Outer Burton
Introduction

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Nigel J. Tringham (Editor)

Year published

2003

Supporting documents

Page

163

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Outer Burton: Introduction', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 9: Burton-upon-Trent (2003), pp. 163. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=12346 Date accessed: 25 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

Introduction

The ancient parish of Burton-upon-Trent included the outlying villages of Branston, Horninglow, and Stretton, respectively on the south, west, and north sides of the town, together with Winshill on the east side of the river Trent. Each place formed its own township and later civil parish and is here given its own article, except that the history of that part of Horninglow added to the urban core of Burton in 1853 is treated in the main article on Burton. A further part of Horninglow was added to Burton municipal borough in 1878, as was the southern half of Winshill, but their history is included in the township articles. Although Branston and Stretton remain separate civil parishes, they too became dormitory suburbs of Burton in the later 20th century.

The north-western part of Stapenhill, adjoining Winshill, was also taken into Burton municipal borough in 1878, but as it was a township in a Derbyshire ancient parish it is treated in an article following those on the Burton parish townships.