Winshill was included in Wulfric Spot's endowment of
Burton abbey 1002 x 1004, (fn. 10) and in 1086 the abbey's
manor there was assessed for tax on 2 carucates. (fn. 11) The
same assessment was recorded in the early 12th century
for 'the land of the men' held 'in defence', meaning
land which was taxable by the Crown. (fn. 12)
Winshill became a tithing in Burton manor, and
after the dissolution of the abbey and then of Burton
college it passed as part of that manor to the Paget
family. (fn. 1)
Charters of Burton Abbey, ed. Sawyer, p. 55.
V.C.H. Staffs. iv. 58.
S.H.C. 1916, 240-1.
||Above, Burton, manor.