10. BURNHAM. (G.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxiii. S.W. (b)lxxi. N.W. (c)lxxi. N.E.)
Burnham is a parish and small town 9 m. S.E.
of Maldon. The church is the principal monument.
a(1). Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate,
p. xxxii) stands about 1 m. N. of the town. The E.
wall of the chancel is of squared diaper of flints,
ragstone and 17th-century brick. The S. chapel is
of roughly coursed flints; the S. aisle of flint-rubble;
the N. aisle of rag-rubble; and the S. porch of
flint and rag-rubble. The lower stage of the W.
tower is of septaria with some Roman brick and
flint; the upper stages are of ragstone-rubble.
The N. porch is of brick. The dressings are of
limestone and the roofs are tiled, except those of
the N. and S. aisles which have lead flats. The
Chancel, Nave, North Aisle, and lower stage of
West Tower were built towards the middle of the
14th century. In the middle of the 15th century
the two upper stages of the tower were added or
re-built. Late in the same century the N. aisle
was lengthened towards the E., forming a North
Chapel. The South Aisle was added c. 1500, and
lengthened eastward a few years later to form a
South Chapel and the South Porch was also built.
The church has been restored in modern times
and the upper part of the tower partly re-built.
Burnham. The Parish Church of St Mary
Architectural Description — The Chancel and
Nave (93 ft. by 16½ ft.) are structurally undivided.
The 14th-century E. window is modern externally
and is of three trefoiled lights in a four-centred
head; the splays have attached shafts with
modern capitals and bases. The N. arcade is
of nine bays of which the three eastern are of
late 15th or early 16th-century date and the six
western are of the 14th century; the arches of
the later bays are lower than the rest; all the
arches are two-centred and of two chamfered
orders; the columns are octagonal and have
moulded capitals and bases differing in the earlier
and later work; the responds have attached
half-columns. The S. arcade is also of nine bays,
the six westernmost of c. 1500 and the three
easternmost of early 16th-century date; each
arch is two-centred and of two moulded orders;
the columns have each four attached shafts, filleted
on the outer face and with moulded capitals
and bases; the responds have attached half-columns.
The North Aisle (12 ft. wide) has in the E. wall
a late 15th-century window of three cinque-foiled
lights in a pedimental head with a moulded label.
In the N. wall are five windows, the easternmost
is of the 14th century re-set, restored externally,
and of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a
segmental head with a moulded rear-arch; the
second and third windows are of the 14th century,
partly restored and each of two trefoiled lights
with a moulded label. The two westernmost
windows are of mid 14th-century date and have
trefoiled ogee lights and moulded rear-arches.
The head-stops to the labels are modern and the
tracery has been restored. Between these windows
is the 14th-century N. doorway with moulded
jambs, two-centred arch and label with headstops. In the W. wall is a window all modern
except for parts of the splays and rear-arch which
are of late 15th-century date.
The South Aisle (12 ft. wide) has a late 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights
in a square head with a moulded label. In the
S. wall are seven windows, the three easternmost
of c. 1520 and the others of late 15th-century date;
each window has three cinque-foiled lights with
tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded
label; all have modern repairs; between the
two western windows is the early 16th-century
S. doorway with chamfered jambs and three-centred arch and between the second and third
windows is a doorway in the buttress with moulded
jambs and four-centred head. In the W. wall is a
15th-century window of three cinque-foiled lights
in a square head with a label.
The West Tower (12 ft. square) is of three stages
with an embattled parapet. The 14th-century
two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered orders;
the responds are plain. The W. window of c. 1360
is of three trefoiled ogee lights with net-tracery
in a two-centred head, repaired in the 16th or
17th century and having a moulded label with
head-stops. The internal label has a head-stop
on the S. side and the moulded rear-arch springs
from attached shafts with foliated capitals and
moulded bases. The W. doorway has chamfered
jambs, two-centred arch and moulded label; it is
now partly blocked. The N. and S. walls of the
second stage have each a 15th-century window
of one cinquef oiled light. The bell-chamber has
in each wall a 15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head. In the W. wall
above the window is a large cross in knapped flints.
The North Porch is of early 16th-century brickwork with a crow-stepped N. gable. The outer
archway has chamfered jambs and a four-centred
head. The side walls have each a window of one
four-centred light with a square moulded label
and now blocked. The E. and W. walls have
The South Porch has an early 16th-century
outer archway with moulded head and jambs,
four-centred arch and label; above is a shield-of-arms, a cross between four stars probably for
Dunmow Priory; round it is a much weathered
inscription perhaps reading "Hoc opus erat quod
dominus Johannes Harvy vicarius fieri curavit
cujus animae et animabus omnium fidellum deus
propicietur Amen 1523." Above are two shields-of-arms and a badge (a) Fitzwalter; (b) the
quartered coat of Radcliff, Lord Fitzwalter impaling the quartered coat of Stafford, Duke of
Buckingham; (c) square stone with a star. The
side walls have each a window with a four-centred
moulded head and moulded label. The parapet
wall is embattled.
The Roof of the S. Porch has moulded wall-plates of early 16th-century date.
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st and 2nd by Anthony
Bartlet, 1673; 3rd by John Walgrave, 15th-century and inscribed "Sancta Katerina Ora Pro
Nobis." Brass Indent: In N. Porch—cracked
and broken, 16th-century. Doors: In N. doorway
—with moulded fillets planted on, trellis-framing,
15th-century. In S. doorway of S. Porch—of
linen-fold panels with moulded fillets, early 16th-century. In turret-staircase to tower, with nail-studded iron bands, 15th-century. Font: square
bowl of Purbeck marble with moulded under-edge,
worked round heads of side shafts, cylindrical
stem and four small angle shafts, late 12th-century;
plinth modern. Glass: In W. window of tower—
portions of kneeling male and female figures,
yellow white and ruby, 14th-century. Monument
and Floor-slab. Monument: E. of N. porch—
to Sarah, wife of Josiah Kingsman, 1703, table-tomb with moulded edge and achievement-of-arms. Floor-slab: In N. aisle—with inscription
illegible except for the date 1678. On same stone
to ——(M)iddleston, 1680. Niche: In N. aisle—
now in N. wall, but not in situ, with moulded
jambs and triangular head with carved crockets
and finial, border of carved fruit and foliage bosses
and two shields-of-arms, (a) Fitzwalter, (b) a cross
formy, late 14th-century. Piscina: In N. aisle—
in E. wall, with moulded jambs and trefoiled head,
15th-century. Plate: includes cup and stand-paten of 1638. Scratching: On S. door of S. aisle
—1623 W.M.; on buttress W. of door to S. chapel,
a(2). Homestead Moat at Burnham Hall, N. of
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or covered with slates.
Some of the buildings have original chimneystacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(3). Cobbin's Farm, house, 750 yards N. of the
church, has an original chimney-stack with two
a(4). Cherrygarden, house, ½ m. W. of the church,
is built of red brick. The porch on the N. has a
gable with concave sides and a moulded pediment.
The original chimney-stack at the E. end has four
a(5). Pinner's Farm, house, 600 yards N.W. of (5).
a(6). Cottage, 100 yards S.E. of the church.
Inside the building are original shaped brackets.
b(7). House on N. side of High Street, 150 yards
W. of the end of the street, was built probably
in the 16th century and has cross-wings at the E.
and W. ends. The walls have been partly refaced
b(8). House opposite (7).
c(9). Red Hill at Coleward Farm, 2 m. E.S.E.
of the church, and another at Redward Farm,
about ½ m. N.E. of Coleward Farm.
Burstead, see Great Burstead
and Little Burstead.