6. BARHAM (B.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. XVII N.W.)
Barham is a small parish 7 m. W.N.W. of
Huntingdon. The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church of St. Giles stands on the
W. side of the main road towards the N. end of
the village. The walls are of pebbles and miscellaneous Weldon and Ketton stone except the
S. wall of the nave which is of rough Weldon-stone ashlar; the dressings are of Ketton and
Weldon stone; the roofs are covered with modern
tiles. The church consisting of a chancel, Nave
and N. aisle was built late in the 12th century.
The chancel-arch was re-built in the 13th century.
Early in the 14th century the Chancel was re-built
and the S. and W. walls of the nave were probably
reconstructed at the same time; in this rebuilding
the easternmost bay of the N. arcade was widened
towards the E. and the respond re-built. The
South Porch and the greater part of the N. aisle
were re-built in the last century and a bell-turret
re-built on the W. gable. The church was again
restored in 1903 and 1905.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19 ft.
by 12½ ft.) has a partly restored early 14th-century
E. window of three uncusped lights with intersecting tracery in a two-centred head with a
moulded label and mask-stops. In the N. wall
is an early 14th-century window of two plain lights
with a pierced spandrel in a two-centred head.
In the S. wall are two early 14th-century windows
similar to that in the N. wall but with restored
rear-arches. The 13th-century chancel-arch is
badly distorted and has been partly re-built;
the arch was two-centred and is of two chamfered
orders with a moulded label on both sides; the
responds are of similar section to the arch, the
lower parts are of ashlar and there are chamfered
imposts at the springing-level.
The Nave (29¾ ft. by 13 ft.) has a late 12th-century N. arcade of three bays with arches of
two chamfered orders and circular piers and semi-circular E. respond all with carved capitals, square
moulded abaci and moulded bases with spur-ornaments at the angles; the easternmost bay
has been widened, the arch now being segmental;
the second arch is semi-circular and has the outer
order towards the nave terminating in carved
foliage; on the N. side it is carried on a moulded
corbel, the westernmost arch was also semi-circular but is now distorted; the outer order on
the S. terminates above the pier on a modern
head-stop and on the W. springs off the end wall;
the inner order is carried on a moulded corbel;
the carving at the angles of the capital of the E.
respond and of the second pier is of stiff conventional foliage and the capital of the first pier is
of water-leaf type; the base to the second pier
has been clumsily repaired. In the S. wall are
two square-headed windows of 14th-century origin;
the eastern has a 16th- or 17th-century head and
parts of a double-chamfered label have been re-set;
the western window is of two four-centred lights
and has a 16th-century head; the 12th-century
S. doorway, re-set in the 14th century, has a two-centred arch of two orders, the outer enriched with
cheveron-ornament and the inner chamfered; the
outer order is carried on octagonal shafts with
scalloped capitals and moulded bases; the abaci
of these shafts are carried round the jambs. In
the W. wall is a window of two trefoiled lights with
tracery in a triangular head; it is probably of
14th-century origin but the head appears to be of
early 16th-century date.
The North Aisle (4½ ft. wide) was for the most
part re-built in the 19th century. The E. wall
with possibly the splays of the single-light window
are old, as are parts of the base of the N. wall.
Fittings—Chest: In nave, with front divided
by moulded styles into four panels each with
crossed-triangle pattern of inlay in the centre,
top rail with fluted ornament and plain top and
ends, 17th-century. Coffin-lid: On nave—set
vertically on W. wall, tapering slab, possibly
early 14th-century. Communion Table: with
turned legs, moulded front rail and modern top
with extension at either end, 17th-century. Font:
plain cylindrical bowl supported on central rectangular shaft with stop-chamfered edges and three
circular shafts with moulded capitals and bases,
13th-century. Piscina: In chancel—with wavemoulded jambs and trefoiled head, defaced drain,
14th-century. Plate: includes cup of c. 1570,
base probably added in the 17th century and bowl
partly altered. Seating: In nave—at W. end,
seven benches each with plain back, square end-posts with moulded knobs and shaped arm-rests
at each end, 17th-century. Sundial: On S.W.
buttress of nave—scratched dial. Miscellanea:
Loose in nave, much worn gable coping-stone of
Condition—Fairly good, some cracks in N.
(2). Farmhouse, on the E. side of the road,
about 200 yards S.S.E. of the church, is of two
storeys; the walls are of brick and stone and the
roofs are tiled. It was built probably in the 17th
century and has an 18th-century addition on the
(3). Cottage, at the S.W. corner of the
churchyard, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered; the roofs are thatched. It was built
late in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan, with
the wings extending towards the N. and W.
Inside the building some of the ceiling-beams and
joists are exposed and there are two original
(4). Cottage, three tenements, 40 yards S.E.
of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and
plastered and partly weather-boarded; the roofs
are thatched. It was built late in the 17th century
and has some original chamfered ceiling-beams.