(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxi. S.W. (b)xxix. N.W.)
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints, stands
in an isolated position about ½ mile N. of
Datchworth Green. It is built of flint rubble
with stone dressings; the roof is tiled. The
Nave is probably of the 12th century, the North
Aisle was added late in the 13th century, and
the lower part of the West Tower is of late 14th
century date. The Chancel arch is of c. 1480,
but the rest of the chancel seems to have been
entirely remodelled c. 1600. The South Porch
is probably also of the 17th century. In 1875
the church was restored, and the top stage of the
Architectural Description—The Chancel
(23 ft. by 14 ft.) has E. and S. windows of c. 1600.
The four-centred head of the E. window is
blocked, and the tracery is modern. The
chancel arch has been repaired, and the bases
destroyed. The Nave (38 ft. by 19 ft.) has a N.
arcade of four bays, with two-centred arches of
two orders on octagonal columns having
moulded capitals and bases; the responds have
detached shafts and crude foliated capitals;
all much repaired. In the S. wall one
window is of c. 1360, the other window has
been much restored, and the doorway is of the
19th century. The North Aisle (39 ft. by 10½ ft.)
has a 15th-century window on the N.E.; the
other windows have rear arches of late 14th-century date and modern tracery. The Tower
(11 ft. by 10½ ft.) is of two stages, with a modern
spire. The lower stage is of c. 1380, and has a
lofty tower arch; the W. doorway is blocked,
and the tracery in the window above it is
modern. The Porch has blocked loops and a
four-centred entrance archway, and is covered
with cement. The Roof of the nave is of the
Fittings—Bells: six; the last four by Anthony
Chandler, 1673. Brass: in the chancel near
the altar, to William Paine, c. 1620, an inscription with symbolical device. Chair: in the
chancel, 17th-century. Chest: in the vestry,
oak, with three locks, 17th-century. Font:
octagonal, early 15th-century. Monuments:
in the nave, on S.E., a recess containing stone
slab with floriated cross, 14th-century; recess
repaired. Niches: over the E. window of the
aisle, inside, remains of three small niches.
Plate: includes cup and cover paten, 1569.
Poor Box: probably 17th-century.
Condition—Good. The nave arcade is much
out of the perpendicular, and, to prevent further
deflection, a truss has been thrown across the
aisle against it, supported by a buttress on the
a (2). In village, fragment.
b (3). At Bull's Green, fragment.
a (4). Hoppers Hall, about ½ mile S. of the
church, is a timber-framed and plastered building of two storeys and attics; the roofs are
tiled. The main building faces N., and is of
c. 1640–50; the plan is rectangular, with a small
central porch wing in front, and a staircase
wing at the back. At some later date, possibly
in the same century, a wing was added at the
E. end, projecting to the S., the N. wall being
flush with that of the original building. The
latter contains a lobby with a room on each side
of it, and in the additional wing are the kitchen
and dairy. There are gables at the E. and W.
ends, and the wings are also gabled on the S.
Opposite the porch is a central chimney stack,
built of thin bricks, and at the E. end is another
stack of later date, with moulded cornices.
Interior—Two rooms have chamfered oak
beams, with ogee stops, and wide fireplaces,
reduced for modern grates; over one fireplace
a painting in oils, of a hunting scene, is probably of the same date as the main building.
The kitchen fireplace has a heavy oak lintel,
and several oak doors remain. The staircase,
probably also original, has turned balusters,
plain square newels with ball heads, and a
a (5). Cherry Tree Farm, about ¾ mile S. of
the church, is a 17th-century rectangular building of two storeys, with a projecting central
wing at the back. The walls are of brick,
covered with modern pebble-dash, but at the
back of the house a little of the original plaster
remains. The roof is tiled. There is a large
central chimney stack with four shafts set
diagonally. The double front door is moulded
and panelled, and is probably of oak, now
a (6). Cottages, two, on the N. side of the
green, form a rectangular building of plastered
timber and brick, of late 17th-century date;
the roof is tiled; the front has been altered in
the 19th century. Over three small, gabled
dormer windows are the initials W.B.D. and the
date 1694, in raised plaster. The central
chimney stack is of plain brick.
a (7). Whipping Post, near the cottages, is
about 6 ft. high; the rough iron handcuffs still