30. BUSHEY, Rural.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxix. S.W. (b)xliv. N.E.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. James, stands at
the S.E. end of the village; the walls are of flint
with stone dressings; the roofs are tiled.
The Chancel was built early in the 13th century,
and the Nave was of the same date, but none of
the original walling remains; the West Tower
was added in the 15th century; in 1871 the
church was restored, and the Aisles, the South
Vestries and Organ Chamber and the North
Porch were built.
Architectural Description—The Chancel
(35 ft. by 17 ft.) has three modern lancet windows
on the E., and on the N. and S. are shallow 13th-century wall arcades of three bays with pointed
arches and a simple label; the shafted jambs, of
Purbeck marble, have circular capitals and
moulded bases of stone. In each bay on the N.
side is a plain lancet window: on the S. side in
the eastern bay is a similar window, now opening
into the vestry; in the middle bay is the upper
part of a lancet window with a doorway under it,
all the stonework being modern; in the western
bay is a much repaired three-light window of late
13th-century date, now opening into the organ
chamber. There is no chancel arch, but in its
place is a 15th-century cambered beam supporting a plastered partition, on which are painted
the Arms of Queen Anne. The Nave has a 15th-century roof. (See Roofs below.) The West
Tower is of three stages with embattled parapet;
on the N.E. is a newel staircase which terminates
above the parapet in a turret. The moulded
tower arch and one capital are of the 15th century, the jambs, etc., being of the 19th century.
The W. doorway is probably also of the 15th
century, and over it is a 16th-century window
of two lights with modern cusping under a
square head. The windows of the upper stages
are of the 19th century. The chancel Roof is
modern, but has 15th-century wall plates; the
nave has a fine 15th-century open timber roof
with alternate hammer-beam and tie-beam
Fittings—Bells: eight, 5th and 6th by
William Eldridge, 1664; 7th by Roger Landon,
of Workingham, 15th-century, with the inscription: 'Sancta Trinitus Unus Deus Miserere
Nobis.' Doors: in N. doorway, moulded
oak frame, 15th-century: to tower stair-turret,
plain, 15th-century. Glass: in vestry windows,
a few pieces with the arms of Gale, dated 1638,
Altham, 1611, and Egerton. Locker: in N.
wall of chancel, probably 15th-century. Monuments and Floor Slabs: in floor of S. aisle, slab,
to William Walker, 1652: in vestry, slab to
Silius Titus, 1637, Constance, his wife, 1667,
and Stephen, their third son, governor of Deal,
1671, and another to John Gale, 1655. Plate:
includes cup and cover paten, 1633, flagon,
1634, salver, 1671. Pulpit: octagonal, with
tester, early 17th-century. Stoup: near N.
doorway, fragment. Miscellanea: in the
chancel, large brass chandelier, possibly 17th-century.
Condition—Good, owing to modern restorations.
b(2). At Bourne Hall; the S.E. half is wet,
and has a slight inner rampart; on the N.W. is
a large rectangular hollow, with traces of brick
foundations near it.
a(3). At Bushey Hall Farm, a wide wet ditch.
b(4). The Rectory, E. of the church, is of the
19th century, but incorporates some remains of
a 17th-century building; one or two of the fire-places, some of the woodwork of the stairs, and
some timbers in the attic and roof are of that
b(5). No. 53, High Street, about 150 yards
E. of the church, opposite the Angel Inn, is a
house of two storeys and an attic, with a central
chimney stack, and may be of early 17th-century date, but has been completely restored.
The ground floor is of modern brick, and the
upper floors, both projecting, have timber-framed walls, covered with plaster; the roof is