37. GREAT HOLLAND (F.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. xxxix. S.W.)
Great Holland is a parish and small village
4 m. N.E. of Clacton. The church is the only
Parish Church of All Saints stands towards
the E. side of the parish. It was entirely rebuilt
in 1866 except the early 16th-century West Tower
which is of red brick with black brick diapering.
Architectural Description—The West Tower
(13 ft. by 9 ft.), is of three stages with a
moulded plinth, embattled parapet, S.E. stair-turret and semi-octagonal turrets or buttresses
at the other angles. The tower-arch is two-centred and of four chamfered orders dying on to
the side walls and entirely covered with cement.
The W. window is of four pointed lights with
vertical tracery in a two-centred head with a
moulded label and probably all of brick, but
mostly covered with cement; the brick W. doorway has jambs and two-centred head of three
orders, moulded in the arch and chamfered in the
jambs, with a moulded label. The second stage
has in the N. and S. walls a small opening with a
four-centred head. The bell-chamber has in each
wall a modern window set in an old brick opening
with a two-centred head and moulded label of brick.
Fittings—Bells: two; 1st c. 1400 and inscribed
"Omnes sancti orate pro nobis" in Lombardic
capitals; 2nd by John Danyell, mid 15th-century
and inscribed "Vox Augustini Sonet In Aure Dei."
Condition—Good, mostly rebuilt.