11. BUTTSBURY. (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lx. N.W. (b)lx. N.E. (c)lx. S.W. (d)lx. S.E.)
Buttsbury is a parish immediately N. of
d(1) A kiln was found about 1860 in the garden
immediately north of the Workhouse, on the hill
north of Billericay, in the south-eastern corner of
this parish. It consisted of a circular basin of
baked clay, 2½ ft. across and 3 ft. deep, with a
rectangular flue running in a north-easterly
direction, probably the stoke-hole or chimney.
Fragments of vessels were found in and around it
and fragments of 'brown jars' and amphorae were
dug up in the same field. The tradition that a
bath and flue with a tessellated pavement were
unearthed here is probably a distortion of the
above facts. Whatever structure there was could
not have occupied a large area, for trenches and
pits dug close by for a variety of reasons during
the last twenty years have revealed nothing more.
Burials with 'Samian' saucers, a bronze lamp and
beads were discovered in widening the neighbouring road in 1863–6 (Essex Arch. Soc. Trans.,
II, 1863, 72; V, 1873, 211; hence Arch. Journ.,
XXXVI, 73; and Soc. of Antiq. Proc., VII, 371).
a(2). Parish Church of St. Mary stands
on the W. side of the parish. The walls are
probably of rubble but are largely covered with
cement; the dressings are of limestone and the
roofs are tiled. The North and South Aisles are
perhaps of the 14th century but there is little
evidence and they may be of the same date as
the arcades, with the two doorways re-set. The
Nave with its N. and S. arcades, was built late in
the 15th century. Late in the 18th or early in the
19th century the Chancel was re-built and the West
Tower and South Porch added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description — The Nave (26 ft.
by 16½ ft.) has 15th-century N. and S. arcades
each of two bays and with two-centred arches of
two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and
the inner springing from attached semi-octagonal
shafts with moulded capitals.
The North Aisle (7½ft. wide) has in the N. wall
a modern window and a N. doorway probably
of early 14th-century date and with jambs and
two-centred arch of two chamfered orders with a
The South Aisle (7 ft. wide) has in the S. wall
a modern window and a doorway probably of the
14th century and similar to the N. doorway.
The Roof of the chancel is of late 15th-century
date and of king-post type; the middle tie-beam
Fittings—Bells: one, probably by Henry Jordan,
15th-century. Chests : In nave—at W. end, small
framed chest with two old lock-plates and slot
for coins, 16th-century. In tower—similar, with
horizontal iron bands, probably 17th-century.
Doors : In N. doorway (Plate, pp. 4–5)—of wide
battens with remains of two ornamental hinges,
early 13th-century, three added straps with similar
ornament, one piece of purely ornamental ironwork and handle, 14th or 15th-century, iron grille
in upper part, later. In S. doorway—of four wide
battens with iron grille, date uncertain. Monument and Floor-slabs. Monument: In churchyard
—N. of chancel, to Thomas Tyrell, 1638, table-tomb. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to Edward
Francklin, 1680; (2) to Ann (Francklin), wife
of John Lockey, 1688. Plate : includes cup of
1563 and cover-paten of 1567, both with bands of
Condition—Bad, cracks in walls and much damp.
b(3). Great Blunts, 1½ m. S.E. of the church,
is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built
probably late in the 16th or early in the 17th
century on an irregular half H-shaped plan, the
wings projecting towards the W.; there are later
additions at the back. The three original chimneystacks have, respectively, three diagonal, three
octagonal and four square shafts. Inside the
building the ceiling-beams are exposed.
b(4). Bear Inn, in Stock village, nearly 1¾ m.
E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed
and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built
in the 16th century on a T-shaped plan, with the
cross-wing at the E. end; at the back are modern
additions. The gable on the N. front of the E.
wing has original carved barge-boards with moulded
c(5). Hanakin's Farm, house, nearly 1¾ m. S. of
the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the
16th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the E. end. The main block is of one
storey only and has an original central chimney-stack.