(O.S. 6 in. viii. S.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands
near the top of the hill N.E. of the village;
the walls are of flint rubble with stone dressings; the roofs are tiled. The date at
which the Nave, the earliest part of the
church, was built is uncertain, but it was probably in the 12th century; the South Chapel was
added c. 1350; a little later the Chancel was
re-built, and a South Tower added immediately
W. of the chapel, the ground stage forming a
South Porch. In the 19th century the North
Vestry was built, and the church considerably
Architectural Description—The Chancel
(27 ft. by 16½ ft.) has in the S. wall a small
blocked doorway; all the windows have been
restored, but possibly retain a few 15th-century
stones; the chancel arch, probably of the 14th
century, is covered with cement. The Nave
(36½ ft. by 19 ft.) has, in the N. wall, two windows of two lights with tracery; one is of the
15th century, the other is a modern copy; in the
S. wall, opening into the chapel, is a two-centred
arch of two chamfered orders, with half-octagonal jambs of two orders, separated by
filleted bowtells; the S. doorway is of the 14th
century, and the W. window is of the 15th century. The South Chapel (18 ft. by 10 ft.) has
an original E. window with tracery of a later
date, and, in the S. wall, a traceried window
and a single light, also original. The South
Tower is of two stages with a pyramidal roof.
The windows of the bell-chamber are of the
14th century, much restored. The ground
stage, forming a South Porch, has an original
chamfered entrance archway with a two-centred
head. The Roof of the nave contains a few old
Fittings—Bells: two; 1st, with mark of
Richard Wymbish, 14th-century; 2nd, 16th-century. Brackets: in the S. chapel, two, for
images, 14th-century. Brasses: in the chancel,
of priest in cope, early 16th-century, no inscription: of John Vynter, rector of the parish, 1404,
in Eucharistic vestments: of John Wryght,
rector of the parish, 1519, in Eucharistic vestments, holding chalice and wafer: of Anne
Bramfield, 1578: of William Lucas, rector of
the parish, 1602: on S. wall of S. chapel, inscription to Thomas Dalyson, rector of the
parish, 1541 (possibly belonging to the early
16th-century figure in chancel): indents of
figure and inscription. Door: of S. porch,
mediæval, with hinges and iron work of same
date as tower; the name "John Warren" is
painted on the inner side in black-letter.
Font: 12th-century, of Purbeck marble, with
square basin ornamented with shallow round-headed panels, and carried upon five circular
shafts with a moulded base; cover, 17th-century. Glass: in the E. window, some canopies
in glass of c. 1350, the head of a female
saint, some quarries of slightly later date,
painted with birds, and 15th-century border
with "Maria" monogram: in S.W. window of
chapel, shield in 15th-century glass; azure,
two bars or, over all a cheveron gules.
Lockers: in chancel, on N.E., square: in chapel,
on N.W., square. Monument: in the chapel
floor, fragments of large slab with foliate
cross in low relief and marginal inscription in
Lombardic characters, partly filled with composition, of c. 1350. Piscinae: in the chancel,
late 14th-century: in the chapel, of c. 1350.
Seating: some poppy-head bench ends, 15th-century.
Condition—Fairly good; the window tracery
defaced by repairs in cement.
(2). W. of Hooksgreen Farm.
(3). ¾ mile S.E. of the village, track of moat.