22. EASTHORPE. (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxv. N.E. (b)xxxvi. N.W.)
Easthorpe is a small parish 6 m. W.S.W. of
Colchester. The church is the principal monument.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate, p. 92)
stands at the E. end of the parish. The walls
are of mixed rubble and septaria partly coursed,
the dressings are of Roman brick and clunch;
the roofs are tiled. The Nave with an apsidal
chancel was built early in the 12th century.
About the middle of the 13th century the apse
was destroyed and the Chancel extended towards
the E. A south porch was added in the 15th
century. The church was restored in 1910 when
the South Porch was rebuilt. The bell-turret is
The church has interesting remains of 12th
and 13th-century work.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (30¾ ft.
by 20 ft.) is structurally undivided from the
nave. In the E. wall is a graduated triplet of
mid 13th-century lancet windows; the splays
are enriched with dog-tooth ornament and have
detached shafts with moulded capitals and bases;
the capitals of the two middle shafts are foliated;
the rear-arches and labels are much restored or
modern but two of the head-stops are original.
In the N. wall are two windows; the eastern is a
13th-century lancet; the western is of mid 14th-century date, much restored and of two cinquefoiled lights in a two-centred head with a moulded
label and head-stops; between the windows are
slight traces, externally, of the jambs of a former
doorway. In the S. wall are four windows, the
two easternmost are uniform with the N.E.
window, but much restored; the third window is
the upper part of a round-headed 12th-century
light of Roman brick; the lower part of the
windows was blocked when the westernmost
window was inserted in the 14th century; this
window has a modern mullion and tracery and a
two-centred head; E. of it is a 13th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred arch
with a moulded label; E. of the doorway, externally, the wall has been cut back to show the
spring of the former apse.
The Nave (34 ft. by 20 ft.) has in the N. wall
three windows; the easternmost is of early 14th-century date and of two trefoiled ogee lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the
middle window is a 13th-century round-headed
light of Roman brick; the westernmost window
is of the 16th or 17th century and is a single round-headed light of brick; above the easternmost
window is the head of a blocked 12th-century
window similar to the middle window; between
the two western windows is the early 12th-century
N. doorway with plain jambs and round arch of
Roman brick; at the E. end of the wall are two
15th-century doorways to the former rood-loft
staircase; the lower doorway has moulded jambs
and two-centred arch; the upper with rebated
jambs and two-centred arch is probably of 13th-century material reused; the staircase has been
removed, and reset in the outer wall is part of a
former window with a cinquefoiled head. In the
S. wall are three windows of which the easternmost
and westernmost are of the 12th century and
similar to that in the N. wall; the middle window
is of late 14th-century date and of two cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head.
W. of the windows is the S. doorway similar but
larger than the N. doorway and fitted with a
wooden frame; beneath the easternmost window
is a recess (see Fittings) and in the back of it is
a single quatrefoiled window of the 14th century.
In the W. wall is a mid 14th-century window
of two cinquefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a
two-centred head with a moulded label; above
it is a window of one round-headed light and
apparently all modern.
The South Porch has been rebuilt but incorporates the two-centred outer archway of oak,
the tie-beam above it and a king-post truss, all
of the 15th century.
Fittings—Communion Table: In chancel—with
turned legs, shaped brackets and carved front
rail, 17th-century. Floor-slabs: In chancel—
(1) to Thomas Greene, 1698, and his wife, 1719,
with achievement of arms; (2) to Anne (Blagrave),
widow of George Kingesmyll, 1680, with shield
of arms; (3) to Margaret, daughter of George
Kingesmyll, 1652. Glass: In chancel—in S.W.
window, figure subject of Christ preaching, foreign,
16th-century, property of rector. Niche: In
nave—above lower doorway to rood-loft, with
rebated jambs and round head, date uncertain.
Paintings: In nave—on splays and head of S.E.
window, remains of figures in black and red including resurrection figure and angels holding
instruments of the passion (?), also a band of
indented ornament, 13th-century. Piscina: In
chancel—with moulded jambs and segmental-pointed head, two round drains, 13th-century,
much restored. Plate: includes late 16th-century
cup and cover-paten, both remodelled. Recesses:
In chancel—in N. wall, plain plastered recess,
date uncertain. In nave—in S. wall at E. end,
with shafted jambs, capitals formerly carved,
moulded ogee arch, early 14th-century, probably
tomb-recess. Seating: two benches with shaped
ends and one with remains of popeys, 15th-century.
Sedilia: In chancel—of two bays with moulded
and trefoiled arches and labels enriched with dog-tooth ornament and having one old head-stop,
shafted jambs and free shaft of grey marble in
middle, with moulded capital and base, mid 13th-century, probably restored. Stoup: In nave—
in S. wall, with moulded jambs and cinquefoiled
head, probably 15th-century, bowl destroyed.
Miscellanea: At vicarage—clunch stone, formerly
built into wall above S. doorway, with erotic
carving of woman and inscription E L U I ...,
12th-century or earlier.
Easthorpe, The Parish Church of St Mary.
a(2). Badcock's Farm, house and moat, about
¾ m. W.S.W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are tiled. It was built in the 16th century with crosswings at the E. and W. ends. The upper storey of
the main block projects on the N. front and has a
moulded bressumer carved with twisted leaf ornament and the date 1585. Inside the building
the main block has exposed ceiling-beams and joists.
The Moat formerly surrounded the house.
Condition—Of house, good.
a(3). Easthorpe Hall, 70 yards W. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the
15th century with a central Hall and cross-wings
at the E. and W. ends. In the 16th century the
wings were extended towards the S. and in the 17th
century a wing was added on the N. of the Hall-block. The main chimney-stack has three square
detached shafts of the 17th century. Two other
chimney stacks have diagonal shafts also of the
17th century. Inside the building are exposed
ceiling-beams and joists; the original roof of the
E. wings has a king-post truss. Two fireplaces
have four-centred arches of brick and there are
some late 17th-century panelled doors.
Condition—Good, much altered.
b(4). Rectory, ¼m. E. of the church, is of two
storeys with attics; the walls are partly of plastered
timber-framing and partly of brick; the roofs
are tiled. The long cross-wing at the W. end of
the house is of the 15th century, but the main
block was rebuilt in the 17th century and extended
eastwards in the 18th century; there are various
modern additions. Inside the building the original
wing has cambered tie-beams. There are also
some 17th-century panelled doors.
Condition—Good, much altered.
b(5). House (Plate, p. 188) opposite the church,
is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably late in
the 15th century and is of L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the S. and W. The
upper storey projects on the E. and N. sides of
the S. wing; the angle-post has a much weathered
capital and the timber-framing is exposed. Inside
the building the W. wing has an original roof of
rough king-post type.