(O.S. 6 in. xxviii. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of St. John, stands in
the park E. of Digswell House. The walls are
covered outside with cement; the roofs are tiled.
The Chancel and Nave are probably of the 12th
century; the North Aisle was built c. 1280–1300,
but the arcade has been destroyed. The North
Chapel was re-built and lengthened by one bay,
and the Tower added W. of the aisle, c. 1510.
The South Porch was probably built c. 1700.
Many alterations were made in 1811, and in
1874 the church was restored.
Architectural Description—The Chancel
(22 ft. by 20 ft.) has an arch in the N. wall,
opening into the chapel, of c. 1200, with a
modern face on the chancel side, and in the
same wall is a deep, arched recess of the
15th century, which was probably open
formerly on both sides. In the S. wall is
a blocked window, probably of the 13th
century; the other windows have modern
tracery. The Nave (31 ft. by 22 ft.) has no
detail of earlier date than the 15th century,
part of the tracery in the two S. windows being
of that period, but the walls are probably of the
12th century. A modern arch opening into
the N. aisle replaces the original arcade of two
bays. The North Chapel (21½ ft. by 9½ ft.) has
two early 16th-century windows, and the North
Aisle (25 ft. by 7½ ft.) has two windows of the
same date, evidently inserted when the chapel
was re-built. The Tower (7½ ft. square), of two
stages, with embattled parapet, has walls no
thicker than the adjoining walls of the church.
The 16th-century single-light W. window is
unglazed, but closed by a door; the four
windows of the bell-chamber are of two lights
under square heads, and are also of the 16th
century. The Porch has an embattled parapet,
and is covered with cement. The Roof of the
nave has 15th-century tie-beams, and the low-pitched, panelled oak roof of the chapel is of
early 16th-century date; the other roofs are
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st and 2nd, 1605.
Brackets: on each side of E. window in chapel,
moulded stone, with shields, charged with
Peryent (three crescents) quartering a cross
paty. Brasses: in the chancel, of John
Peryent, standard bearer to Richard II., and
his wife, who died in 1415, figures 5 ft. long,
man in armour, with part of inscription
and arms: of a knight in armour, said to
be another John Peryent, c. 1430, with two
symbols of the Evangelists; on the same slab,
inscription to Thomas Robynson and his wife,
1492: of Thomas Hoore, 1495, his wife, four
sons and eight daughters, with inscription and
four shields with arms of the Mercers'
Company, Hoore and a defaced coat: of
Robert Battyll, 1557, his wife, four sons,
and six daughters: of William Robert,
auditor of the Bishop of Winchester, 14— (date
not filled in), his wife, 1484, and two sons;
shrouded figures, two shields and inscription:
to John Peryent, small inscription, undated: to
two daughters of Sir Alexander Cave, 1637.
Monuments: in the chapel, mural tablets to
William Sedley, 1658: Francis Shalcrosse,
1681: Eliza Shalcrosse, 1677: and some 17th-century floor slabs. Piscina: in the chancel,
double, 13th-century. Plate: includes engraved cup, 1563, paten, 1673; flagon, 1672.
Recess: in the N. aisle, between the windows,
richly moulded two-centred arch, with tracery
and the figure of a dove in the centre;
of c. 1290; lower part destroyed, tracery
and mouldings well preserved. Screens: between chancel and chapel, between chapel and
aisle, lower part of both destroyed: below the
tower, two doors, probably belonged to rood
screen: all of oak, of c. 1540.