37. GRAFHAM (B.e.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXI N.W., (b)XXI S.W.)
Grafham is a small parish and village 5½ m.
W.S.W. of Huntingdon. The Church is the
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands in
the village. The walls are of pebble and stone-rubble with dressings of Weldon and Ketton stone;
the spire is of ashlar and the roofs are covered with
tiles and lead. The erratic planning indicates
the existence of an earlier building, but the earliest
existing work is the N. arcade of the Nave, built
c. 1250; the Chancel was re-built c. 1290–1300;
the floor-level of the nave was raised soon after
the building. Early in the 14th century the South
Chapel was added, and late in the same century
the North Aisle was re-built. The West Tower
and spire were added late in the 14th or early in the
15th century and later in the 15th century the two
stair-turrets, to the rood-loft and tower, were
built. Considerable repairs were done and the
South Porch re-built in 1902–3 on the site of an
earlier building and incorporating old material.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (26¼ ft.
by 12¾ ft.) has an E. window, all modern except
for the splays, rear-arch, jambs, head and moulded
label with head-stops, which are of late 13th-century date; the lower part of the original window
has been blocked by a modern filling. In the N.
wall are two windows, the eastern of late 13th-century origin, altered in the 16th or 17th century
and of two lights with crudely cusped heads in a
square main head with a moulded label and crude
head-stops; the western window has a late 13th-century W. splay, but it is otherwise of the 15th
century and of two cinque-foiled lights in a square
head; the mullion is modern; between the windows
is a late 13th-century doorway with chamfered
jambs, two-centred arch and moulded label.
In the S. wall are two late 13th-century windows,
the eastern of three plain pointed lights, with
intersecting tracery in a two-centred head with a
moulded label; the western window is of two
similar lights in a two-centred head; the lower
part of the W. light is rebated for a shutter and
formed a 'low-side.' The two-centred chancel-arch is covered with plaster and is probably
The Nave (45¼ ft. by 15½ ft.) has a mid 13th-century N. arcade of four bays with two-centred
arches of two chamfered orders; the cylindrical
piers and semi-circular responds have moulded
capitals, but the bases have been concealed by the
raising of the floor-level. In the S. wall is an early
14th-century arcade of two bays with two-centred
arches of two chamfered orders; the octagonal
column and semi-octagonal responds have moulded
capitals and bases; at the W. end of the wall is
an early 16th-century window of two cinque-foiled
lights in a square head with a moulded label with
grotesque beast-stops; the spandrels are carved
both inside and out with a double rose; the late
13th-century S. doorway has chamfered jambs,
two-centred arch and a moulded label with mask-stops; above the arcade are two 18th-century
The North Aisle (10¾ ft. wide) has in the E. wall
a late 14th-century window, partly restored and
of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head
with a moulded label. Across the S.E. angle of the
aisle is the lower doorway of the 15th-century
rood-loft staircase; it has moulded jambs and
four-centred head. In the N. wall are three late
14th-century windows, each of two cinque-foiled
lights in a square head with a moulded label and
head or returned stops; the label of the easternmost window is of earlier work re-set; the late
14th-century N. doorway has double chamfered
jambs, moulded two-centred arch and label with
head-stops. The upper part of the W. wall is
modern, but re-set at the lower end of the coping
is a carved half-figure holding a shield.
The South Chapel (23½ ft. by 9¼ ft.) has in the
E. wall a 14th-century window of three trefoiled
lights in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded
label and head-stops; the internal sill has a projecting pedestal for an image. In the S. wall are
two 14th-century windows, each of two trefoiled
ogee lights in a square head with a moulded label.
The West Tower (10 ft. square) is of late 14th- or
early 15th-century date and of two stages (Plate
4) with a moulded plinth and a late 15th-century stair-turret, added at the S.E. angle. The
two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered orders,
the outer carried down the responds and the inner
springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a four-centred head;
the jambs and label are moulded; the W. doorway
was probably re-built in the 17th century; it has
double chamfered jambs and four-centred head.
The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two
cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred
head with a moulded label continued as a string-course; the upper part of the bell-chamber forms
an octagonal drum on which stands the spire; the
squinches are covered by broaches from which rise
wedge-shaped buttresses terminating in pinnacles;
the heads of the windows are carried up into the
drum. The octagonal spire has two tiers, each of
four spire-lights, those of the lower tier are on the
cardinal faces and are each of two trefoiled lights
with a quatre-foiled spandrel in a gabled head; the
windows of the upper tier are on the alternate
faces and are each of one cinque-foiled light in a
The Roof of the chancel has two old tie-beams.
The roof of the nave is plastered, but two 15th-century tie-beams with curved braces are visible,
and there are a number of 15th-century stone corbels
carved with heads and grotesques. The early
16th-century roof of the N. aisle extends as far W.
as the N. doorway, and is of three bays and of pentform; the main timbers are moulded. The early
16th-century roof of the S. chapel is of pent-form
with moulded wall-plates and chamfered rafters.
Fittings—Bells: three; 1st by Watts, 16th-century; 2nd probably by W. Dawe and inscribed
"Sum Rosa Pulsata Mundi Katerina Vocata,"
c. 1400; 3rd by Newcombe inscribed "S. Katerina,"
16th-century. Communion Table: In tower—
with turned legs and moulded upper and lower rails,
late 17th-century. Font: octagonal tapering bowl,
each face with sunk cusped panelling of varying
design; one face with plain panel, round stem,
c. 1300. Monuments and Floor-slab. Monuments:
In S. porch—set in W. wall, (1) upper half of slab
carved in high relief with effigy (Plate 10) of a
priest in mass-vestments, head on two cushions,
early 14th-century. In churchyard—S. of chancel
(2) to E. . . . ., 16 . . ., foot-stone. Floor-slab:
In S. porch—on W. wall, to Elizabeth Fortrey,
widow, 1708–9. Piscinae: In chancel—double, with
two chamfered and pointed arches, attached shafts
to jambs and free shaft in middle, all with moulded
capitals and bases, two multifoiled drains, late
13th-century. In N. aisle—in S. wall, recess with
two-centred head and projecting semi-octagonal
sill with round drain, date uncertain. In S. chapel
—in S. wall, recess with chamfered jambs and
trefoiled head, round drain, early 14th-century.
Pulpit: of oak, hexagonal, with raised panel in
each side, with modern piercings, moulded cornice,
late 17th- or early 18th-century. Scratchings: On
stair-turret to tower, inscription "Anno 1590."
In S. porch—in W. wall, inscription "1689 R.A.,"
found in chancel; in S. gable, stone with initials
and date "Nov. 9 1657 R.S." Seating: In nave
—bench and part of front desk, bench with
shaped bench-ends and moulded rail, 16th-century, made up with modern work. Stoup:
In S. porch—in N.E. angle, portion of octagonal
shaft with moulded base, late 15th-century, bowl
destroyed. Sundial: On S. face of tower stair-turret—two scratched dials, one circular, the other
semi-circular. Miscellanea: Set in W. wall of
porch—various fragments including part of
octagonal shaft of a cross, with broach-stops to
a(2). At site of Manor House, 550 yards N.N.W.
of the church. About 100 yards to the S.E. is a
second moated enclosure.
a(3). About ½ m. E. of the church.
a(4). The Rectory, 30 yards N. of the church,
incorporates a portion, now the kitchen, of a
16th-century house. It is of two storeys; the walls
are of brick and the roofs are tiled. Inside the
kitchen is an original moulded ceiling-beam.
a(5). Cottage, 100 yards E. of the church, is of
one storey with attics, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are thatched. It was built about
the middle of the 17th century. A blocked doorway
on the N. side has an original moulded jamb. Inside
the building the chamfered ceiling-beams are
b(6). Grafham Farm, house at East Perry,
1½ m. S.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys,
timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled.
It was built early in the 17th century and has
modern additions on the E. The original central
chimney-stack has four grouped shafts, set diagonally on a square base, with a moulded capping.
Inside the building, the ground-floor rooms have
exposed ceiling-beams and a fireplace has a chamfered lintel.
b(7). Fox Inn, 280 yards W. of (7), is of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are thatched. It was built late in the 17th century
and has modern additions at the S. end. The
ceiling-beams are exposed in the ground-floor