40. HOCKLEY. (E.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)lxi. S.E. (b)lxix. N.E. (c)lxx. N.W.
(d)lxix. S.E. (e)lxx. S.W.)
Hockley is a parish and small village on the
River Crouch 4 m. N.W. of Rochford.
c(1). Parish Church of St. Peter stands near
the middle of the parish. The walls are of mixed
rubble mainly covered with plaster; the S. porch
is of red brick; the dressings are of limestone;
the roofs are tiled. The Nave is possibly of the
12th century, but there is little evidence of this
except the thickness of the S. wall. The Chancel
was probably re-built in the 13th century and
c. 1210–20 the N. arcade and North Aisle were
built. The West Tower was added in the 14th
century, but the top stage is perhaps of later date.
In the 16th or 17th century the South Porch was
added and in the 17th century the E. wall of the
chancel was re-built. The church has been restored
in modern times, when the North Vestry was added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (29¾ ft.
by 16 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall
are the jambs of a blocked window; further W. is
a modern doorway. In the S. wall is a blocked
window with a two-centred head and probably of
the 14th century; at the W. end of the wall is a
window of one round-headed light, possibly of the
13th century and subsequently widened; further
E. is a 13th-century doorway with chamfered
jambs and two-centred arch. Between the chancel
and nave is a plain braced tie-beam resting on two
posts against the walls.
The Nave (42½ ft. by 18½ ft.) has a N. arcade of
c. 1210–20 and of four bays with two-centred
arches of two orders, the outer plain and the inner
chamfered; the cylindrical columns have moulded
bases and capitals carved with conventional foliage
of varying design; the responds have attached
half-columns. In the S. wall are three windows,
the easternmost and westernmost are modern
except for the splays and rear-arches which are
possibly of the 15th century; the middle window
is of the 15th century and of three cinque-foiled
lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head
with a moulded label; further W. is the early
13th-century S. doorway with jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders.
The North Aisle (11 ft. wide) has in the E. wall
a 15th-century window of one cinque-foiled light.
In the N. wall are two windows, both of the 14th
century and one with a trefoiled and one with a
plain pointed head; between them is the 13th-century N. doorway with plain jambs and two-centred arch. In the W. wall is a 13th-century
lancet - window, now covered externally with
The West Tower (12½ ft. square) is of two stages, the
lower square and the upper with the angles cut back
to form an irregular octagon (Plate, pp. xxxii–iii);
it has an embattled parapet and a small spire. The
14th-century tower-arch is two-centred and of two
continuous chamfered orders; higher up on the
W. side is an outer order springing from stone
corbels. In the N. wall is a 14th-century recess
with a segmental-pointed head of brick and tile.
In the S. wall are two 14th-century windows, one
above the other, the lower of one cinque-foiled ogee
light and the upper of one trefoiled light. The
14th-century W. doorway has cemented jambs and
a cinque-foiled ogee head badly weathered and
repaired with cement. In the angles of the tower
are oak posts supporting an inserted floor. The
N., S. and W. sides of the bell-chamber have each
a 15th-century window of two trefoiled lights in
a square head; the mullions have been destroyed
and the windows are much decayed; in the E.
wall is a window of one pointed light.
The South Porch is of the 16th or 17th century
and of red brick. The outer archway has a square
18th-century wooden frame. The side walls have
each a window of one four-centred light.
The Roof of the nave is of the 14th century and
of three bays with king-post trusses; the king-posts have moulded capitals and one bay has
14th-century moulded wall-plates. The N. aisle
has a plain pent roof of doubtful date. The S.
porch has a 16th or 17th-century roof of collar-beam type with one cambered tie-beam.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by John Hodson,
1657; 2nd by James Bartlet, 1684; 3rd by Miles
Graye, 1626. The bell-frame is old. Font (Plate,
pp. xlii-iii): octagonal bowl of Purbeck marble,
each face with two shallow pointed panels,
octagonal stem with attached shafts at the
angles, early 13th-century, much weathered and
stem cut down. Glass: In N. aisle—in E.
window, four quarries (made up of fragments
of an inscription) with the word "deus" in
black-letter and two with the word "...ictus,"
15th-century. Monuments: In churchyard—S.
side, (1) to Elizabeth, wife of William Richman,
1711, head-stone; (2) to Elizabeth, daughter of
William Richman, 1714, head-stone. Piscina: In
chancel—with chamfered jambs widened out to
the square head, round drain, probably 13th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1562 with band
of engraved ornament. Stoup: In S. porch—
with trefoiled head, 14th-century, much mutilated.
Miscellanea: Incorporated in S. and W. walls of
churchyard, numerous worked stones.
Condition—Poor, cracks in various places and
some stonework much weathered.
b(2). Homestead Moat, at Shepherd's Farm,
about ½ m. N.W. of the church.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings
have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling
c(3). Hockley Hall, 100 yards S.S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics. It was
built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the S. and W., but has been much altered
and added to on the N. and S.
c(4). Lower Hockley Hall, nearly 1 m. N.E. of
the church, has modern additions on the S., E.
e(5). Bett's Farm, 1,450 yards S.E. of the
church, was originally of the central-chimney type
of plan, but modern additions on the N.E. and
S.E. makes the present plan T-shaped. It has
been entirely refaced with modern brick and
e(6). Cottage, ¼ m. W.S.W. of (5), is of the
central-chimney type, with a projecting gabled bay
in the centre of the E. front carried on modern
columns; there is a modern addition at the back.
In the gable of the bay is painted the date 1611.
Inside the building one of the ground-floor rooms
has an early 17th-century door and the staircase
on the ground-floor has some late 17th-century
balusters, an old newel and a short length of
d(7). Whitbreads, house, 1,600 yards S.S.W. of
the church, has been much altered and added to.
d(8). White House, 450 yards W. of (7), is a small
cottage of the central-chimney type, much altered,
on to which has been built a modern house.
c(9). Plumberow Mount (Plate, p. xxxvii), about
1 m. E.N.E. of the church, is circular, about 76 ft.
in diameter at the base and 14 ft. high. Excavations
undertaken in 1914, though inconclusive, yielded a
coin of Domitian, much Roman and some Saxon
pottery (all fragmentary), but no certain indication
either of the purpose or of the date of the mound,
save that it is obviously not pre-Roman. (See
Essex Arch. Soc. Trans., N.S., XIII, 224–237.)
a(10). Mounds, ten or more, N. of the Crouch
and about 1¾ m. N. of the church. They vary
greatly in size and height, and near them are
several depressions or pans. The mounds have
been excavated and were assumed to have been
connected with mediaeval salt workings.