(O.S. 6 in. (a)xiii. N.E. (b)xiii. N.W.)
a(1). Parish Church of St. John the
Baptist, near the middle of the village, is built
of flint rubble with stone dressings, and is
covered with cement; red brick is used in the
N. wall of the vestry; the roofs are of
lead and tiles. The Chancel, Nave, West
Tower and South Porch were all built
c. 1350; the North Chapel and the windows and
roof of the nave are of the 15th century. In
the 16th century the North Vestry was added,
and the chancel windows renewed. The church
was thoroughly restored, and the chancel re-roofed in the 19th century.
Architectural Description—The Chancel
(35½ ft. by 16 ft.) has a modern E. window; on
the N. is a 15th-century arcade with much of its
stonework renewed, and in the S. wall are two
square-headed windows, probably of early 16th-century date, but one is inserted in a wide 15th-century window, partly blocked; in the same
wall is a blocked doorway; the chancel arch,
of c. 1350, has been repaired, and its responds
thrust out of the perpendicular. The North
Chapel (22½ ft. by 13 ft.) has two wide 15th-century windows with modern tracery, and a
doorway, also of the 15th century, but with a
modern arch. In the S.W. corner about 6 ft.
above the ground is an opening into the
nave; it is probably of the 14th century,
but has a modern arch. The Vestry (13 ft. by
12½ ft.), E. of the chapel, has an E. window of
early 16th-century date, with original iron
stanchions. The Nave (60 ft. by 25 ft.) has
three lofty 15th-century windows in the N. wall,
and three in the S. wall; the tracery is repaired.
Both N. and S. doorways are of c. 1350; the N.
doorway is blocked, and its label and stops
defaced. On the N.E., the rood-loft stair turret
projects from the outer face of the wall and is
continued to the roof; only the head, now
blocked, of the lower inner doorway remains,
and the upper doorway is also blocked. The
Tower (12½ ft. by 12 ft.) is of three stages with
an embattled parapet and an octagonal lead
spire; the tower arch and the W. window of
c. 1350 have been restored. The windows of the
bell-chamber are single cusped lights, with
slightly decayed stonework. The South Porch
(11½ ft. by 10½ ft.) has two-light windows on
the E. and W., probably of early 16th-century
date; the entrance archway is coated with
cement. The Roof of the nave, the beams of
the chapel roof, and some of the trusses in the
chancel roof are of the 15th century.
Fittings—Bells: five; 4th 1651, 5th by Miles
Graye, 1650. Brasses and Indents: in the
chapel, to Litton Pulter, 1608, inscription: in
the porch, slab with three indents, probably
15th-century. Chest: in the vestry, probably
late 16th-century. Doors: in the nave S.
door, heavy, panelled oak, probably 15th-century; N. door of same date, still in situ behind
the blocking: in the vestry, inner door and
ironwork, probably of c. 1525. Font: of
grey Derbyshire marble, c. 1700. Glass: in
the heads of two N. windows in the nave.
painted, 15th-century. Painting: on N. wall
of nave, a large indistinct figure of St.
Christopher. Piscinae: in the chancel, 14th-century: in the chapel, 15th-century: in the
nave, E. jamb and bowl, 14th-century. Plate:
cup and cover paten, 1711. Slabs: in the
chapel floor, several, inscribed, 17th-century.
Stoup: in the porch, damaged. Sedile: in
the chancel, with two-centred arch, 14th-century. Table: in the vestry, 17th-century.
a (2). Fragment, 200 yards S. of the rectory.
a(3). "The Island," 1 mile S.E. of the
a (4). The Lordship (now a farmhouse) and
Moat, S.E. of the church. The walls are
of timber and plaster; the roof is tiled.
The house is of mid 15th-century date and of
unusual interest as an example both of a
mediæval building and of the form of renovation considered necessary at the beginning of
the 17th century, when it was much altered.
To understand the present remains it is
necessary to compare them with what was
almost certainly the original plan. It was
probably of the H type, with the hall in the
central wing, facing N. and S., and the buttery,
pantry and kitchen in the E. wing; on the W.
was a "solar" wing, in the destruction of
which the hall may have been shortened. Early
in the 17th century an upper floor was inserted
in the hall, which was then divided into several
rooms, a staircase was built in "the screens,"
the E. wing probably enlarged, and rooms were
constructed over the buttery and pantry. In
the 19th century two staircases were built, one
to replace the 17th-century staircase, and the
other in the W. end of the hall; a lean-to
structure was also added on the S., and the
whole house restored and patched. The upper
storey of the E. wing projects, and is gabled on
the N., and in the 17th century a smaller gable
was added, of which the projection forms a porch
to the front entrance; the original door remains,
and has panels with cinque-foiled heads. The
windows are all of the 17th century or of later
date, and the chimney stacks have been partly
re-built. The original doorways to the kitchen
passage, buttery and pantry also remain, and
have chamfered, four-centred heads and
chamfered jambs. The buttery is lined with
17th-century mitred panelling, and has a
carved oak overmantel. The room over the
buttery has panelling of early 17th-century
date, cut up and re-set; the ceiling is
plastered and has moulded oak ribs to represent principals and purlins. In a room over
the hall are some linenfold panels, now covered
by the wall paper. Parts of two trusses of the
hall roof remain, with moulded cambered tie-beams, and octagonal king posts which have
moulded capitals and bases, and curved struts;
only the tie-beams can be seen below the ceiling
of the first floor; as the timbers show no traces
of soot the chimney stack on the S. of the hall
may be original, though the fireplace is modern.
Only a fragment remains of the moat.
Condition—Fairly good; the original
structure has been much altered and repaired.
b (5). Broom Farm, on the N. side of the road
in the hamlet of Hare Street, about a mile
S.W. of the church, is a timber and brick house
built late in the 16th century; the roofs are
tiled. The plan is L-shaped; the long wing,
facing S., contains the hall with a room on each
side of it, and has a brick front, with three
gables, which was added c. 1700; the main
entrance, with an oak door, now painted, is on
the S. In the shorter wing, facing W., the one
room was probably the kitchen and has a cellar
beneath it. The main staircase is between the
wings, and there are two small staircases from
the upper storey to the attic. The N. and S.
windows, with square leaded lights and iron
fastenings, are of c. 1700; two of the attic windows in the gables, and two oval openings near
the main entrance are now blocked. On the
W. is a window of early 16th-century date, not
in situ; it is of three lights with four-centred
heads, and has moulded, oak mullions. The
chimney stacks have square shafts set diagonally; the stack at the N. end of the shorter wing
seems to have projected beyond the wall, which
is now built out to the same level, with the old
narrow bricks re-used on the E. side of the
chimney. A fireplace and many of the oak
boards and beams inside the house are original.
A large barn W. of the house, of early 17th-century date, is of half-H plan, built of timber
on a brick base, and covered with weather-boarding.