Foulness

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1923

Supporting documents

Page

47

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Foulness', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex, Volume 4: South East (1923), pp. 47. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=123333 Date accessed: 02 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

29. FOULNESS. (G.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. lxxi. S.W.)

Foulness is an island and parish on the S. side of the Crouch, 8 m. N.E. of Southend-on-Sea.

Roman

(1). A tumulus on Loading Marsh, Little Shelford, was found to contain a large urn enclosing burnt bones and surrounded by seven or eight other vessels of which two were 'Samian,' apparently of early 2nd-century date. The mound was destroyed. Another tumulus was said to exist close by.

(Brit. Arch. Assoc. Journ., IV, 74. For similar burials of Roman date, see Essex Inventory, Vol. I, Sectional Preface, p. xxiv.)

Ecclesiastical

(2). Parish Church of St. Mary was entirely re-built in 1850 but retains the following fitting from the old church:—

Plate (Plate, p. xliv): includes two cups of 1612 and 1712 respectively and a cover-paten of 1712.

Secular

(3). House, 160 yards S.W. of the church, is of one storey with attics, timber-framed and weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century and has modern additions at each end. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.

Condition–Good.

(4). White House, 1 m. W.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and weather-boarded and partly refaced with brick, the roofs are tiled. The S.E. wing was built early in the 17th century; the N.W. wing was added later in the same century making the building of modified L-shaped plan. Modern extensions have been made to both blocks. The timber-framing is exposed on the E. side of the S.E. wing; on this side is a blocked door. Inside the building the timber-framing and ceiling-beams are exposed.

Condition—Unoccupied and falling into disrepair.

Unclassified

(5). Red Hill, at Little Shelford Farm, nearly 2¼ m. S.W. of the church.



<--Previous:
Fobbing
Next:-->
Grays Thurrock