32. FOLKSWORTH (B.b.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)V S.W., (b)IX N.W.)
Folksworth is a small parish and village 6 m.
S.W. of Peterborough. The church is the principal
a(1). Parish Church of St. Helen stands N.
of the village. The walls are of rubble, roughly
coursed: the dressings are of Barnack stone:
the roofs are covered with slates. The church,
consisting of chancel and Nave, was built about the
middle of the 12th century. The South Transept
was added c. 1300, and the South Porch in the first
half of the 16th century. The church was restored
in 1850 when the Chancel was re-built and the North
Vestry added; the bell-turret is also modern, and
the N. wall of the nave has been largely re-built.
The chancel-arch and N. doorway are fairly good
examples of 12th-century work.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel is
modern, except for the mid 12th-century chancel-arch (Plates 77 and 132), which is semi-circular and of two moulded orders with cheveron-ornament; the responds have each two detached
shafts with capitals carved with scrolls or scallops
with a human face and festoons with a face; the
hollow-chamfered abaci are continued along the
face of the walls.
The Nave (38¾ ft. by 18 ft.) has in the N. wall
two modern windows; the N. doorway (Plate
139) of c. 1150 has an arch of two orders, the
outer moulded and round and the inner flat
and forming a tympanum carved on the face
with a diaper-pattern; the jambs have each a
free shaft with moulded base, scalloped capital
and moulded abacus continued round the jamb
as an impost. In the S. wall is a two-centred arch
of c. 1300, of two continuous chamfered orders
with chamfered bases; the early 16th-century S.
doorway has chamfered jambs and four-centred
head with a moulded label; further W. is a 14th-century window with two trefoiled ogee lights in
a square head with a moulded label and head-stops.
The South Transept (17½ ft. by 12¾ ft.) has in the
E. wall a window of c. 1300 and of two trefoiled
lights with a plain spandrel in a two-centred head
with a moulded label and mask-stops; at the
internal sill-level is a moulded string-course continued round the transept. In the S. wall is a
window of c. 1300 and of three graduated trefoiled
lights in a two centred outer-order and all modern
externally. In the W. wall is a 16th-century
window of two three-centred lights in a square
The South Porch is of early 16th-century date
and has a four-centred outer archway of two
continuous chamfered orders with a moulded
Fittings—Bell: one by Norris, 1660. Coffin-lids: In N. transept—two small, slightly coped and
tapering slabs, with scrolled crosses, 13th-century.
Font: octagonal bowl with hollow-chamfered
under-edge, octagonal stem with broach-stops,
making the lower part square, chamfered plinth,
mortices on bowl for fixing cover, 15th- or 16th-century. Monuments: In churchyard—S.W. of
porch, (1) to William Cockerill, 1671–2, head-stone, slab and foot-stone; (2) to William Gidding,
1705, head-stone with hour-glass, etc. Piscina:
In S. transept—in S. wall, with chamfered jambs
and two-centred head, moulded sill and sex-foiled
drain, c. 1300. Plate: includes cup of 1569, with
three bands of incised ornament, cover-paten of
same date with the date engraved on the knob,
stand-paten of 1697 with gadrooned edge to
bowl and base, inscribed on under side
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). Homestead Moat, called Otter Pond,
650 yards S.W. of the church, is of roughly oval
form with slight indications of an outer enclosure
on the W. side.
b(3). The Elms, house, barn and moat, 700
yards S.S.W. of the church. The House is of two
storeys with attics; the walls are of brick: the
roofs are covered with slates. It was built early in
the 17th century. Late in the same century the
S. part of the main block was added or re-built.
There are modern additions on the N.W. and S.E.
The S. front has an original two-storeyed porch and
N. of it is an original window with stone jambs and
moulded brick label; it is now blocked. There are
two original buttresses at this end of the house and
a chimney-stack with two diagonal shafts. Inside
the house the main ceiling-beam is partly exposed.
The Barn, W. of the house, is of late 17th-century
date and of brick, with a thatched roof. The roof
is of three bays with chamfered tie-beams. The
Garden-wall, running E. from the N. end of the
house, is of early 17th-century date, partly of brick
and partly of rubble.
The Moat, formerly surrounded the house, but
is now largely obliterated.
Condition—Of house, good.
b(4). Dovecote, 120 yards E. of (3), is a large
square building of early 17th-century date. The
walls are of brick with a plinth, offset and string-course. The S. and W. walls have each a square-headed window of three lights with chamfered oak
frame and mullions. The pyramidal roof has lost
most of its slates.
b(5). Cottage, 60 yards N. of (4), is of one
storey, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are thatched. It was built in the 17th century
and has some exposed timber-framing inside.
b(6). Cottage, three tenements, on the W. side
of the road, 100 yards E. of (5), is of two storeys,
partly timber-framed and plastered and partly of
brick; the roofs are thatched. It was built late in
the 17th century.
b(7). Base of Cross, at back of inn, 480 yards
S. of the church. A stone base, octagonal above
and square below, with socket for octagonal shaft,
probably 14th-century, not in situ.