39. GREAT OAKLEY. (F.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. xxix. N.E.)
Great Oakley is a parish and village 5½ m. S.W.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands W.
of the village. The walls are of flint and septariarubble, with dressings of limestone; the roofs
are tiled. The Nave is of the 12th century but
has been lengthened at some uncertain period.
Early in the 14th century the Chancel was rebuilt
and probably late in the 15th century a W. tower
was added. The West Tower was rebuilt in the
18th century and the church has been restored
in modern times when the walls generally were
refaced; the South Porch is an 18th-century
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (37½ ft.
by 18 ft.) has an E. window of c. 1420 and of
four cinquefoiled ogee lights with vertical tracery
in a four-centred head with a moulded label and
head-stops; high in the wall is a small opening
with a pointed head. In the N. wall are two
windows, the eastern is of the 14th century, much
restored, and of one trefoiled light; the western
window is of late 14th-century date and of two
trefoiled ogee lights under a segmental-pointed
head with a moulded label and defaced headstops; E. of the windows is a doorway of
c. 1500 (Plate, p. 142), now blocked but formerly
opening into a vestry; it has hollow-moulded
jambs and four-centred arch, all enriched with
carvings, heads in foliage, crowns and half-angels
holding crowns or shields, the latter (a) a border,
(b) a cross engrailed in a border engrailed. In the
S. wall are three windows, the easternmost is
modern, except for the splays and rear-arch, which
are probably of early 14th-century date; the
middle window is of late 14th-century date and of
one trefoiled light; the westernmost window is
similar in form and date to the western window
in the N. wall; between the two western windows
is a late 14th-century doorway with chamfered
jambs and two-centred arch. The late 14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two
chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the
inner resting on attached shafts with moulded
The Nave (67 ft. by 21 ft.) has in the N. wall
three windows, the easternmost is similar to the
N. W. window of the chancel and is partly restored;
the middle window is modern except for the 14th-century splays and rear-arch; the westernmost
window is of mid 16th-century bricks and of three
four-centred lights in a four-centred head with a
moulded label; between the two western windows
is a blocked 12th-century window of one round-headed light; the E. jamb of a similar window
remains further E.; below the blocked window is
the N. doorway of c. 1300 with double-chamfered
jambs and two-centred arch, it is now blocked;
at the E. end of the wall is the 15th-century rood-loft staircase; the lower doorway has hollowchamfered jambs and two-centred head carved
with square flowers. In the S. wall are three
windows, the two eastern are modern except for
the early 14th-century splays and rear-arches;
the westernmost window is of late 14th-century
date, much restored and of two trefoiled lights with
tracery in a segmental-pointed head, with a moulded
label; E. of it is the late 14th-century S. doorway
with double-chamfered jambs, two-centred arch
and moulded label, with head-stops.
The West Tower is of the 18th century except
the late 15th-century tower-arch with responds and
two-centred arch of two chamfered orders on the
E. side; the responds have moulded bases.
Fittings—Communion Table: with turned legs,
panelled rail with jewel ornament and curved
brackets, early 17th-century. Font: square bowl,
each face with five round-headed panels, moulded
lower edge, moulded base of Purbeck marble, late
12th-century, stem modern. Floor-slabs: In
chancel—(1) to Elizabeth (Cole), wife of Rev.
Richard Drake, 1706. In nave—(2) to Sara,
daughter of Thomas Savell, 1619, white marble
slab. Glass: In chancel—in S.W. window, fragments of tabernacle work, etc., late 14th-century.
Indents: In chancel—(1) of figure, probably of
woman under canopy, three shields and marginal
inscription, 15th-century; (2) of figure; (3) defaced; (4) of foliated cross, enclosing shield, and
marginal inscription, late 14th-century. Piscinae:
In chancel—double, with moulded jambs and
pointed heads under an ogee arch, octofoiled drains,
14th-century. In nave—in S. wall, with moulded
jambs and two-centred head, octofoiled drain,
mid 14th-century. Recess: In chancel—in N.
wall, with plain square head, date uncertain.
Sedile: In chancel—sill of S.E. window carried
down to form seat. Stoup: In S. porch—with
reused trefoiled head, 14th-century. Tiles: In
chancel—stamped with rose designs, mediaeval.
Miscellanea: In walls of chancel—fragments of
cheveron ornament, 12th-century; on sill of S.E.
window, stone quatrefoiled panels, 15th-century.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Some
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(2). Cottage, on N. side of road, 700 yards E.N.E.
of the church, was built in the 15th century. The
upper storey projects on the S.E. side In the
N.W. wall is an original two-light window. The
king-post roof is original and of five bays.
Condition—Ruinous (now demolished.)
(3). House, 50 yards E. of (2), was built probably
early in the 16th century.
(4). House, 120 yards N.E. of (2).
Condition—Good, except roof.
(5). Wash Farm, now Brook Farm, house,
300 yards S.W. of the church, is of T-shaped plan
with the cross-wing at the E. end.
(6). Cottage, three tenements, at Stones Green,
about 1¼ m. W.S.W. of the church.