-century date; the
embattled brick parapet has crocketed angle
pinnacles and projects on a trefoiled corbel-table
above which is a band of cusped ornament; on
the E. side this band has a shield and the Vere
molet; the buttresses have each a trefoil-headed
panel at the level of the second stage. The tower-arch and W. window are modern. The second
stage has a loop in the N. and S. walls. The bell
chamber has in each wall an early 16th-century
window of two four-centred lights with a pierced
spandrel in a four-centred head and a moulded
The South Porch (Plate, p. xxix) is of brick and
of early 16th-century date. The outer archway
has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label
all set in a projection with a crow-stepped head
surmounted by a niche. The side walls have each
a window of two four-centred lights with a pierced
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century and
of four bays with moulded wall-plates and tiebeams with curved braces and square king-posts
with moulded capitals and bases; two braces rest
on grotesque stone corbels. The 15th-century
roof of the porch evidently belonged to an earlier
structure and has moulded wall-plates and tie-beam with king-post, two-way struts and central
purlin; the cusped and sub-cusped barge-boards
are much decayed.
Fittings—Bells: six; 3rd by Miles Graye, 1624.
Brass: On S. respond of chancel-arch—to Agnes
Hunte, widow, and Agnes, Alys and Elyzabeth, her
daughters, early 16th-century, inscription only.
Chest: In vestry — plain, with ring-handles and
strap-hinges, probably 17th-century. Niche: On
porch—with moulded base and four-centred head,
early 16th-century. Piscina: In chancel—with
moulded jambs and trefoiled ogee head with
carved spandrels, crocketed label and finial,
octofoiled drain, 14th-century. Sedile: In chancel
—sill of S.E. window carried down to form seat,
splays stopped with trefoiled ogee heads, 14th-century.
Condition—Good, but some ivy on N. wall.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Some
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
b(2). Row of Cottages, 300 yards W. of the church,
has an original chimney-stack with grouped diagonal
b(3). Goldington's Farm, house and barn, nearly
1 m. W. of the church.
b(4). Cottage, 300 yards S. of (3), has the modern
date 1620 on the W. gable. The central chimney-stack has four octagonal shafts and an original
bay-window at the W. end of the house is of
six transomed lights with moulded mullions.
b(5). The Grove, house on Boose's Green, nearly
½ m. N.N.W. of the church, has large modern
additions and the modern date 1684 on the S.W.
end. Inside the building is some original panelling
and a moulded ceiling-beam.
b(6). Cottage, 180 yards E.N.E. of (5), has a wing
on the E. with a projecting upper storey on its
b(7). Brickhouse Farm, house, ¼ m. E.N.E. of (6),
is built of brick and has at the back an original
window with a moulded frame.
a(8). Hungry Hall, house and barn, 1½ m. N.E.
of the church. The House has been refaced with
modern brick, but the chimney-stack has two
original octagonal shafts.
The Barn, W. of the house, is probably of the
17th century and is of seven bays.