29. FARCET (C.b.).
(O.S. 6 in. V N.E.)
Farcet is a village and parish, mostly fen-land,
2½ m. S. of Peterborough. The Church is the
(1). At Palmer's Barn in Farcet Fen, the Fletton
Crown Brickworks, the Broadway and south-west
of the cemetery, potsherds and coins of the Roman
period have been found scattered over the land.
A burial by inhumation covered by a stone slab and
containing a Roman pot at the head was found
south of King's Delph Grove in 1906. There was
perhaps here another fen-village of the Romano-British period. [Information from Mr. G. Wyman
(2). Parish Church of St. Mary stands at the
W. end of the village. The walls, where old, are
of rubble with Barnack-stone dressings; the roofs
are covered with stone slabs and lead. The
Nave was built probably in the 12th century but
the only detail of this date is the rear-arch of
the N. doorway, now re-set in the N. aisle. The
West Tower was added c. 1180–90. About the
middle of the 13th century the Chancel was
re-built and a S. chapel added; the South Aisle was
added c. 1270–80, and it was probably intended to
pull down the W. tower but this was not done.
At some uncertain date the eastern part of the S.
aisle was widened. The South Porch was added in
the 14th century. The church was restored in
1852 when the new North Aisle and arcade were
built; the tower was restored in 1894–97.
The church is of little architectural interest
except for the late 12th-century tower. Among the
fittings the pre-reformation paten is noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (22½ ft.
by 15 ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N.
wall is a 15th-century 'low-side' window of
two cinque-foiled and transomed lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label; in the wall
are two corbels set about half way up the wall,
one at the W. end and one near the E. end.
In the S. wall is a mid to late 13th-century arch,
two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the
responds are of similar section and have moulded
capitals, chamfered bases and square plinths; E.
of the arch is a corbel similar to those in the N. wall.
The late 13th-century chancel-arch is of distorted
two-centred form and of two chamfered orders;
the hollow-chamfered responds have attached semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases,
the latter much cut away and defaced.
The South Chapel (22¾ ft. by 11½ ft.) is modern
except for the W. wall which contains an early
14th-century arch, two-centred and of two chamfered orders, continued down the responds.
The Nave (37¾ ft. by 19½ ft.) has a modern N.
arcade. The late 13th-century S. arcade is of four
bays with round arches of two chamfered orders,
and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and
bases; the base of the E. column has been cut
away; the E. respond has a moulded corbel with a
free pendant termination, carved with foliage on
the tip; the W. respond has an attached half-column with a chamfered base. The E. column
has the seating for a former cross-arch over the
aisle and there is a modern cross-arch from the
third column; the W. bay of the arcade overlaps
the tower which was evidently intended to have
been removed, thereby lengthening the nave by
one bay. The clearstorey has three modern
windows on each side.
The North Aisle is modern but has three re-set
15th-century windows, two in the N. and one in
the W. wall; they are each of two trefoiled lights
in a four-centred head with a moulded label; the
N. doorway has a re-set semi-circular arch of the
The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide on E. and 8½ ft.
wide on W.) has in the S. wall two windows all
modern except the splays, segmental-pointed rear-arch and one label with mask-stops. The wider
eastern part of the aisle has apparently been
re-built with the old buttresses re-set; the narrower
western part is ancient as is the set-back where the
aisle widens; the late 13th-century S. doorway has
chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the
W. wall is a 13th-century single-light window
widened probably in the 17th century and now
The West Tower (9¼ ft. square) was built
c. 1180–90, and is of three stages (Plate 5)
with pilaster buttresses, a string-course at the base
of the bell-chamber and a corbel-table with plain
rounded corbels below the modern parapet; the
tower is finished with a low pyramidal roof. The
two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered orders
with a chamfered label; the chamfered responds
have each an attached semi-circular shaft with a
moulded capital, octagonal abacus and chamfered
base; the mouldings of capital and abacus are continued some 1½ ft. along the inner face of the tower.
The S. and W. walls have each a tall round-headed
light, rebated externally and deeply splayed; the
stair-turret is modern. The second stage has in the
E. wall a blocked opening with an oak lintel. In
the W. wall is a round-headed window similar to
those below. The bell-chamber has in each wall
a window of two pointed lights divided by an
octagonal shaft with simply moulded capital and
all enclosed in a round-headed outer order with
chamfered label and free jamb-shafts with moulded
capitals and bases and chamfered abaci continued
along the wall as a string-course.
The South Porch is of the 14th century and has
a two-centred outer archway of two chamfered
orders dying on to splayed responds.
The Roof of the nave is modern but rests on old
corbels carved with foliage, grotesque beast,
shields and grotesque face with the tongue out;
incorporated in the roof are three 15th-century
carved wooden figures of angels holding shields at
the feet of the intermediate principals, and six
carved heads of men and women probably from
the ends of the old hammer-beams. The S. aisle
has a plain pent-roof to the western part of
uncertain date. The porch has an old gabled
roof of collar-beam type.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by Norris of Stamford, 1673; 2nd by Newcombe, 16th-century.
Bell-frame, inscribed A.F., C.W. 1668. Chests: In
S. chapel—(1) hutch-type, iron-bound with three
staples and padlocks, two drop handles and
moulded lid, probably 16th-century; (2) hutchshaped with panelled front, one shaped bracket,
moulded top and inscription "T.B. 1706." Lockers:
In chancel—in N. wall, with arched head of re-used
moulding, probably 15th-century, modern door.
In S. aisle—in S. wall, with rebated jambs and trefoiled head, remains of iron fastening, late 13th-century. Monument and Floor-slabs. Monument:
In S. porch—over S. doorway, to Dorothea Wright,
1674, panelled stone tablet. Floor-slabs: In
chancel—(1) to Edward Bellamy, 1702, with
achievement-of-arms; (2) to another of the same
family with shield-of-arms, name and date covered.
Under tower—(3) to . . . . son of John Crane,
Jun., late 17th-century. Piscina: In chancel—
with trefoiled head and round projecting drain,
wooden shelf, 13th-century. Plate: includes cup
of 1692, cover-paten of the same date, and a
paten (Plate 137) of c. 1500 without marks but
with a double sunk sexfoil with foliated outer
spandrels and a circle in the middle inscribed
"IHC" in 'black-letter.' Pulpit: (Plate 153)
of oak, semi-octagonal with moulded cornice, rails
and base, top panels carved with conventional
figures and foliage, lower panels with linen-fold
except middle panel on W. which has conventional
beast-heads and foliage; inside at back, two linenfold and one carved panel with figures and above a
panel carved "A.D. 1612," probably the date when
the pulpit was made up of early to mid 16th-century
panels. Seating: In S. aisle—at W. end, five
benches and one front with plain fleur-de-lis shaped
popey-heads, early 16th-century; at back of rear
seat, some Elizabethan panelling. Sedile: (Plate
141) In chancel—modern seat with stone shaped
arms finishing at top with roundel, one modern
and one carved with a flower, 13th-century.
Condition—Chancel-arch badly cracked and
tower-walls need attention.
The following monuments unless otherwise
described are of the 17th century and of two
storeys; the walls are of rubble with ashlar
dressings and the roofs are tiled or thatched. Some
of the houses have original chamfered ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
(3). House and garden wall, 80 yards E. of the
church and on the S. side of the road. The House
has been much altered and re-built but formed part
of a larger building probably erected in the 16th
century. The N. front has three restored windows
of stone with square heads and moulded labels;
the partly restored doorway has double-chamfered
jambs, square head and moulded label.
The Garden Wall bounding the road, to the W.
of the house, is of mid or late 17th-century date and
of red brick in English bond. The W. side has
piers at intervals and plain large projecting panels;
at the angle is a blocked doorway flanked by long
(4). House, two tenements on the N. side of the
road 40 yards E. of (3), has at each end an original
window with moulded jambs, square head and
(5). House (Plate 47), two tenements, on
S. side of road 60 yards E. of (4), has an
original entrance-doorway (Plate 116) flanked
by pilasters and with a segmental pediment;
the lintel of the door-frame has carved ornament
and the date and initials "April /?/ 1684."
Inside the building is an early 18th-century fire-place with moulded architrave and shelf and two
old doors each of two raised panels.
(6). House, on N. side of lane 100 yards E. of
(5), has two original stone windows, one in front
and one behind, each square-headed and with a
(7). Anchor Inn, 200 yards E.S.E. of (5), is
modern except for part of a stone-built cross-wing
at the N. end.
(8). Base of Cross, on S. side of road junction
N.E. of the church. The square base is of Barnack
stone with stop-chamfered angles and a socket for
the base of the shaft, run with lead. It is probably
of 15th-century date.