(O.S. 6 in. xiii. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands
on high ground W. of the village, near
Aspenden Hall, and is built of flint rubble
with stone dressings; the roofs are tiled.
The Nave and Chancel are probably of late
11th-century date, but the chancel was partly
re-built and enlarged in the 13th century, the
new work being slightly out of line with the
old. The South Aisle is of c. 1340, and about
half a century later the West Tower was built.
In the 15th century the South Chapel was added,
the E. wall of the nave destroyed to make room
for the rood-loft, and the other walls of the nave
were heightened. At the end of the century
the aisle was widened and the South Porch built
by Sir Robert Clifford. In 1622 the chapel was
remodelled and the arcade built by Ralph
Freman. The church has been much restored
The chapel arcade is of especial interest as
an unusual example of early 17th-century
Architectural Description—The Chancel (16 ft.
by 22 ft.) has a 15th-century E. window, restored. In the N. wall is a lancet window of early
13th-century date, a small round-headed window
constructed entirely of flint rubble, which is
the only 11th-century detail remaining in the
church, and an early 16th-century low-side
window of grotesque detail. On the S.E. is a
13th-century lancet window and the chapel
arcade of 1622. The arcade has two-semi
circular arches and octagonal columns, ornamented with flat arabesque work; the capitals
are moulded and of semi-classical design. There
is no chancel arch. The South Chapel (16½ ft.
by 16 ft.) has a window in the E. wall and
another in the S. wall, which, although probably original, were altered in the 17th century
and have been much restored. Over the arcade
to the chancel is a small shield with azure three
lozenges argent (for Freman) and the date 1622.
The Nave (39 ft. by 18½ ft.) has, on the N., two
windows of the 15th century, much restored,
with a blocked door of that date between them.
The S. arcade, of c. 1340, has three arches of
three chamfered orders on heavy octagonal
columns with moulded capitals. Above the
arcade is a modern clearstorey with dormer
windows. The South Aisle (14½ ft. wide) has a
S. and a W. window of late 15th-century date.
The S. doorway, of the same date, is two-centred
with a square outer order and spandrel cusping;
over it is a shield with Clyfford impaling
quarterly 1 and 4, a saltire engrailed on a chief
two molets, a martlet for difference; 2 and 3 a
cross engrailed, a martlet for difference. The
West Tower (11½ ft. square) is of three
stages with an embattled parapet restored
with brick, and a lead-covered spirelet dated
1721. The tower arch, of late 14th-century date, is of two moulded orders
with moulded and shafted jambs. The
original W. window has been almost completely
restored; under it is a small modern doorway
The bell-chamber lights, also original, are
much defaced. The South Porch (10 ft. by
9 ft.) has a two-centred, moulded and shafted
entrance archway with a square outer order; in
the spandrels are shields with the arms of
Clyfford and Barley. The Roof of the nave is of
early 15th-century date with plain queen-post
trusses and curved strutting. The chapel and
aisle roofs have moulded wall plates, principals,
purlins, etc., all of late 15th-century date.
Fittings—Bells: eight; 4th, 5th, 6th and
8th, 1681. Brasses: on N. wall of nave, of
civilian and his wife, with imperfect inscription, 1500 (see also below). Door: in S. aisle,
oak, 17th-century. Font: octagonal, much
scraped, probably late 15th-century. Monuments: in S. chapel, on S.E., altar tomb of Purbeck marble somewhat crudely worked, sides
decorated with quatrefoil panels, canopy
crested, frieze of quatrefoils, soffit panelled, a
slab at back with brass of Sir Robert Clyfford,
1508, his wife and two daughters, indents of a
religious emblem, figures of four sons, two
shields with the arms of Clyfford and Barley,
and scrolls; traces of coloured inlay; imperfect brass marginal inscription on the top
slab: on E. wall of chapel, small tablets to
Ralph Freman, 1665: Mrs. Elizabeth (Crouch)
Freman, 1635: on S. wall of aisle, to Ralph
Freman, 1634, and to William Freman, 1623,
large, with half effigies: on S. wall of chapel,
at E. end, outside, erected by Seth Ward,
Bishop of Salisbury, to his parents, in 1669.
Condition—Fairly good, except the spire and
the top of the tower. Danger of serious damage
owing to the roots of ivy growing in the lower
courses of the walls.
(2). Homestead Moat, at Tannis Court,
(3). The Rectory, about 200 yds. S. of the
church, is a timber-framed and plastered building of two storeys, the upper projecting. The
dining room has moulded oak ceiling joists,
probably of the 16th century.
Condition—Good; much restored.
(4). Aspenden Hall, N. of the church, was
re-built in the middle of the 19th century. The
entrance hall is linea with late 17th or early
18th-century oak panelling taken from the
(5). Cottage, in the village, about 500 yds. E.
of the church, on the N. side of the road, has
timber-framed and plastered walls, with an
overhanging upper storey; it is probably of the
17th century; the roofs are tiled.