19. CREEKSEA. (F.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. lxiii. S.W.)
Creeksea is a small parish on the left bank of
the Crouch and adjoining Burnham on the W.
Creeksea Place is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints was entirely
re-built in 1878 but has from the old church the
14th-century S. doorway with moulded jambs,
two-centred arch and label. The S. porch incorporates the 14th-century jambs of the outer
archway and a cinque-foiled ogee light on each side.
Fittings—Brass: In chancel—to Sir Arthur
Herris, 1631, inscription and three shields-of-arms.
Floor-slab: In nave—to John Cooch, 1711.
Font: octagonal bowl with panelled sides, two
carved with a saltire and one with a coiled serpent
or whorl, 15th-century, base modern. Plate:
includes cup and paten of 1699, the latter dated.
(2). Creeksea Place, ½ m. S.S.E. of the church,
is partly of two storeys with attics and partly of
one with attics; the walls are of red brick; the
roofs are tiled. The house was probably completed
c. 1569 and then consisted of three, or possibly four,
ranges surrounding a courtyard and a long wing
projecting W. from the N. end. About 1740 the S.
part of the house together with the enclosing walls
of the gardens was destroyed, leaving standing
only the outer courtyard enclosure, the N. range
and the W. wing. The house has been restored in
modern times, a range built on the foundations of
the original E. range and various additions made.
The house is of interest as a fragment of a large
Elevations—The N. Front has several original
windows with brick mullions and transoms and
square moulded labels; they are all partly restored.
The two chimney-stacks are original, one is
embattled and has octagonal shafts with moulded
bases; the other has moulded bases but 17th-century shafts, set diagonally. The modern doorway has an original moulded oak frame, re-set.
There is an original lead rain-water head dated
1569. The E. end of the N. range has original
windows, partly restored and similar to those on
the N. front; the gable has a moulded pinnacle
at the apex. Similar windows and gable are at the
W. end of the same range (Plate, pp. 56–7), and S.
of it is an original chimney-stack with an embattled
offset. Some remains of the former W. range
adjoin this stack. The S. side of the N. range has
a square original staircase-wing and several
original windows. The W. Wing is of one storey
with attics and has original windows; at the W.
end (Plate, pp. 56–7) is a chimney-stack with tabled
offsets and grouped diagonal shafts. The middle
portion of this range is modern and may mark the
position of a former entrance archway.
Interior—The original arrangement of the house
is uncertain, but the Hall occupied either the N.
or the destroyed W. range. One room on the
ground-floor has an elaborately carved stone
fireplace and some 17th-century panelling, all
brought from elsewhere. On the first floor are two
original fireplaces with four-centred heads and
plain spandrels and one room is lined with late
16th-century panelling. The newel staircase is
original and at the top are two original doorways
with moulded oak frames.
The Courtyard, E. of the house, has octagonal
brick turrets at the outer angles and in the middle
of the E. side is an original archway with a four-centred arch and pinnacles at the base of the gable.
The Foundations of two walled gardens to the
S. and W. of the house have been uncovered and
the angles of the walls are still exposed.
Condition—Of house, good, much altered.
(3). Creeksea Hall, 100 yards E. of the church,
has been re-built except the N. wing which is of
two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 16th
century and the timber-framing and ceiling-beams
(4). Grove Cottage (Plate, p. xxxiv), about ¼ m.
S.W. of (2), is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built
probably in the 16th or early in the 17th century
and has exposed timber-framing. The front doorway has a chamfered frame and square head.
Inside the building are some original wide fireplaces and exposed ceiling-beams; there is also
a little panelling of c. 1700.