26. ELTON (A.b.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)IV N.E., (b)IV S.E., (c)V N.W.)
Elton is a parish and village on the right bank of
the Nene, 7 m. W.S.W. of Peterborough. The
Church, Elton Hall and the Rectory are the
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands
S.E. of the village. The walls generally are of
rubble, but the W. tower and S. porch are of
Ketton ashlar; the dressings are of Barnack and
Ketton stone. The roofs are covered with slates
and lead. Foundations of an earlier, perhaps
pre-Conquest, church, are said to have been found
under the chancel in recent years and the two
crosses in the churchyard indicate the existence of
a church of that period. The earliest part of the
existing structure is the chancel-arch of c. 1270.
The Chancel, the arcades of the Nave, and
the North Aisle were built c. 1300–1310; a N.
vestry appears to have been added later in the
14th century. In the 15th century the second and
third bays of the S. arcade were re-built. About
1500 the West Tower was added, the South Aisle
re-built, both aisles extended to the W. and the
South Porch added. The clearstorey of the nave
is of the same period. The church was restored in
1886 and the E. wall of the chancel and the North
Vestry and Organ Chamber are modern.
The W. tower is the finest feature of the church;
among the fittings the pre-Conquest crosses and
the 17th-century incised slab are interesting.
Elton, Parish Church of All Saints
Architectural Description—The Chancel (38¾ ft.
by 19 ft.) has a re-set mid 14th-century E. window
of four cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a four-centred head; the jambs and head are moulded
and the two labels have head-stops, one of a
bishop's head; the E. buttresses terminate in
crocketed pinnacles. In the N. wall is a modern
archway and further W. in the thickness of the
wall is the late 15th-century rood-loft staircase,
now blocked and with three small windows,
also blocked and one not in situ; the middle
one is of quatre-foiled form. In the S. wall
are three windows, the easternmost is of c.
1300–10, re-set and of two trefoiled lights
with skeleton-tracery in a two-centred head with
moulded label and head-stops; the rear-arch is
moulded; the middle window is of the same date
and of two plain pointed lights with a quatrefoil
in a two-centred head with moulded rear-arch,
labels and head-stops; the westernmost window is
of mid 14th-century date and of two trefoiled lights
with leaf-tracery in a two-centred head with
moulded labels and head-stops; below this
window is a blocked 'low-side' (Plate 11) of the
14th century, with moulded jambs and round
cinque-foiled head; there is an iron grate on
the outside; further W. is a re-set 14th-century
window (Plate 11), now blocked, of one light
with moulded jambs and trefoiled ogee head;
above it is a chamfered horizontal label; the
doorway in this wall is of early 16th-century
date and has chamfered jambs and four-centred
head; it is now blocked. The chancel-arch is of
c. 1270 and is two-centred and of two moulded
orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting
on grouped shafts with moulded capitals, enriched
with nail-head ornament, and modern bases. N.
of the chancel-arch is the upper doorway from the
rood-loft staircase; it has a square-shouldered
head and is now blocked.
The Organ Chamber is modern, except for part
of the N. wall, which formed part of a pre-existing
The Nave (55¼ ft. by 19½ ft.) has a N. arcade
of c. 1310 and of four bays with two-centred arches
of two moulded orders; the columns are of quatre-foiled plan with moulded capitals and bases and
square plinths; the responds have attached
half-columns and the E. respond has chamfered
angles with trefoiled stops. The S. arcade is of
four bays, the easternmost and the W. respond
of c. 1310; the other bays are of the 15th century,
the westernmost bay re-built when the tower was
added; the first bay with its respond and column
is similar to the bays of the N. arcade; the other
bays have two-centred arches of two orders, the
outer chamfered and the inner hollow-chamfered;
the columns of these bays are of quatre-foiled plan
with moulded capitals and bases and square plinths,
set diagonally; the W. respond has an attached
half-column. The clearstorey has an embattled
parapet and on each side four early 16th-century
windows, each of two plain square-headed lights;
two of the windows on the N. side are blocked or
The North Aisle (11½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall
a partly restored 14th-century doorway with
moulded jambs, two-centred head and modern
label. In the N. wall are four windows, all, except
the second, which is modern, of late 15th- or early
16th-century date and of three trefoiled lights in
a four-centred head with a moulded label; the
external reveals are moulded; the 14th-century
N. doorway, now blocked, has moulded jambs
and two-centred arch with a moulded label and
head-stops; a few feet W. of the doorway is a
straight joint marking the junction of the extension
of c. 1500. In the W. wall is a three-light window
similar to those in the N. wall.
The South Aisle (13 ft. wide) is entirely of c. 1500
and has in the E. wall a window of three cinque-foiled
lights in a four-centred head with moulded external
reveals and label. In the S. wall are four windows,
all, except the third, of three lights and similar
to those in the N. aisle; the third window is
similar, but of two lights only; the S. doorway
has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label;
the S. wall has two carved gargoyles. In the W.
wall is a three-light window similar to those in
the S. wall.
The West Tower (14½ ft. by 17¾ ft.) is of
c. 1500 and of three stages (Plate 48) with clasping
buttresses, moulded plinth and plain parapet,
raised at the angles; there are gargoyles at
the angles and bands of quatrefoils below the
parapet-string, between the two upper stages and
on the plinth; the whole structure is ashlar-faced.
The two-centred tower-arch is of three moulded
orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting
on attached shafts with moulded bases and capitals.
The N. and S. walls have each a similar arch, but
of less height. The E., N. and S. walls of the tower
have each a hollow-chamfered inner arch or order,
rising to the full height of the ground-stage. The
W. window is of three trefoiled lights with tracery in
a two-centred head, with moulded jambs and label;
the W. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch in a square head with traceried spandrels and a moulded label with defaced stops carved
with angels holding shields; further S. the doorway
to the turret-staircase has moulded jambs and
four-centred head. The second stage has in each
face of the N., S. and W. walls a window of two
trefoiled lights in a two-centred head with moulded
reveals and label. The bell-chamber has in each
wall a window of three trefoiled lights with transom
and tracery in a two-centred head with moulded
reveals and label.
The South Porch is of c. 1500, ashlar-faced, with
a moulded plinth and parapet and a carved gargoyle
in the middle of each side wall. The four-centred
outer archway is of two moulded orders, the outer
continuous and the inner resting on attached shafts
with moulded and embattled capitals and moulded
bases; there is a moulded label. In the E. wall is
a window of two trefoiled lights in a four-centred
head with moulded reveals and label.
The Roof of the N. aisle is of c. 1500, considerably
restored; it is low-pitched and of five bays with
moulded tie-beams and other main timbers and
curved braces; the westernmost bay has been
entirely re-built. The roof of the S. aisle is of
similar form and date with moulded main timbers.
The tie-beam roof of the S. porch is of c. 1500,
much restored and of two bays with moulded main
timbers and chamfered stone corbels under the
Fittings—Bells: five; 1st and 5th by Thomas
Norris, 1631. Brackets: In S. aisle—on E. wall,
moulded with semi-hexagonal projection and
foliated termination; part of similar bracket now
incorporated in one of the Proby monuments, both
c. 1500. Brass Indent: In S. porch—of civilian
and wife, children, Trinity, inscription-plate and
shield, 15th-century. Chair: In chancel—with
panelled back, top rail carved with guilloche
ornament, turned front legs, mid 17th-century,
arms and seat modern. Coffins and coffin-lids:
In W. tower—(1) coped lid with foliated cross and
'omega' ornament. In churchyard—N. of N. aisle,
(2) fragments of coffin and lid, all late 13th- or
early 14th-century. Communion Table: modern,
but incorporating two moulded brackets from
former, roof, each carved with figure of an angel
holding a musical instrument, 15th-century,
said to have come from Peterborough. Crosses:
In churchyard—N.W. of N. aisle, portions of
two standing crosses (Plate 50), both with pierced
wheel-heads, one with round bosses in middle of
each face, sides of both carved with panels of inter-lacing knotwork and similar panels on faces of
plinth of one cross, 11th-century, repaired in
cement. Font: octagonal bowl with moulded
edge, each side with trefoil-headed panel, plain
stem and restored plinth, early 14th-century,
altered in the 15th century. Monuments and
Floor-slabs. Monuments: In S. aisle—On E.
wall, (1) to Thomas Proby, 1684, white marble
draped tablet (Plate 25), with cherub-head and
achievement-of-arms; (2) to John Proby,
1710, and to Frances his daughter, 1711,
black and white marble tablet (Plate 25), with
Composite side columns, entablatures and broken
scrolled pediment, cherub-head and shield-of-arms below; on S. wall, (3) to Sir Thomas
Proby, Bart., 1689, white and black marble tablet
with Composite side-columns, etc., somewhat
similar to (2), shield-of-arms and cherub-head
below. On S. side of S. arcade, over first column,
(4) to Helen, 1670, Heneage, 1671, Elizabeth,
1679, and Frances, 1680, children of Sir Thomas
Proby, Bart., oval white marble tablet with carved
edge and cherub-head; over second column, (5)
to Sir Richard Sapcote, shaped slab with name
only and shield-of-arms, three dovecotes for Sapcote
impaling three weather-vanes, late 15th-century; it
may indicate that he re-built the arcade. Loose at
W. end of church—(6) to Thomas Lea, 1687–88,
stone tablet with sunk panel and scrolled
pediment. Floor-slabs: In S. aisle (1) to E.P.
(Elizabeth Proby), 1679; (2) to T.P. (Thomas
Proby), 1684; (3) to E.P., 1670; (4) to T.P.
(Thomas Proby), 1689; (5) to F.P. (Frances Proby),
1680; (6) to H.P. (Heneage Proby), 1671; (7) to
Robert Sappcott, 1600–01, alabaster slab (Plate
127) with incised figure in full plate-armour, with
plumed helmet, crest and oval shield on left arm,
with the Sapcot arms, inlaid in black composition,
marginal inscription, much mutilated. Niches: On
W. face of tower—above W. window, moulded corbel
with carved eagle, recess with moulded jambs and
cinque-foiled crocketed head, ribbed soffit, c. 1500.
On S. porch—over S. archway, three, middle one
with cinque-foiled crocketed head, vaulted soffit,
moulded jambs and embattled bracket with
carved grotesque head; side niches similar, but
brackets simply moulded, c. 1500. Piscina:
(Plate 141) in range with sedilia, with moulded
cinque-foiled head, shafted E. jamb with moulded
capital and base, moulded label, with head-stop
and sex-foiled drain, early 14th-century. In S.
aisle—re-set in E. wall, recess with four-centred
chamfered head, sex-foiled drain, early 16th-century, partly restored. Plate: includes cup of
1571 with band of incised ornament and repaired
stem, small Elizabethan cup with similar ornament;
cover-paten of 1571 and with the same date engraved; two stand-patens and a flagon of 1669,
all given by Thomas Ball, rector, and with
achievements-of-arms. Recess: In chancel—in
N. wall, with moulded jambs, cinque-foiled head,
similar to sedilia and moulded label, early 14th-century, re-set. Scratchings: On responds of
tower-arches and on jambs of S. doorway—various
scratched names, initials and dates, 17th-century.
Seating: In nave—twelve benches with moulded
rails, bench-ends with moulded tops and panels
with cinque-foiled or trefoiled heads, with foliated
spandrels, eight bench-ends have linen-fold
ornament in addition (Plate 51), early 16th-century made up with modern work. Sedilia:
(Plate 141) In chancel—in range with piscina—
three bays with arches, respond, etc., similar to
piscina, bays divided by free shafts with moulded
capitals and bases, stepped seats, early 14th-century, partly restored. Sundials: On S. porch
—on either side of outer archway, round scratched
dials. Miscellanea: In N. aisle—re-set in S. wall,
five head-stops. Loose under tower—fragments
of moulded stones, tracery, shafting, etc., 12th- to 14th-century. In churchyard—N.W. of N.
aisle, various fragments of 14th-century window-tracery.
Elton Hall, Basement Plan
c(2). Homestead Moat, ¼ m. S.W. of Sheepwalk
Farm and nearly 1¾ m. E. of the church.
b(3). Elton Hall stands nearly ½ m. S. of the
church. The walls are of cornbrash-rubble with
ashlar dressings and the roofs are covered with
slates and lead. The existing house is of a modified
L-shaped plan with the main wings extending to
the N.E. and N.W. The earliest portions now
remaining are incorporated in the N.E. wing and
consist of a gatehouse and a vaulted undercroft
to the S.W. Both of these were built late in the
15th century probably by Sir Richard or Sir John
Sapcote, and formed part of a large courtyard-house of which the N.E. and N.W. sides have
been entirely destroyed. It is known that
the house then included a chapel (said to have
been built by Lady Elizabeth Dinham, wife of
Sir John Sapcote) which was certainly the
room above the undercroft, now the drawing-room; this would be connected with the private
apartments in the S.W. range. The great hall
would occupy the greater part of the N.W. range
with the 'screens' at the N.E. end and the offices
would adjoin in the N.E. range. The gatehouse
apparently stood free in a gap on the S.E. side of
the courtyard. The house was largely in ruins at
the period of the Restoration, and was to a great
extent re-built by Sir Thomas Proby, from 1662
onwards to his death in 1689; the whole of the
N.W. and N.E. sides of the courtyard appear to
have been destroyed; the S.W. range of the courtyard was re-built further out, and the chapel partly
reconstructed above the ground-floor and a large
bay added on the S.E. side incorporating a smaller
projecting bay of c. 1500. About the same time
a range was built extending S.W. from the chapel.
The rebuilding was still going on at the beginning
of the 18th century under John Proby, who is
recorded to have added rooms five or six years
before his death in 1710.
During the 18th century many alterations were
made and the house generally remodelled in the
'Gothic' manner. The pinnacles and the gable
on the 17th-century range of the S.E. front were
added, probably, about 1790; the round turrets
at the S.W. end of the same range are probably of similar date. Other alterations included a
large addition to the S.W. range of the courtyard
and the erection of a building between the gate-house and the chapel. The 17th-century S.W.
range of the courtyard was remodelled in the
'Gothic' style. In 1855–6 the whole of this range
with its 18th-century addition was altered to its
present state, the 'Gothic' features being replaced
by Classic window-openings and a main cornice;
at the same time a large modern cross-wing was
built at the N.W. end. Extensive alterations and
additions were made at the back of the chapel-range
in 1883 and other modern alterations include the
rebuilding of the block between the gatehouse and
chapel and the building of the block on the other
side of the gatehouse.
The 15th-century Gatehouse is a rectangular
building with a projecting bay containing the outer
archway on the S.E. side; it is of three storeys
divided by string-courses and with ashlar-faced
clasping-buttresses to the projecting bay (Plate 49).
The embattled parapet resting on heavy machicolations is continued entirely round the building and
retains its open 'drops'; the parapet forms turret-like projections above the buttresses. The outer
archway, in the projecting bay, has a restored four-centred head, and the jambs are grooved for a
portcullis. The return walls of the bay have each
a small archway probably of the 17th or 18th
century. The first floor has on the S.E. face a
window of two four-centred lights in a square head
with a moulded label; above it is a sunk and
moulded panel with an achievement of the arms of
Sapcote—three dovecotes, crest—a goat's head, and
motto in 'black-letter'; flanking the window are two
loops, now blocked. The return walls of this stage
have each a small window, one restored and one
now blocked. The front of the second floor has a
two-light window similar to that in the stage below.
The other elevations of the gatehouse are considerably obscured by modern buildings but retain some
original windows of similar character to those on
the S.E. front; in the back or N.W. face there is
in addition a window of two four-centred lights in a
four-centred head with a square moulded label.
At the western angle of the building is an octagonal
stair-turret, carried up above the roof; the lower
part of the newel-staircase has been replaced by a
modern staircase. Inside the building, the projecting bay forms a porch, on the ground-floor,
with a quadripartite vault of two bays with hollow-chamfered ribs springing from moulded corbels;
the inner archway has moulded jambs and four-centred arch. The main 'gate-hall' has two
bays of quadripartite vaulting similar to that in
the porch. The inner archway has a segmental-pointed rear-arch, but has been blocked and fitted
with a modern window. The room on the N.E.
has a four-centred barrel-vault divided into four
bays by hollow-chamfered ribs. The doorway to
the stair-turret, on the second floor, is original and
has moulded jambs and two-centred head.
The early 19th-century library between the
gatehouse and the chapel has a bay-window
brought from the Drydens' House, Chesterton.
The Chapel Range, S.W. of the gatehouse, is
also of late 15th-century date and of two
storeys, with a projecting bay on the S.E.
side and a low-pitched roof. The building is
faced with ashlar and has an embattled parapet
and diagonal buttresses at the angles of the
S.E. front; these buttresses are finished with
panelled and crocketed pinnacles. The projecting
bay is rectangular below and semi-octagonal above,
the transition being covered by flat tabling. The
windows of the lower storey or basement are modern
externally; those of the upper storey on the S.E.
front have moulded jambs and two-centred heads
and appear to be of the 17th century. In the N.E.
gable, above the adjoining roofs, is the moulded
label of the large E. window of the chapel; the
window is now blocked, but the internal reveals
are visible in the roof. Inside the building the
upper storey has no ancient features. The lower
floor or undercroft has a ribbed vault (Plate 13)
of four bays with chamfered ridge, diagonal
and intermediate ribs carried down the walls
as responds. The projecting bay is of late
15th-century date only so far as the western
part is concerned, the eastern part having been
added in the 17th century when the semi-octagonal
bay above was built; the original part has a four-centred barrel-vault with hollow-chamfered ribs.
The 17th-century extension to the S.W. of
the undercroft-range is of three storeys with an
embattled parapet; it terminates in two 18th-century circular turrets rising from the ground
to above the roof and lit by small round-headed
windows. The N.W. turret has a doorway with
chamfered jambs and four-centred head and contains a staircase of oak with an octagonal newel.
Between the turrets is a 17th-century window with
moulded jambs, mullions and square head. The
N.W. face of this wing has three loops lighting the
basement, and three two-light windows above, all
of the 18th century. The gabled cross-wing, in
the middle of this range, is of c. 1790.
The existing N.W. wing of the house consists of a
late 17th-century range on the N.E. and an 18th-century extension on the S.W. The main late
17th-century wing has an original basement with
plain groined vaulting of brick springing from
square piers, also of brick, with hollow-chamfered
imposts and chamfered plinths. The building is
seven bays long, divided by cross-walls into three
rooms. The N.E. face of the building above is
largely of late 17th-century ashlar, but all the
existing features are modern. The Hall, in this
range, is lined with late 16th- or early 17th-century
Dutch panelling imported.
The Stables, E. of the house, consist of two
adjoining quadrangles, the one to the N.E. modern
and the one to the S.W. of c. 1720; the range
between the two is probably of late 17th-century
date but has been much altered. In it are some
re-used 17th-century ceiling-beams.
a(4). The Old Rectory (Plate 47), 700
yards N.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys
with cellars and attics; the walls are of coursed
cornbrash-rubble with dressings of Barnack and
Ketton stone; the roofs are covered with stone
slates. The house, consisting of a central Hall-block with cross-wings at the E. and W. ends,
was built late in the 16th century. In the 17th
century the staircase-wing was added on the S.
side of the Hall-block and later in the same
century the E. cross-wing was re-built and a wing
added at the N.W. corner of the kitchen or W.
cross-wing. Minor alterations were carried out
c. 1700. About the middle of the 19th century a
block was added on the W. side of the kitchen-wing and the same wing extended northwards.
Elevations—The S. Front has gables at the ends
of the cross-wings and a gabled staircase-wing.
The windows in the E. cross-wing are modern
except for the 17th-century moulded label of the
upper window. The 17th-century staircase-wing
has a doorway with stop-chamfered jambs, moulded
imposts and restored four-centred arch; the
windows, of one, two, and three lights have
moulded stone jambs, mullions and cornices; there
are two single-light windows in the return-wall of
the staircase-wing. The wall of the Hall-block has
two partly restored windows, one above the other
and each of two transomed lights. The end of the
W. cross-wing has one window of four and one of
three lights, similar to those in the staircase-wing;
the return-wall has a blocked original doorway
with a four-centred head and above it a two-light
window. The modern wing incorporates some
re-used material. The E. Front of the E. cross-wing has two windows similar to those on the
S. front and a blocked doorway; there is a much
restored dormer-window to the attic. The N.
Front has windows similar to those on the S. front.
The E. face of the W. cross-wing has a 16th-century
archway said to have been brought from Warmington, Northants; it has moulded jambs and
four-centred arch in a square head with a moulded
Elton, Plan Showing the Position of Monuments
Interior—The Hall has a fireplace with a moulded
surround of c. 1700. The E. cross-wing has a
wooden screen of c. 1700 and of three bays; the
middle bay has an archway with a four-centred
head and the side bays have round-headed arches,
all with moulded archivolts and key-blocks and
springing from pilasters with moulded caps and
bases; above the screen is a moulded cornice.
The door has a moulded architrave and the fire-place a moulded surround; the room has a panelled
dado. The S. room in the W. cross-wing has some
early 17th-century panelling. In the kitchen are
two original chamfered ceiling-beams. The main
staircase has some turned balusters, moulded rail
and shaped string, all of c. 1700. The room above
the hall has some panelling of the same date, and
the house contains several panelled doors.
In the garden, S. of the house, is the stone shaft
of a 17th-century sundial; the dial itself is
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two
storeys. The walls are of rubble with freestone
dressings and the roofs are tiled or thatched
Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks
and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(5). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 60 yards
S. of (4).
a(6). Cottage, three tenements on the E. side
of the road opposite (5).
a(7). Cottage, 30 yards S. of (6).
a(8). Cottage (Plate 47), three tenements,
formerly Girls' School, 10 yards S. of (7). The
middle tenement has on the S. side a tablet with
an early 18th-century inscription recording the
gift of Jane Proby. The W. end has two five-light
windows with stone jambs and mullions and a
similar two-light window in the gable. There are
two other stone windows in the W. wall of the W.
a(9). Cottage, two tenements, 30 yards S.S.W. of
a(10). Crown Inn, at the N.E. corner of the
Green, 15 yards S. of (9), was built early in the
17th century but has a later 17th-century wing on
the W. side and a modern addition on the E. The
central chimney-stack has two brick shafts joined
at the top. Inside the building the original fire-places have cambered and chamfered lintels.
a(11). Cottage, 20 yards S.S.W. of (10).
a(12). Cottage, two tenements, on the S.W. side
of the Green, 150 yards W. of (11), was built
c. 1700. The roof is covered with slates.
a(13). Cottage, two tenements, S.E. of (12), was
built c. 1700.
High Street. N. side
a(14). House, two tenements, 60 yards E.S.E.
of (13), has a cross-wing at the W. end. There are
two original stone windows with moulded jambs,
mullions and cornices.
a(15). The Priory, 150 yards E.S.E. of (14), is
modern but incorporates some old material
including a 15th-century niche with crocketed and
finialed canopy, ribbed soffit and pinnacled standards at the sides.
a(16). Range of four tenements, 80 yards E.S.E.
of (15), has in the N. wall a blocked original door-way with a moulded cornice.
a(17). Highgate or Rectory Farm, house 15 yards
E. of (16), is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing
at the W. end; the roofs are covered with slates.
The house has a number of original windows of
stone with moulded jambs, mullions and cornices.
The chimney-stack of the cross-wing has two shafts
with a moulded capping.
a(18). Cottage, 30 yards S.E. of (17).
a(19). House, two tenements, 40 yards W.N.W.
of (18), is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at
the E. end; the roofs are covered with stone slates.
On the N. front the cross-wing has an original bay-window to the ground-floor and an original window
above it with a square moulded head; the main
block has an original window of three lights with
moulded jambs and mullions and a moulded cornice
continued along over an adjoining doorway; the
doorway has chamfered jambs and a four-centred
head; the gabled dormer has a stone window of
three lights with a moulded cornice. On the S.
front are two similar dormer-windows and at the
ends of the building are other original windows.
Inside the building two fireplaces have moulded
stone jambs, four-centred arches and moulded
cornices and a third fireplace has two small
niches in the recess. There are also some original
a(20). Cottage (Plate 47) and shop, 40 yards
W. of (19), has a stone in the W. gable inscribed
"T.K.1676," with a moulded cornice. The roof is
covered with slates.
a(21). Cottage (Plate 47), three tenements,
W. of (20), has some original windows with
cornices; some of these windows have been
a(22). Cottage (Plate 47), three tenements,
W. of (21), retains the original label of one door-way and a nail-studded door.
a(23). Cottage, 20 yards S. of (22).
a(24). House (Plate 47), W. of (22), was
built c. 1703, on an L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the E. and S. The N. front has
some original stone windows with moulded jambs,
mullions and cornices; the W. chimney-stack
bears the date 1703. Inside the building is an
original wooden partition and door, and in the
N.W. room are two moulded wooden corbels.
a(25). Cottage, two tenements, 80 yards W.N.W.
of (24), has several original stone windows with
moulded jambs, mullions and cornices; on the E.
side are two gabled dormers of stone, with similar
windows. Inside the building, the N. staircase
has original shaped balusters.
a(26). Cottage, three tenements, W. of (25), has
an original fireplace with a chamfered oak lintel.
Chapel Lane. E. side
a(27). House, two tenements, 40 yards W. of
(26), has an original open fireplace with a cambered
and chamfered lintel.
a(28). House, two tenements, S.S.W. of (27),
has a doorway in the S. tenement with a heavy
a(29). Cottage, two tenements, S.S.W. of (28),
has two original stone windows in the N. end; one
is now blocked. Inside the building, a fireplace in
the S. room has a cambered and chamfered lintel.
Oundle Road. W. side
a(30). Cottage, at the corner of High Street, 200
yards N.N.E. of the church, has an original stone
window re-set in a modern addition.
a(31). House, 120 yards S. of (30), was built
a(32). Farmhouse, 30 yards S. of (31), is of
T-shaped plan with the main or cross-wing at the
E. end. The E. front has some original windows
with moulded stone jambs and mullions; three
have moulded cornices. There are similar windows
at the back of the house.
a(33). Black Horse Inn, 120 yards S. of (32), has
been refronted in modern stone.
a(34). Cottage, 60 yards S. of (33).
a(35). Cottage, 35 yards S. of (34).
a(36). Cottage, W. of (35).
a(37). Cooper's Hospital, 25 yards E. of (35),
block of two almshouses, founded by the Rev.
John Cooper in 1663, has modern extensions at
the ends and in front. The roofs are covered
with stone slabs. The windows and doors have
been renewed. In the garden wall, adjoining the
road, is a stone doorway with stop-chamfered
jambs, square-moulded head and moulded cornice;
the wall above is finished with a weathered coping.
a(38). Cottage, S.W. of (37), has a small original
window in the N. end, with a triangular head.
a(39). Carr's Farm, house (Plate 47) and barn,
30 yards S. of (38). The House is of L-shaped plan
with the wings extending towards the N. and E. It
retains a number of original windows with moulded
jambs and mullions and some having moulded
cornices. On the E. side of the N. wing is an
original doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head. Inside the building,
there is an original fireplace, on the first floor,
with moulded jambs, four-centred arch and cornice.
In the Barn, N. of the House, is a re-set original
window, similar to those in the house.
b(40). Cottage, on the N. side of the Green,
500 yards S.S.W. of the church.
b(41). Cottage, on the E. side of the Green,
60 yards E.S.E. of (40).
b(42). Cottage, on the S. side of the Green,
50 yards S. of (41), has an original window at the
N. end, with moulded jambs, mullions and cornice.
Inside the building one room has a cambered and
chamfered beam over the fireplace.
a(43). House, W. of (42), has some original
windows with moulded jambs, mullions and
b(44). House, two tenements, 20 yards N.W. of
(43), has an original stone window in the E. gable,
with moulded jambs, mullion and cornice. There
is a small blocked window, also original, on the
S. side. Inside the building, one room has a
cambered and chamfered beam over the fireplace.
b(45). Cottage, 30 yards N.W. of (44), has a
cambered and chamfered beam over the fireplace
in the W. room.