41. EAST BARNET.
(O.S. xlvi. S.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands on
a hill about ½ mile S.E. of Oakleigh Park railway station. The old walls are covered with
rough-cast, and have stone dressings; the roofs
are of tiles and slate. The church was re-built
in the 19th century, except the Nave, which is
almost entirely of c. 1140; the S. doorway of
that date has been re-set in the modern S. aisle,
and some 16th-century material re-used in the
Architectural Description—The Chancel has,
re-set in the N. wall, a 16th-century arch opening into the organ chamber, and a square-headed window of two uncusped lights, much
restored. The Nave (40 ft. by 19 ft.) has walls
3 ft. thick; in the N. wall are three small
original windows with round heads, and between
the second and third is a blocked doorway with
a similar head; all the stonework is of
clunch. The westernmost window in the S.
wall retains its original inner round head, but
the rest of the stonework is modern. The
South Aisle has a S. doorway with a plain, round
head, of c. 1140, re-set; in the chamfered
label is a grotesque carved head. The Roof of
the nave retains its old tie-beams, and has an
arched plastered ceiling.
Fittings—Glass: in N. window of nave, small
fragments of old glass. Plate: includes silver-gilt covered cup of 1636. Recess: in N. wall of
nave, probably 15th-century. Slabs: in the
chancel floor, several of the 17th century.
Condition—Fairly good; the stonework of the
old windows of the nave is decaying.