27. EASTWOOD. (E.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxx. S.W. (b)lxxviii. N.W.)
Eastwood is a small parish 2 m. N.W. of Southend-on-Sea. The church is interesting.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Laurence and All
Saints (Plate, pp. xxxviii-ix) stands towards the
S.E. corner of the parish. The walls are of ragstone-rubble with some pudding-stone, flint and Roman
brick, they are now covered with cement. The
dressings are of Reigate and other limestone and
the roofs are tiled. The Nave was built early in the
12th century. Early in the 13th century the S.
arcade was built and the South Aisle and West Tower
added; the Chancel was re-built probably about the
same time. In the 14th century the N. wall was
pierced by an arcade and the North Aisle added.
Early in the 16th century the South Porch was
added. The upper part of the tower fell or was
destroyed at some uncertain date. The church was
restored in the 19th century and the timber bell-turret of the tower is modern.
Eastwood. The Parish Church of St Laurence & All Saints
The church is of considerable architectural
interest; the priest's room is an unusual feature
and amongst the fittings the font and N. and S.
doors are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29 ft.
by 16 ft.) has an E. window all modern except the
14th-century splays and rear-arch. In the N. wall
are two windows, the eastern of mid 14th-century
date and of two cinque-foiled ogee lights with
tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded
label; the western window is of the 13th century,
possibly widened, and of a single lancet-light. In
the S. wall are two windows, the eastern uniform
with the corresponding window in the N. wall and
the western a 'low-side' of 13th or 14th-century
date and of one pointed light; it is set in a wide
14th-century recess with a two-centred arch of
one chamfered order; at the W. end of the recess
is an early 16th-century squint with a rough
rounded head; E. of the recess is a doorway
probably of the 14th century and with chamfered
jambs and segmental-pointed arch. The late
14th-century chancel-arch (Plate, p. 44) is two-centred and of two chamfered orders dying on to
the side walls; below it are the two ends of the
rood-beam cut off flush with the walls; above the
arch on the E. are the marks of an earlier gable roof.
The Nave (44 ft. by 20 ft.) (Plate, p. 44) has in
the N. wall two wide 14th-century arches, two-centred and of one chamfered order; higher up
are remains of three 12th-century windows, the
middle one almost complete and the other two
with parts of the rear-arches, etc.; they were
round-headed and each of a single light; the
easternmost has an ashlar rear-arch. On the S. side
of the E. respond of the arcade is part of a
moulded 13th-century capping probably of a former
recess now cut away. The early 13th-century S.
arcade is of three bays with two-centred arches of
two chamfered orders with a moulded label on the
N. side; the octagonal columns have moulded
capitals and bases and added plinths of brick;
the angles of the piers have been partly cut away;
the responds have each a round attached shaft
with moulded capital and base; above the W.
haunch of the third arch is part of the rear-arch of
a 12th-century window; E. of the arcade and in
the adjoining E. wall are remains of two 13th-century recesses, the arches springing from a
common moulded impost in the angle; the E.
recess has been mostly cut away and blocked and
the S. recess has a two-centred arch and has been
pierced through at the back to communicate with
the S. aisle. In the W. wall is a 15th-century
window of three cinque-foiled and sub-cusped lights
with vertical tracery in a segmental-pointed head
with a moulded label.
The North Aisle (6½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall
a partly restored 14th-century window of two
cinque-foiled ogee lights with tracery in a segmental
head. In the N. wall is a 14th-century doorway,
now blocked and with plain jambs and a later oak
lintel. In the W. wall is a 15th-century square-headed loop divided into two stages and lighting
the two apartments partitioned off at the end of
the aisle; the 15th-century partition is of oak
with a moulded and embattled head and rail,
chamfered posts and ridged muntins; the doorway
has a four-centred head; the floor of the upper
chamber has chamfered joists and rests on braced
corner-posts; the trap-door is of feathered battens
The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall
a window of two lights and of doubtful date with
a modern head. In the S. wall are two windows,
the eastern is of the 14th century and of two
trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a square head;
the western window is of the 13th century and of
one wide pointed light; further W. is the 13th-century S. doorway with hollow-chamfered jambs
and modern head. The walls of the S. aisle were
heightened or the upper part re-built probably in
the 17th century.
The West Tower (6½ ft. square) is of two stages,
the lower of early 13th-century date and the upper
modern. The tower-arch is two-centred and of two
chamfered orders; the responds are similar to the
responds of the S. arcade. In the W. wall is a small
The South Porch is of brick and of the 16th
century and has an outer archway with chamfered
jambs and four-centred arch; the gable has foiled
barge-boards. The side walls have each a window
of one light with a segmental head.
The Roof of the chancel is probably of the 14th
century and is of braced collar-beam type with
two moulded tie-beams and moulded wall-plates;
the eastern bay may be of later date. The 15th-century roof of the nave has four trusses with
octagonal king-posts having moulded capitals and
bases, and one truss with a plain king-post. The
roofs of the aisles are ceiled. The porch has re-used
Fittings—Bells: three; said to be, 1st by Charles
Newman, 1693; 2nd by William Burford, 14th-century, and inscribed "Sancta Katerina Ora Pro
Nobis"; 3rd by the same founder and inscribed
"Sancte Gregori Ora Pro Nobis." Bier: of oak
with turned legs and shaped brackets and the
initials and date C.F. 1706. Brackets: In chancel
—flanking E. window, two, moulded and cut back
to wall-face, late 14th-century. Brass and Indent.
Brass: In chancel—of Thomas Burrough, 1600,
figure of man in civil dress. Indent: In N. aisle—
of civilian, two wives and inscription-plate, c. 1480.
Chest: At vicarage—of hutch - type with plain
styles, two lock-plates, 13th or early 14th-century,
lid later. Doors: In N. aisle—now unhung, of three
battens, with elaborate ironwork (Plate, pp. 4–5)
including two hinges with crescent-shaped enrichments and scrolled ends, also separate straps and
crescent-shaped pieces similarly ornamented, late
12th or early 13th-century; in doorway of partition, of overlapping battens with chamfered frame
and strap-hinges, 15th-century. In S. aisle—in S.
doorway, of three battens covered with extensive
remains of scrolled and foliated ironwork (Plate,
p. 45), nail-studded, on this has been applied two
hinges and a strap similar to those on the door in
the N. aisle, one of these is defective and the strap
has remains of an inscription in Lombardic letters
probably reading "Pax regat intrantes eadem
regat egredientes," cross-shaped scutcheon with
foliated ends and a straight border with enrichment
of cheverons or crossed lines, late 13th-century with
late 12th or early 13th-century hinges, etc., applied.
Font (Plate, pp. xlii–iii): round tapering bowl with
round interlacing arcade with simply foliated
spandrels and resting on tall pilasters with crudely
moulded capitals and bases, plain stem and
moulded base, late 12th-century. Monuments and
Floor-slab. Monuments: In churchyard—on S.E.,
(1) to Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Dighton, 1708,
Thomas her son and Mary her granddaughter,
head-stone; E. of chancel, (2) to Thomas Purchas,
1657 (?), table-tomb. Floor-slab: In N. aisle—
to Elizabeth Hooker, 1666. Niches: In S. aisle
—in E. wall, with moulded jambs and modern
head, probably 14th-century. On S. porch—above
outer archway, of brick with trefoiled head and
square label, early 16th-century. Paintings: Traces
of paintings on piers of S. arcade, date uncertain.
Panelling: Incorporated in modern framing in
porch, 17th-century. Piscinae: In S. aisle—in S.
wall, with square head and quatre-foiled drain, 14th-century. Loose in N. aisle—square bowl and
drain, said to have come from chancel. Plate:
includes cup and cover-paten of 1562, the former
with band of engraved ornament. Stoup: In S.
porch—rough recess partly broken away and
covered with plaster. Miscellanea: In S. aisle—
forming sill of S.E. window, stone slab with
moulded edge from tomb or altar, possibly 14th-century.
Condition—Fairly good, but roofs defective.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings
have exposed ceiling-beams and original chimneystacks.
b(2). House, now two tenements, 300 yards
W.S.W. of the church, was built in the 16th century
and has a later addition at the S. end. Inside the
building some of the timber-framing is exposed.
b(3). Old Workhouse, 550 yards W.S.W. of the
b(4). Bellhouse Farm, house, about 1½ m. W. of
the church, is of two storeys with attics. It was
built in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the S. and W. and a
staircase in the angle. Modern additions have
been built on the W. side of both wings.
The upper storey projects on the N. front and
has an original moulded fascia and curved
brackets. In the roof are two gabled dormers.
The S. front of the E. wing of the original
house is gabled and has a projecting upper
storey with curved brackets. The chimney-stack
at the W. end of the original house has stepped
offsets. Inside the building a ceiling-beam in the
N. wing is supported on moulded brackets.
b(5). Dandies Farm, house, at Noblesgreen,
about 1 m. W.N.W. of the church.
b(6). Blatches, house (Plate, pp. xxxiv-v), about
1m. N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics.
It was built in the 16th century on an L-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the E. and
N. There is a modern addition on the W. At the
end of the S. front the upper storey projects and
has an original moulded bressummer with curved
brackets. In the E. end of the S. wall is an original
window, now blocked, of three lights with moulded
frame and mullions. On the N. front the W. wing
has two similar blocked windows; E. of the staircase is an original chimney-stack with stepped offsets. Inside the building is an original staircase
with a central newel. The roof is of collar-beam
type and has curved wind-braces.
a(7). Eastwood Lodge, house, nearly 2¼ m.
W.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars.
It was built early in the 16th century on a modified
half H-shaped plan with the cross-wings extending
westwards. In the 17th century a staircase was
added in the angle formed by the N. and central
blocks. There are modern additions on the N. side
and the house has been much altered. On the S.
side of the N. wing the upper storey projects but
has been partly cut into by the staircase. Inside
the building, in the walls of the N.E. cellar are
four brick niches, three with shaped heads and one
with a two-centred head.
b(8). Westbarrow Hall, house, now two tenements,
½ m. N.N.E. of the church, was built in the 15th
century with a central hall and cross-wings at the
E. and W. ends. The W. wing was re-built in the
17th century and has since been largely refaced
with brick. The roofs to the hall and W. wing
have been partly re-built, and smoke-blackened
timbers in the former suggest that the first floor
of the central block is an insertion. There is a
modern addition on the N. On both the N. and
S. fronts the upper storey of the W. wing projects.
In the W. wall of the E. wing is a partly blocked
window with diamond-shaped mullions. Inside
the building, in the E. wing, is a 17th-century
staircase with flat-shaped moulded rail and square
newel posts with shaped tops. The roof of the E.
wing is original and of three bays with cambered
tie-beams, and octagonal king-posts with moulded
capitals and bases. The roof over the W. wing
retains one old tie-beam with queen-posts; the
side purlins have curved wind-braces.
b(9). Old Workhouse, on E. side of the main road
to Rochford, 1m. E.N.E. of the church. The N.
end of the building is of 15th-century date and is
probably all that remains of a fairly large house,
the existing building on the S. being of 18th-century
date. On the E. the upper storey projects and has
one curved bracket. On the N. is an original
chimney-stack with crow-stepped offsets. Inside
the building on the ground-floor the timber-framing
b(10). Three Ashes Inn, now a shop and two
tenements, 300 yards N.N.E. of (9), was built
late in the 16th century. Late 17th-century and
modern additions on the E. make the existing
building L-shaped on plan with wings projecting
to the S. and W.
a(11). Cottage, on E. side of the main road to
Rochford, about 1¼ m. N.E. of the church, was
built probably in the 16th century as the W. wing
of a larger house; it has been very much
altered. On the S. front the upper storey
projects and has a moulded barge-board to the
gable. Inside the building the timber-framing is
Fambridge, see North Fambridge and South