26. FINGRINGHOE. (D.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. xxxvii. N.W.)
Fingringhoe is a parish on the right bank of
the Colne estuary, 4 m. S.E. of Colchester. The
church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew (Plate,
p. xxviii) stands in the village. The walls are of
flint and limestone-rubble with septaria and some
Roman brick; the dressings are of limestone and
Roman brick and the roofs are tiled. The Nave
was built in the 12th century. Early in the 14th
century the chancel-arch was rebuilt, the S. arcade
built and the South Aisle and West Tower added.
Later in the 14th century the Chancel was rebuilt
and the South Chapel and South Porch were added.
In the 15th or early in the 16th century the S. end
of the porch was rebuilt. Various buttresses have
been added in modern times, but the church
generally has been little restored. The North
Vestry is modern but stands on old foundations.
Fingringhoe, The Parish Church of St Andrew
The S. porch has interesting detail and among the
fittings the remains of paintings are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26¼ ft.
by 19¾ ft.) has an E. window, all modern except
perhaps the mid 15th-century splays and rear-arch
and part of the external label. In the N. wall is
a late 15th-century window of three cinquefoiled
lights in a segmental head; further E. is a doorway
possibly of the same date but with a modern
lintel. E. of the doorway is a window probably
of the 14th century but now blocked and only
visible internally; it has a segmental rear-arch.
In the S. wall is a 16th-century window of two
plain square-headed lights; further W. is a late
14th-century arch with moulded responds and two-centred head. The 14th-century chancel-arch is
two-centred and of one continuous moulded order;
the responds have been for the most part restored.
The South Chapel (18¼ ft. by 10½ ft.) has an
E. window all modern except the splays and rear-arch which are perhaps of late 14th-century date.
In the S. wall is a window probably of the 14th
century but with a 15th-century window of three
cinquefoiled lights in a four-centred head with a
moulded label and head-stops inserted in the older
openings; further W. is a 14th-century doorway
with moulded jambs and two-centred head; it is
The Nave (38 ft. by 20 ft.) has N.E. and N.W.
angles of the 12th century and of Roman brick;
the building was heightened probably in the 15th
century. In the E. wall above the chancel-arch
is the mark of the former steep-pitched gable of
the nave and a 15th-century window of two
cinquefoiled lights, now covered by the chancel
roof. In the N. wall is a window with a two-centred head and a moulded label with head-stops;
it is probably of the 14th century, but without
mullions or tracery; further W. are remains of a
12th-century window with Roman brick jambs;
it is now blocked; W. of this window is the
14th-century N. doorway with chamfered jambs
and two-centred arch. In the S. wall is an early
14th-century arcade of two bays with responds
and two-centred arches of one moulded order;
the E. respond has a square rebate cut in the
N. angle with the moulding mitred back on to it;
E. of this arch is a blocked doorway to the former
The South Aisle (10 ft. wide) has in the S. wall
a 15th-century window of three cinquefoiled lights
in a four-centred head and mostly modern externally; further W. is the late 14th-century S. doorway (Plate, p. 132) with moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label. In the W. wall is a partly
restored 15th-century window of three cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred
head with a moulded label.
The West Tower (11½ ft. square) is of three stages
and is built in bands of flint-rubble and limestone.
The moulded plinth has flint chequer-work. The
tower-arch has chamfered responds and two-centred
arch of uncertain date. The 16th-century W. window is of three plain ogee lights with uncusped
tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded label.
The roof has a quadripartite vault all plastered and
with chamfered ribs. The second stage has in the
E. wall a wide round-headed opening of Roman
brick. The N., S. and W. walls have each a 14th-century window of one pointed light with jambs
and heads of brick. The bell-chamber has in each
wall a 14th-century window of two cinquefoiled
lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with
a moulded label; they are in a bad condition and
parts are missing or blocked.
The South Porch (Plate, p. xxix) is of flint with
an embattled parapet of chequer-work and a
moulded plinth with trefoil-headed panels of flint-inlay; the diagonal buttresses have similar panels,
and above them, on each buttress is a mutilated
niche with a three-centred head. The two-centred
outer archway (Plate p. 142) is of two moulded
orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting
on round attached shafts with moulded capitals
and bases; the double moulded label has defaced
angel stops and a square head enclosing carved
spandrels with St. Michael and the dragon; above
the arch is a much mutilated niche with a carved
woman's head corbel. The side walls have each
a late 14th-century window of three cinquefoiled
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head
with a moulded label; the window in the E. wall
is much broken and both are blocked; below the
W. window is part of the 14th-century plinth.
The Roof of the chancel is of collar-beam type
and of early 16th-century date; it is of two bays
with moulded main timbers, embattled plates and
curved braces forming four-centred arches and
springing from engaged shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The early 16th-century roof of
the nave is of collar-beam type and is generally
similar to that of the chancel but beneath the
middle of the curved braces, on each side, are
bosses carved with heads, some of them grotesques.
The flat pent-roof of the S. chapel and aisle is of
the 15th century with moulded main timbers, and
curved braces to the principals, partly missing.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by Miles Graye,
1625; 2nd from the Bury foundry, early 16th
century and inscribed, "Sancta Maria Ora Pro
Nobis"; 3rd, uninscribed; bell-frame probably
17th-century. Bier: In S. aisle—with moulded
rails and carved brackets, 17th-century. Brasses:
In S. chapel—on N. wall, (1) of John Alleyn and
Ailse, his daughter, late 16th-century, with figures
of man and daughter in costume of period;
palimpsest on inscription-plate, inscription with
Latin texts; on floor, (2) to Richard Bryan, 1592,
inscription only; (3) to Mary, wife of Richard
Bryan, 1587, inscription only; (4) to Marcie,
wife of Richard Wade, 1601, inscription only.
Chest (Plate, p. xxxii): In S. aisle—dug-out with
five strap-hinges, two ring handles and studded
with nails in patterns and the date 1684, the chest is,
however, probably mediaeval. Consecration Cross:
In nave—on S.W. respond, incised cross formy in
circle, probably 13th-century. Door: In S. doorway (Plate, p. 132), of four panels with moulded
fillets and frame, traceried heads to panels, much
damaged, moulded middle rail and cusped heads
to lower panels, iron drop-handle and scutcheonplate, late 14th-century. Font: octagonal bowl
with moulded under-edge, plain stem and moulded
base, late 14th-century. Font-cover (Plate, p. 181):
of oak, octagonal and of three stages, panelled
lower stage with pierced and traceried buttresses
and cresting; much restored second stage; third
stage with open ogee-shaped ribs with crockets
and moulded terminal, 15th-century. Monuments:
In chancel—on N. wall, (1) of George Frere, 1655,
alabaster and marble tablet with bust in round
recess with laurel wreath border, segmental pediment
and three shields of arms, restored in 1779. In
churchyard—S.E. of porch, (2) to Henry Simon,
1681, and Grace (Lock ?), his wife, 1712, table-tomb
with defaced achievement of arms. Paintings:
In chancel—on E. wall, foliated diaper pattern
in red, probably early 16th-century. In nave—
on E. wall, round head of arch, late 16th-century
foliated cresting with traces of earlier ornament
in dark red, limited by line of early gable; on
N. wall, high up, remains of early 16th-century
diapered pattern of white flowers and feathery
foliage on red ground; above N. doorway, remains
of large figure of St. Christopher bearing the
Holy Child, figures much defaced, background of
meadow and foliated border on E. side, 15th-century or earlier; on S. wall, red wash on E.
respond with traces of earlier ornament beneath;
traces of foliage ornament above rood-loft doorway;
on pier between arches, seated figure of the Virgin
with Child, much defaced and traces of a figure
probably of donor with black lettered scroll;
above main figure a large scroll, formerly inscribed; background powdered with capital Ms;
higher up figure of a crowned woman and remains
of a censing angel, all probably 14th-century
with traces of 16th-century ornament superimposed; on E. respond of second arch, remains
of figure subject with cross at back, much
defaced background of brocade design with painted
rings and nails at top to imitate a hanging cloth;
on S. side of same pier St. Michael with a seated
figure of a woman with long hair and an ermine
tippet and smaller figures below; on W. respond
of second arch, said to be a risen Christ with hands
in foreground holding instruments of the Passion (?),
but almost obliterated; above a half-angel with a
scroll inscribed "In omni opere memento finis";
below it an earlier sexfoiled circle. In S. aisle—on
N. wall between it and chapel, embattled cresting
in red with 16th-century ornamental cresting
superimposed, slight traces of late 16th-century
ornament in S. chapel and nave and of plain
colouring elsewhere. Piscina: In chancel—with
plain pointed head and round drain, probably
14th-century. Sedile: In chancel—with hollowchamfered jambs and four-centred head, all
plastered, possibly 15th-century. Royal Arms:
In nave—on N. wall, Stuart arms in carved and
painted wood, given in 1763.
Condition—Of tower, bad; masonry of chancel,
(2). Fingringhoe Hall, 100 yards S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics and cellars;
the walls are of brick and plastered timber-framing;
the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th
century but was almost entirely reconstructed
in the first half of the 18th century. Inside the
building, are some original panelled doors.
Condition—Good, much altered.
(3). Cottage, at Hyde Park Corner, about ½ m.
E.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timberframed and plastered and partly faced with
modern brick; the roofs are tiled. It was built
in the 16th century with a cross-wing at the W.
end. Late in the 17th century the main block was
rebuilt. The upper storey formerly projected at
the N. end of the cross-wing but has been under-built.
Condition—Good, much altered.
(4). Ham's Farm, house, three tenements, 1¼ m.
S.W. of the church, is of two storeys, timberframed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was
built probably in the 15th century with a cross-wing at the S. end. Early in the 16th century
the main block was extended towards the N.,
probably on the site of a former cross-wing. The
upper storey projects at the N. end of this extension
and has a moulded bressumer. The W. gable of
the cross-wing has an original moulded bracket.
Inside the building the original part has exposed
ceiling-beams and a cambered tie-beam. The
extension has early 16th-century moulded ceilingbeams on the ground floor and hollow-chamfered
ceiling-beams on the first floor.