10. BROUGHTON (D.d.).
Broughton, the Parish Church of All Saints
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XIV S.E., (b)XVIII N.E.)
Broughton is a parish and village 5 m. N.E. of
Huntingdon. The church is the principal monument.
a(1). A stone coffin, possibly Roman, was
discovered late in the 19th century in the neighbourhood of Rectory Farm. It is now preserved
in the Rectory garden.
a(2). Parish Church of All Saints stands
in the village. The walls of the chancel and tower
are of rubble, those of the aisles of pebble-rubble;
the walls of the nave are cement-rendered; the
dressings generally are of Barnack stone and the
spire is faced with ashlar; the roofs are covered
with tiles and lead. The E. wall of the Nave and
the base of the chancel-arch are of the 12th
century. The Chancel, nave, N. and South Aisles
were re-built c. 1300–10 and a W. tower and spire
were added soon after. The South Porch was
built c. 1340. Late in the 15th or early in the
16th century the West Tower was largely re-built,
the spire presumably reconstructed, the North
Aisle re-built and the clearstorey added. The
church has been several times restored in modern
times, the first time in 1845, when the North
Vestry was added, and the last time in 1907.
The church is not of great architectural interest
but among the fittings the paintings are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (34 ft.
by 17 ft.) has a modern E. window but the E.
buttresses are of c. 1300 and have moulded drips
to the tabling; the corbelling at the base of the
gable is carved with a head and a mask-stop on
the N. and with two heads on the S. In the N.
walls are two windows, the eastern of late 13th-century date and of two lights with a modern
head and mullion and old splays, rear-arch and
jambs; the western window, of two pointed lights,
is largely modern externally but has old wide
splays and rear-arch; the doorway to the vestry
is modern but perhaps incorporates old material.
In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern modern
except the splays and rear-arch which are of late
13th-century date; the western window is of
early 14th-century date and of two trefoiled ogee
lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head;
the jambs and tracery are moulded and the mullion
and label are modern; the window-recess is
carried down for a single-light 'low-side' window
with moulded jambs and modern shutter; further
E. is a late 13th-century doorway with moulded
two-centred arch and modern label; the jambs
have each an attached shaft with moulded capital
and defaced base; the voussoirs of the rear-arch
are painted (see Paintings). The two-centred
chancel-arch, of c. 1300, is of three chamfered
orders, the two outer dying on to the responds
and the inner resting on attached shafts with
moulded capitals and chamfered bases; the base
on the S. is modern; the shafts stand on a projecting wall which appears to represent the outer
order of the 12th-century arch; the angle-stones
on the S. side are original and on the W. face, to
the N. of the opening, is a length of the original
The North Vestry is modern but in the N. wall
is a window of two square-headed lights partly
of old materials; some of the quoins of the building
are also old.
The Nave (53¼ ft. by 20 ft.) has in the E. wall
at the N. end, the doorway to the rood-loft; it is
of late 15th-century date with chamfered jambs
and two-centred head. The N. and S. arcades
are of c. 1300–10 and are each of four bays with
two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with
a moulded label on the nave side and head-stops,
mostly grotesques; over the N.E. respond is a
mask-stop and over the first pier on the N. both
label and stop have been cut away; the octagonal
columns have moulded capitals and bases and
square plinths, the latter partly restored; the
base of the middle column on the N. is of 'hold-water' type and of the 13th century, re-used.
The responds have attached half columns but the
E. responds have no bases. The late 15th-century
clearstorey has on each side three windows, each
of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head
with a moulded label.
The North Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall
the doorway to the late 15th-century rood-loft
stair-turret; it has a chamfered N. jamb and two-centred head; the stairs have been removed from
the turret but a length of the moulded stone
handrail remains. The E. window of the aisle
and the three windows in the N. wall are all of
late 15th- or early 16th-century date and are each
of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred
head with a moulded label and casement-moulded
jambs. The early 14th-century N. doorway has
been re-set; it has chamfered jambs, two-centred
head and moulded label with mask-stops.
The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has an E. window
and three windows in the S. wall all similar in
date and detail to the windows of the N. aisle.
The S. doorway of c. 1300 has a two-centred arch
of one richly moulded order with a moulded label
and mask-stops; the jambs have each an attached
shaft with moulded capital and defaced base.
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is of three stages
with a moulded plinth; it was largely re-built
early in the 16th century and all the details below
the spire are of this date; the spire is of early
14th-century character but must have been reconstructed when the tower was re-built. The two-centred tower-arch is of three hollow-chamfered
orders, the two outer continuous on the E. face
and the inner resting on attached shafts with
moulded capitals and bases. In the N. wall the
doorway to the stair-turret has chamfered jambs
and four-centred head. The W. window is of
three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a
four-centred head with a moulded label. The
second stage has in the S. wall a window of one
four-centred light in a square head. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two four-centred lights in a four-centred head with a moulded
label and re-used carved stops. At the base of the
spire is a moulded cornice. The spire is of broachform and of ashlar; it has two tiers of spire-lights,
four in each tier; the lower are each of two
trefoiled lights with tracery in a gable; the upper
are each of a single trefoiled light in a gable;
the capping of the spire is modern.
The South Porch is of c. 1340 and has a two-centred outer archway of two chamfered orders
dying on to the chamfered responds and a moulded
label with head-stops of mask form. The side
walls have each a window of two trefoiled ogee
lights with tracery in a square head.
The Roof of the nave is of flat-pitched, tie-beam
type, largely modern but incorporating the following—two wall-posts at the E. end with carved
figures of apostles, St. Andrew on the N. and a
man with a book on the S.; six figures of angels on
the soffits of the intermediate tie-beams as follows,
on N. (a) with scroll, (b) with organ, (c) with a
dulcimer; on S. (a) with harp, (b) with book, (c)
with lute; upper part of a figure of apostle with
book; possibly some of the main timbers; all of
c. 1500, also part of a 17th-century dentilled
cornice on the S. side. The roof of the N. aisle
has rough chamfered tie-beams, one with a curved
brace, rough rafters and purlins, of doubtful date.
Fittings—Bells: four; 2nd by T. Norris, 1616;
4th by Thomas Norris, 1661. Brass and Indents.
Brass: In nave—of [Lawrence Martun, 1509,
and Agnes his wife] head of a man and part of
body in civil costume; symbol of St. Luke
in N.E. corner of slab and shield with rebus
"L.M." with a tun below; indents of woman
wearing pedimental head-dress; blank shield above
man and marginal inscription with indents of
symbols of evangelists at remaining corners.
Indents: In nave—(1) of figures of priest and
civilian under crocketed canopies divided by a
shaft and with buttresses at sides, inscription
below and circle for symbols of evangelists at
corners, scroll above figure of priest, c. 1460; (2)
of civilian and wife with inscription below, much
worn and slab broken. Chair: In chancel—with
turned front legs and supports to arms, carved
front rail below seat, back carved with arabesque-work and shaped head, first half of 17th century,
one arm modern. Coffin-lid: In Rectory garden—
refixed on W. garden wall, with foliated cross and
double omega ornament in middle of shaft, 13th- or early 14th-century. Communion Table and
Rails. Table: In S. aisle—with shaped bow legs
in front, vertical, turned legs at back and ornamental shaped rails, early 18th-century. Rails:
In chancel and also in S. aisle—with small turned
balusters, perhaps of same date as table. Font:
with square bowl having tapering sides with shallow
arcading on each face in three bays with round
arches and flat pilasters with small cushion-capitals;
double-chamfered base, N.W. and S.W. corners at
top repaired, c. 1200. Glass: In S. aisle, in first
window of S. wall, small roundel with crowned IHS,
early 16th-century. Monuments: In churchyard—
(1) to Thomas Cox, 1705, head-stone; (2)
to Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Wells, 1699–70,
carved head-stone; (3) to Thomas Wells, 1700–1.
Paintings: In chancel—on rear-arch of S. doorway,
painted joints and voussoirs, alternately red and
with scrolled mottling to imitate marble, late 13th-century. In nave—over chancel-arch, a 'doom';
middle figure obliterated, angels above including
one with a trumpet, to the N. of the middle
of figure; further down on N. side, group of the
elect kneeling and nude except for crowns, mitre,
hats, etc., in front of them a cloaked saint with a
mitre and a crozier, probably St. Peter, and
attended by an angel; behind him the walls and
buildings of the new Jerusalem; on S. a group of
the damned being driven into Hell's mouth by
angels with drawn swords; various devils below.
In lower register on N. the Resurrection of the dead,
ten nude figures emerging from graves in a green
field; on S. four compartments divided by shafts
supporting a roof, red background with flames
below and figures of demons torturing the souls of
the lost, the whole representing Hell; two compartments of this subject returned along the S.
wall. On S. wall, above the compartments last
described, two figure-subjects, one above the other
—(a) the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the
garden, heads of two figures and of angel defaced,
tree in background, field green with enclosure of
garden red; (b) Adam delving and Eve spinning,
cloaked figures with green background and flowers,
late 15th-century. Further W. on same wall, two
portions of 'black-letter' inscription on a white
ground. On W. wall, fragment of similar 'black-letter' inscription. In N. aisle—on N. wall, W. of
doorway, faint traces of panel. In S. aisle—on S.
wall, E. of doorway, large ornamental scrolled
panel with the Lord's Prayer in 'black-letter';
further W., inscription and date "William H . . . .
and Thomas Cor . . (?) Churchward. 1632." This
is probably the date of all the 'black-letter' inscriptions. Piscinae: In chancel—double, with moulded
jambs, trefoiled heads and octofoiled drains,
central shaft modern, 13th-century. In S. aisle—
with chamfered jambs, trefoiled ogee head and
quatre-foiled drain, early 14th-century. Plate:
includes a cup of 1597 and a paten of 1620 inscribed
"The gift of Edward Hodges to the Parish Church
of Broughton in the countie of Huntingdon, the
six and twentith daye of Februarii in the yeare of
our Lord God 1620." Seating: In nave—on N.
side, seven pews with panelled ends and panelled
back to western pew; also front panelling to front
pew with panelled ends, all restored and two with
modern seats; the ends to the front have the roll
from the top continued down the sides. On S.
side, seven pews with panelled ends and front desk in
three panels with panelled ends, back of back pew
in ten panels, all pews have been restored in
places, one has a completely modern seat, all
other seats have been widened; the ends of one
pew have the roll from the top continued down the
sides finishing with small bases, probably early
16th-century. Miscellanea: Used as a coping
stone by the S. gateway to the churchyard on the
churchyard-wall is a large coped stone, possibly a
defaced coffin-lid. On S. wall of tower, portion of (?)
plaster or stone decoration.
a(3). Homestead Moat and enclosure, about
600 yards N.E. of the church. The rectangular
island has traces of foundations and there is a
slight outer bank enclosing a much larger area.
a(4). The Rectory, 100 yards W.S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It
was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th
century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing
at the S.E. end. There are modern additions
on the S.E. and S.W. The upper storey projects
at the N.E. end of the cross-wing and has a small
much altered bay-window; the roof has been
hipped back but the gable retains the two original
turned pendants at the base. The eaves to the
return wall of the wing have a plaster cove. The
central chimney-stack of the cross-wing is of the
17th century and has grouped diagonal shafts.
The chimney-stack of the main block has a square
base with the date 1(6?) 76.
a(5). House (Plate 148), on the W. side
of the road, 120 yards S.S.W. of the church,
is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and
the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the
17th century on an L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the N. and W. The
E. front has a projecting porch of two storeys
with a hipped roof. The entrance-doorway has
a shaped head. The front block has curvilinear Dutch gables at the ends and a heavy
square chimney-stack. Inside the building a
room on the ground-floor has an original chamfered ceiling-beam. A room of the first floor has
an original fireplace, with moulded surround and
cornice and a panel above; another room is lined
with original panelling.
The garden-wall in front of the house is original
and has a gateway flanked by two piers with
moulded cornices; the gateway is approached
by a flight of curved steps.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Some
of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(6). House (Plate 163), S.E. of White Hall
Farm and 300 yards E.S.E. of the church, was
built late in the 16th century. It probably
consisted of a central block with cross-wings at
the N. and S. ends, but the N. cross-wing has
disappeared. The timber-framed construction is
exposed and the chimney-stack of the main block
has grouped diagonal shafts of the 17th century.
Inside the building one room has an original
moulded beam and the roofs have tie-beams with
a(7). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 70
yards N.N.E. of (6), has an original central chimney-stack with grouped diagonal shafts.
a(8). Cottage, on the E. side of Illings Lane,
360 yards E.N.E. of the church, has an original
central chimney-stack with a square panelled
base and engaged shafts.
a(9). Cottage, three tenements, opposite (8), has
an original central chimney-stack with a cross-shaped shaft set diagonally.
a(10). Cottages, range of three tenements, 120
yards W. of (9), have corrugated iron roofs. One
chimney-stack is original and has three shafts
a(11). Barn at Manor Farm, 130 yards N.N.W.
of (10), is of five bays.
a(12). Little Farm, house 50 yards N.E. of the
church, has an original chimney-stack with the
date 1642 and four detached shafts set diagonally.
Inside the building the middle room has an
original moulded beam and an 18th-century corner-cupboard.
b(13). Barns at Lodge Farm, 1 m. S.S.W. of
the church. One barn is aisled and of three bays,
the other is of five bays and has queen-post roof-trusses.
a(14). White Hall Farm, house, 170 yards
E.S.E. of the church, is built of brick, with later
additions on the W. and S. The porch on the
E. side has a moulded beam at the base of the
gable, with the initals and date R.P. 1647.