AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS
IN SOUTH-EAST ESSEX.
ACCREDITED TO A DATE ANTERIOR TO 1714,
arranged by Parishes.
(Unless otherwise stated, the dimensions given in the Inventory are internal. Monuments with titles
printed in italics are covered by an introductory sentence, to which reference should be made. The key
plans of those churches which are not illustrated by historically hatched plans are drawn to a uniform
scale of 48 ft. to the inch, with the monumental portions shown in solid black.)
1. ALTHORNE. (F.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxii. S.E.)
Althorne is a parish on the left bank of the
Crouch, 3 m. N.W. of Burnham. The church is
the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew stands
towards the W. side of the parish. The walls are
of flint and stone-rubble, those of the chancel
are of brick; the dressings are of limestone and
brick and the roofs are tiled. The Nave was built
probably late in the 14th century. Early in the
16th century the Chancel was re-built. About
1500 the West Tower was added. The church
has been restored in modern times. The South
Porch is probably of the 18th century. Among
the fittings the font is noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (20¾ ft.
by 15¾ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N.
wall is a much restored early 16th-century window
of two cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in
a square head with a moulded label, all covered
with cement. In the S. wall is a similar window
and further E. is a doorway of the same date, also
covered with cement and with moulded jambs
and four-centred arch. The chancel-arch is modern
except for the stone responds which are possibly of
the 14th century.
The Nave (38¼ ft. by 20 ft.) has in the N. wall
three windows, the two eastern are of 15th-century
date, partly restored, and each of two trefoiled
lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label;
the western window is of late 15th-century date,
partly restored, and of two pointed lights in a
square head with a moulded label; the heads of
all three windows have been re-built; between the
two western windows is the late 14th-century
N. doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred
arch; it is now blocked; at the E. end of the wall
are the late 15th or early 16th-century upper and
lower doorways to the rood-loft staircase, which
is enclosed in a projection; the upper doorway has
a segmental-pointed head. In the S. wall are three
windows uniform with those in the N. wall; the late
14th-century S. doorway has moulded jambs and a
The West Tower (12 ft. by 10¾ ft.) is of c. 1500
and of three stages with an embattled parapet,
enriched with flint-inlay in a trellis-work of ashlar.
The two-centred tower-arch is of three chamfered
orders, but has been filled in and the responds
re-built. The W. window is modern; flanking
it are two plain crosses in brick; the W. doorway
has moulded jambs and segmental-pointed arch
with a moulded label enriched with carved flowers.
The S. and W. walls of the second stage have each
a window with a trefoiled head and jambs carved
with flowers. The bell-chamber has in each wall
a window of two cinque-foiled lights under a four-centred head with a moulded label, some partly
Fittings—Bells: two; 1st by Thomas Harrys,
late 15th-century and inscribed "Vox Augustine
Sonet in Aure Dei"; 2nd by Miles Graye, 1638.
Brasses: In nave—(1) of William Hyklott, 1508,
" which paide for the werkemanship of the wall'
of this churche," figure in civil costume, Trinity
and indents of two children; (2) to Margaret
Hyklott, 1502, figures of two daughters, one habited
as a nun, a Virgin and child, indent only of main
figure. Bracket: In nave—on splay of window,
moulded bracket, 15th-century. Font (Plate,
p. xlii–iii): octagonal bowl with sunk panels carved
with figures—(a) baptism of a king, (b) man and
woman, (c) king and queen, (d) seraph, (e) two men
with scrolls, (f) martyrdom of St. Andrew, (g) two
figures of men, moulded under-edge carved with
angels, panelled stem, with two ranges of cusped
panels divided by an embattled band, moulded
base carved with square flowers, c. 1400. Inscription: On tower—above W. doorway, in blackletter, "+ Orate pro animabus dominorum
Johannis Wylson et Johannis Hyll quorum
animabus propicictur deus amen." Piscina: In
nave—in S. wall, with rounded head and round
drain, 15th-century. Plate: includes cup of
1599 with baluster stem. Sundial: On buttress
on S. side of nave scratched sundial.
Condition—Of tower, bad.
(2). Homestead Moat at Warner's Farm, 400
yards E.S.E. of the church.
(3). Cottage, 170 yards S. of the church, is of
two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded;
the roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 16th
century with a cross-wing at the E. end. Inside
the building are exposed ceiling-beams.