(O.S. 6 in. (a)xiii. N.W. (b)xiii. N.E. (c)xiii.
S.W. (d)xiii. S.E.)
c(1). Parish Church of St. Lawrence,
stands on high ground W. of the village. It
is built of flint rubble (most of which is rough-cast) with stone dressings; the roofs are covered
with tiles and with lead. The earliest part of the
church is the Nave, which was in existence early
in the 13th century, when the Chancel was re-built and a North Aisle added. The South Aisle
was built early in the 14th century, and the West
Tower a little later. Towards the end of the 15th
century the clearstorey and North Porch were
added, the aisles were partly re-built and new
windows inserted in them. In the 19th century
the chancel was almost entirely re-built and a
North Vestry was added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (31 ft.
by 15 ft.) has two lancet windows of early 13th-century date, re-built in the N. and S. walls. The
chancel arch is plain, of two chamfered orders,
and is apparently of the 14th century. The Nave
(39 ft. by 21 ft.) is of three bays: on the N.E.
are remains of the rood-loft stairs with a blocked
upper door: on the N. is an early 13th-century
arcade of three two-centred arches on octagonal
columns, with plain bell capitals: the S. arcade
is similar, but of early 14th-century date, and its
columns are more massive. No detail, and little
but the walling over the arches, remains of the
original nave. The clearstorey has six windows
of two lights each. The North Aisle (10 ft.
wide) has two windows of late 15th-century date
in the N. wall, and E. and W. windows of an
earlier date. The walls and the N. door
are of the 13th century, but the embattled
parapet is a later addition. The South Aisle
(10 ft. wide) has been less re-built than the other.
Although externally the windows are of late
15th-century date, the openings are original.
The S. door is modern. The Tower (10 ft.
square) is of two stages with embattled parapet.
The tower arch, with shafted jambs, and the W.
window are of late 14th-century date, but the
windows of the bell-chamber were inserted a
century later. The North Porch has an entrance
archway with shafted jambs and small E. and
W. windows. The Roofs of the nave and aisles
are of the 15th century. The principals are
moulded, and have carved bosses at their intersections; at their feet are carved angels playing
lutes, harps, etc., and the nave principals have
traceried brackets. On a beam at the E. end of
the nave are traces of colour decoration and
the E. half of the first bay of the roof is
panelled to form a canopy over the rood.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd 1685, 3rd early
14th-century, 4th 1587, 5th 1613, 6th by
Henry Jurden, late 15th-century. Brasses:
on the chancel wall, or Philip Metcalffe,
vicar of the parish, 1515: on S. jamb of
chancel arch, of Thomas Shotbolt, his wife,
four sons and two daughters: in the chancel
floor, the lower part of a woman's figure
and an inscription to John Clerk and his
wife, c. 1430. Font: octagonal, of rough
workmanship, probably early 15th-century:
cover, early 17th-century. Glass: in the
windows of N. aisle, fragments, some in situ,
15th-century. Monuments: in the chancel,
at N.E., 13th-century tomb recess with
shafted jambs and dog-tooth ornament, may
have been used as an Easter Sepulchre; in the
nave, mural monument with marble bust, to
Mary Markham, 1673. Piscina: in the chancel
at S.E., with shafted jambs and dog-tooth
ornament, 13th-century. Plate: includes
two patens of 1678 and 1690. Seating: open
seats with poppy-head ends, 15th-century.
b(2). Homestead Moat, at Gardners, about a
mile N.E. of the church.
a,c(3). Ardeley Bury, house and moat,
about ½ mile W. of the church. The house is
of late 16th-century date, but retains little of
its original character. It is built of red brick
with some flint; the roofs are tiled. The plan is
L-shaped with three towers on the S.E. front.
The walls of the hall, on the N.E., are covered
to the height of about 6½ ft. with late 16th-century panelling in small squares. Some
upper rooms are also panelled.
The moat is wide, deep and dry, with an
inner rampart on the N.W.
Condition—House, good, much altered.
Moat, good, except N.E. corner.
c(4). The Vicarage, W. of the church, is of
early 17th-century date with modern additions
on the S. The original building is a small
rectangular block, plastered externally. In a
ground floor room is a carved wood fireplace,
now painted, probably of the 17th century.
Anstey Castle (Parish of Anstey)
a(5). Cromer Hall, at the N. end of Cromer
village, now divided into two cottages, is of two
storeys and an attic, and probably of late 16th-century date. It is timber-framed and plastered,
and stands on a brick base. The plan is
rectangular, with a central chimney-stack,
which has four engaged square shafts, set
diagonally. On the W. side is a gable, beyond
which the roof slopes to the level of the ground
floor ceiling. An original window, now
blocked, with moulded frame, can be seen inside. The oak ceiling beams, the original staircase, and many oak doors remain.
a(6). Cromer Farm, S. of Cromer village,
is a two-storeyed timber and plaster house,
on a brick base about 4 ft. high. At each end
of the W. front is an overhanging gabled projection. The roofs are tiled. It was built late
in the 16th or early in the 17th century, and
has been little altered. The plan is L-shaped,
with the hall in the centre; two rooms form the
shorter wing, and are separated from the hall
by a passage, with the porch at one end and the
staircase at the other. On the N. of the hall
is another room, approached by a passage
formed by a modern partition across the hall.
There are two original brick chimney stacks;
that in the centre is a large hexagonal block, the
other, which projects at the N. end of the
building, has two square shafts set diagonally.
A window on the N. has 17th-century leaded
lights. In the hall is a wide, open fireplace,
with an iron fire-back, dated 1630, and bearing
in relief a pheon, an earl's coronet and the
letters R.L. In the ceiling is a moulded oak
beam which supports plain cross-beams. The N.
room has a wide fireplace, partly blocked, and
a beam in the ceiling with chamfered edges.
Outbuildings—Two large, timbered barns,
covered with weather-boarding, and a granary,
of timber and plaster, with brick nogging, are
all of late 16th or early 17th-century date.
a(7). House, in the middle of Cromer, on
the W. side of the road, now divided into two
cottages. It is a two-storeyed building, of c.
1600. The walls are of timber and plaster; the
roof is tiled. The plan is rectangular, with an
addition at the N. end. The central chimney
stack has engaged square shafts, set diagonally.
In the interior are some original exposed beams,
and two wide fireplaces.
d(8). Farmhouses, two, at Wood End, are
rectangular buildings with timber-framed and
plastered walls, and appear to be of the 17th
century; the roofs are tiled. The central
chimney stacks, with square shafts set
diagonally, are built of thin bricks.