28. FRATING. (E.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxviii. S.E. (b)xxxvii. N.E.)
Frating is a small parish 6 m. E.S.E. of Colchester.
b(1). Parish Church (dedication unknown),
stands on the S.W. side of the parish. The walls
are mostly of iron pudding-stone with some pebbles;
the dressings are of limestone and the S.W. angle
of nave has Roman brick quoins. The roofs are
tiled. The S. wall of the Nave is of early 12th-century date. The Chancel was rebuilt c. 1300.
The N. Chapel is possibly of the 14th century but
there is little evidence of this; the West Tower
was added about the middle of the 14th century
and the South Porch is perhaps of the same date.
The church was drastically restored in the 19th
century when the N. chapel was extended W. to
form a North Aisle, the tower and chancel-arches
rebuilt and the S. wall largely refaced.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23½ ft.
by 15½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall
are three early 14th-century windows each of one
trefoiled ogee light. In the S. wall are three
windows, the easternmost is of two trefoiled ogee
lights with a trefoil in a gabled head with a moulded
label and head-stops; it is of c. 1300 with the head
restored; the second window is uniform with those
in the N. wall; the third window is similar but
partly restored and carried down below a transom
to form a 'low-side' with a modern shutter;
between the second and third windows is a doorway
of c. 1300 with chamfered jambs and two-centred
arch. The chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (35 ft. by 20½ ft.) has a modern
N. arcade In the S. wall are three windows, the
easternmost and westernmost are modern; the
middle one is an early 12th-century light with
Roman brick jambs and round head; between the
two western windows is a modern S. doorway
with a round cemented rear-arch, possibly of the
The North Aisle (13½ ft. wide) has old walls
to the E. bay which formed a N. chapel. The E.
window is modern except the 14th-century splays
and moulded segmental rear-arch. The eastern
window in the N. wall is modern except the splays
and hollow chamfered rear-arch which are possibly
of the 14th-century.
The West Tower (about 9 ft. square) is of mid
14th-century date and of three stages with a
modern parapet. The tower-arch is modern and
is set within a cemented two-centred arch dying
into the side walls and perhaps of the 14th century.
The W. window is modern; the W. doorway has
stop-moulded jambs and two-centred arch. The
second stage has in the W. wall a single light
window with brick jambs and trefoiled ogee head
of stone. The bell-chamber has in each wall a
window of two cinquefoiled lights in a two-centred
head with a moulded label, all much restored.
The South Porch is timber-framed and probably
of the 14th century. It has a plain two-centred
outer archway and the sides are each divided into
five lights by diamond-shaped mullions.
The Roof of the N. chapel (E. bay of N. aisle) is
flat with a moulded ridge-beam and joists; the
beam has an oval panel in the middle with 'umbrella' flutings and is probably of the 17th century.
The 14th-century roof of the S. porch has ogee
curved braces under the trussed collar-beams.
Fittings—Bells: three; said to be, 1st possibly
by William Dawe, c. 1400 and inscribed, "Johannes
Est Nomen Ejus"; 3rd by Kebyll, 15th-century
and inscribed, "Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum."
Glass: In chancel—in the N.W. window, border
of foliage and ruby glass, 14th-century. Monument: In N. aisle—against E. wall, to Thomas
Bendish, 1603, and Elinor (Ford), his wife, altar-tomb of alabaster and black marble, inscription
with ornamental cresting, two shields of arms.
Piscina: In chancel—with chamfered two-centred
head and round drain, 14th-century. Plate:
includes cup of 1584. Recess: In chancel—in N.
wall, with moulded jambs and four-centred arch,
enriched with small flowers, square head with
foliated spandrels, early 16th-century, probably
Easter Sepulchre. Sedile: In chancel—sill of S.W.
window carried down to form seat.
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). Frating Hall, 200 yards N. of the church,
is of two storeys; the walls are of modern brick
and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the
16th century and has four original tie-beams with
curved braces in the roof and a central purlin.
E of the house is a 16th-century gateway of brick.
The outer archway has two modern inserted piers;
the inner archway has a four-centred arch and a
square label, above which is a moulded cornice and
capping. The garden wall is of similar date and
of red brick with a modern coping; the wall contains several round-headed niches. In the garden
are several moulded stones of the 13th or 14th
century and probably brought from the church.
Condition—Of house, good.
a(3). Cottage, at Frating Green, about ¾ m.
N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timberframed and weather-boarded. It was built probably late in the 17th century and has an original
a(4). Fish Ponds or duck-decoy, 200 yards N.
of (2), consists of two rectangular islands, surrounded by wide ditches.