25. FEERING. (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxvi. N.W. (b)xxvi. S.W. (c)xxvi. S.E.
Feering is a parish and small village 2 m. S.E.
of Great Coggeshall. The church, Feeringbury,
Sun Inn and Houchin's Farm are the principal
d(1). Parish Church of All Saints (Plate,
p. 96) stands at the S. end of the parish. The
walls are of flint and septaria rubble except
the S. wall of the nave and the porch which are
of red brick; the dressings are of brick, clunch and
limestone; the roofs are covered with tiles and
lead. The Nave is the earliest part of the structure
and may be of the 12th or 13th century, but of this
there is no definite evidence. The Chancel was
rebuilt early in the 14th century except possibly
part of the N. wall; c. 1330 the North Aisle and
arcade were built. Early in the 15th century the
West Tower was added. At the beginning of the
16th century the S. wall of the nave was rebuilt
and the South Porch added. The church was
restored in the 19th century and the North Vestry
The N. arcade and aisle are of good 14th-century
work and the S. porch and S. wall of the nave are
excellent examples of elaborate brickwork.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (38 ft.
by 21½ ft.) has an early 14th-century E. window
of three pointed lights with plain intersecting
tracery in a two-centred head. The N. wall, W. of
the vestry, is of roughly coursed rubble and may
be earlier than the rest of the chancel. In the
N. wall are two windows similar to the E. window
but of two lights and completely restored externally;
between the windows is a modern doorway. In
the S. wall are two windows similar to those in
the N. wall; further W. is an early 14th-century
doorway, partly restored and now blocked; it has
chamfered jambs and a two-centred arch; above
it is a blocked early 16th-century window of brick
and of three four-centred lights in a four-centred
head. The chancel-arch is modern but is said to
be a copy of the former arch of c. 1200.
Feering, The Parish Church of All Saints.
The Nave (52½ ft. by 24 ft.) has a N. arcade of
c. 1330 and of four bays with two-centred arches
of two moulded orders; the columns have each
four attached shafts with moulded capitals and
bases; the responds have attached half-columns.
The S. wall is built of or faced with early 16th-century brick and has a moulded plinth with
panels of flint-inlay and an embattled parapet
resting on a trefoiled corbel-table. In the S. wall
are three windows all of brick and of early 16th-century date; the easternmost is of four four-centred
lights with plain tracery in a four-centred head
with a moulded label; the second window is
similar but of two lights with a spandrel in the
head; the westernmost window is similar but of
five lights without tracery; between the two
western windows is the S. doorway, all modern
externally but with an early 16th-century four-centred rear-arch.
The North Aisle (8½ ft. wide) has in the N. wall
three 14th-century windows, the easternmost is of
three pointed lights in a segmental-pointed head
with a moulded label; the two western windows
(Plate, p. 143) are each of two trefoiled ogee lights
with tracery in a two-centred head and a moulded
label; between them is the 14th-century N. doorway with jambs and two-centred arch of two
moulded orders; above it is a modern gabled
weathering, probably indicating the former existence of a porch. In the W. wall is a window
similar to the western window in the N. wall.
The West Tower (12 ft. square) is of three stages
with an embattled parapet and is of early 15th-century date. The two-centred tower-arch is of
three hollow-chamfered or moulded orders of which
the inner two die on to the square responds; the
outer order is continuous; N. of it is the staircase
doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred
arch. The W. window is of two cinquefoiled lights
with tracery in a two-centred head; below it is
a doorway with moulded jambs, two-centred arch
and label. The second stage has in the N., S. and
W. walls a window of one trefoiled light in a square
head with a moulded label. The bell-chamber has
in each wall a window of two cinquefoiled lights
under a square head with a moulded label.
The South Porch is entirely of red brick with
black brick diapering and is of early 16th-century
date; it has a trefoiled corbel-table and an embattled parapet, crow-stepped at the S. end and
finished with crocketed pinnacles at the angles.
and a truncated pinnacle at the apex. The moulded
plinth has trefoil-headed panels of flint-inlay. The
outer archway has moulded jambs and four-centred
arch with a double label, four-centred and square;
above it is a projection on moulded corbelling and
enclosing a niche with a four-centred head surmounted by three trefoil-headed panels with a
stepped and moulded label. The side walls have
each a window of three transomed and four-centred
lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label.
The roof has a brick vault (Plate, p. 133) with
diagonal, cross and intermediate ribs springing
from moulded corbels and having in the middle
a shield with a merchant's mark. Above the
S. doorway of the nave and below the vaulting is
a four-centred and moulded wall-arch resting on
splayed angles with four-centred niches and on
a squinch sprung across the N.W. angle of the
porch. The bench on each side of the porch is
supported on two three-centred arches of brick.
The Roof of the nave is of early 17th-century
date, much restored; it is of four bays with
moulded wall-plates with arabesque and other
ornament; the middle tie-beam has small pendants at the base of the principals; the other tiebeams and the intermediate principals have small
Fittings—Bells: eight; 6th, 7th and 8th by
Miles Graye, 1624. Brass: In chancel—on N. wall,
to Judith (Gaell), wife of Robert Aylett, LL.D.,
1623, inscription only. Chair: In chancel—
with carved back and rail, late 17th-century.
Chests: In vestry—(1) dug-out with cambered
lid, three locks, one hasp missing, mediaeval;
(2) panelled and carved front, with remains of
inlay, c. 1600, partly restored. Coffin-lid: Under
N. arcade—tapering slab, with double hollowchamfered edge and cross in relief with trefoiled
ends, late 13th - century. Doors: In S. doorway, of overlapping battens with strap-hinges
and stock-lock, early 16th-century. On modern
door to turret staircase, strap-hinges and key-plate
with protective device, 16th-century. Glass: In
nave—in S.E. window, crowned rose with initials
E.R. and fragments of border, 16th-century. In
N. aisle—in middle window in N. wall, heads of
tabernacle work; in tracery foliated designs,
14th-century, in situ. Monuments: In N. aisle—
in N. wall, (1) tomb-recess with shafted jambs,
moulded ogee arch, label and foliated finial, late
14th-century, restored in cement. In churchyard—
(2) to John Butcher, 1707, vicar of the parish,
head-stone; (3) to John Andrews, 1687, headstone; (4) to John Angier, 1695, head-stone with
skull and cross-bones; (5) to John Joscelyn, 1704,
head-stone. Niche: See Architectural Description,
S. porch. Piscinae: In chancel—with trefoiled
head and moulded label, early 14th-century, much
restored. In S. aisle—in S. wall, with moulded
jambs and defaced cusped head, broken octofoiled
drain, c. 1330. Sedile: In chancel—sill of N.E.
and S.E. windows carried down to form seat.
Stoup: In nave—E. of S. doorway, with plain
pointed head, date uncertain, basin destroyed.
Table: In vestry—small, with turned legs and
fluted front to drawer, 17th-century. Tiles: In
vestry—loose incised and slip-tiles, one with the
arms of Vere, the other with those of (?) Shirley,
c(2). Houchin's Farm, (Plate, p. 188) house,
barn, and moat, nearly 2 m. N. of the church.
The House is of three storeys with attics,
timber - framed and partly plastered and partly
weather - boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was
built c. 1600 and is of L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the E. and N.
The second and third storeys of the main
block project on the S. side and at the W. end
with moulded bressumers and carved male and
female grotesque figures set diagonally at the angles
to serve as brackets. At the W. end are two
original windows with moulded mullions and now
blocked. Inside the building several rooms have
original chamfered ceiling-beams and there is
some original panelling in the hall. The E. room
has an original oak overmantel divided into three
bays by pilasters; each bay has a richly carved
arched panel with pilasters at the sides and a
pendant key-block; the carved frieze is divided
into bays by modillions.
The Barn, S.E. of the house, is of c. 1600 and
of eleven aisled bays with two porches. It is
timber-framed and weather-boarded.
The Moat surrounds the house.
Condition—Of house, good.
d(3). Prested Hall, house and moat, about
¾ m. S.E. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with attics, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. Parts of the structure may
be of c. 1527, the modern date on the W. porch,
but there is little evidence of this as the house
has been almost completely altered. Inside the
building are some exposed ceiling-beams and a
little panelling of c. 1600.
The Moat is fragmentary.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
d(4). Feeringbury, house and outbuilding,
nearly 1 m. N.W. of the church. The House
is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered;
the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 15th century
with a central Hall and cross-wings at the N. and S.
ends. The Hall was divided into two storeys in the
17th century and there are large modern additions
on the W. side. The early 17th-century chimney-stack (Plate, p. 177) of the main block has a
moulded capping and three octagonal shafts;
there is a similar stack on the S. of the S. wing.
Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams
and two overmantels made up of early 17th-century carved panelling. The bay-window of
the N. room has two pieces of late 16th-century
glass, (a) an achievement of the arms of Heygate
with the initials R.H., (b) a crowned rose with
the initials E.R. There are remains of the original
roof of the Hall of three bays and the roof of the
N. wing has an original king-post truss.
The Outbuilding, S.E. of the house, said to have
been a chapel, is timber-framed and weather-boarded. It was built in the 15th century but
the original S. wall has been removed. The roof
is of two bays with moulded plates and tie-beams;
the central truss has curved braces and a king-post
with two-way struts.
In the garden is a 14th or 15th-century stone
boss from a vault, carved with a head and having
the springings of moulded ribs.
Condition—Of house and outbuilding, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Many
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks,
exposed ceiling-beams and wide fireplaces.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(5). Cottage, ½ m. N.E. of (4), has an original
chimney-stack with rebated angles.
c(6). Surrex Farm, house, ½ m. N. of (5), was
built of brick in 1714, the date with the initials
M.W. on a small stone above the original entrance.
There is a projecting band-course between the
storeys. One of the back doors has a flat head
with shaped brackets.
c(7) Lees Farm, house, 600 yards W. of (6),
was built probably in the 16th century.
c(8). Maltbeggar's Hall, 1,100 yards N.N.W.
of (2), has a cross-wing at the W end.
b(9). Palmer's Farm, house, nearly ½ m. N.N.W.
a(10). Hopgreen Farm, house, ¾ m. N.W. of (9),
has various repairs dated 1788 and 1807.
c(11). House at Langley Farm, now three tenements, 1 m. N.N.E. of the church has a N.E. wing
probably of early 16th-century date. The rest
of the house was rebuilt late in the 17th century
except the early 17th-century chimney-stack of
three grouped diagonal shafts. The upper storey
projects at the E. end of the original block. Inside
the same wing is an original king-post truss.
Condition—Bad (now demolished).
d(12). Diddles, cottage, 600 yards E.S.E. of (11),
was built probably in the 15th century and may
once have had cross-wings at the ends. The roof
construction is original, the middle truss being
supported on two posts of which one has been
cut away. This arrangement brings the building
into the class of aisled halls but the construction
is of the simplest character.
Condition—Poor (now demolished).
c(13). Hornigals, house, nearly ½ m. N.E. of (12),
was built probably early in the 16th century with
a cross-wing at the N. end. The upper storey
projects at the W. end of the cross-wing.
d(14). Poplar Hall, formerly Oldhouse Farm,
500 yards S.W. of (12), has a cross-wing at the
S. end. The upper storey projects at the W. end
of the cross-wing.
d(15). Old Will's Farm, house, about ¼ m.
S.S.W. of (14), was built early in the 16th century
and has a late 17th-century addition on the S.E.
The upper storey projects and is gabled in front
at the E. end of the original block.
d(16). Cottage, ¼ m. N.N.W. of (15), has an
original chimney-stack with rebated angles.
d(17). Hill House, house and barns, 600 yards
E. of (15). The House has been much altered, but
has a chimney-stack with diagonal shafts.
The Barns stand E. and W. of the house.
d(18). The Vicarage, 50 yards N. of the church,
has been almost completely rebuilt.
d(19). House, 50 yards S.S.E. of the church, was
built possibly in the 15th century and has an
original roof with two king-post trusses.
d(20). Bell Inn, 40 yards W.S.W. of (19), is of
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the W. and S. The upper storey projects at the
end of the S. wing and there is an original chimney-stack with plain pilasters. Inside the building is a
little original panelling, reset.
d(21). Range of two tenements, 30 yards W.S.W.
of (20), was built early in the 18th century.
d(22). Cottage, adjoining (21) on W.
d(23). Cottages, on S. side of road 100 yards
S. of the church, have been almost completely
altered and partly faced with modern brick.
d(24). Chambers Farm, house, 70 yards E. of
(23), has been almost completely altered.
d(25). House, on S.E. side of road, nearly ½ m.
S. of the church, was built probably c. 1600.
d(26). Cottage, three tenements, 70 yards S. of
(25), was built probably early in the 18th century.
d(27). House, 50 yards W. of (26), has crosswings at each end. The central chimney-stack
has two grouped diagonal shafts. Inside the
building is a little original panelling, reset.
d(28). Cottage, 100 yards W.S.W. of (27).
d(29). St. Andrews, formerly Feering House,
¼ m. W.S.W. of (28), is modern but incorporates
some old material including some bricks inscribed
M D X in flowing capitals.
d(30). Sun Inn (Plate, p. 123) and tenements,
130 yards W.S.W. of (29), was built c. 1525.
The upper storey projects on the S.E. front. The
bressumer of the main block is carved with twisted
foliage as are the barge-boards of the three gables
above. These gables project and have moulded
pendants from which spring curved straining
pieces with foliated spandrels. Further E. is a
small porch with original carved barge-boards.
Inside the porch is an original doorway with a
four-centred head. One room at the W. end has