41. HAMERTON (B.c.).
(O.S. 6 in. XIII S.W.)
Hamerton is a parish and village 8 m. N.W. of
Huntingdon. The Church and Manor Farm are
the principal monuments.
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands on the
S. side of the village. The walls are of Weldon and
pebble-rubble with dressings and the ashlar-facing
of the tower is of Ketton stone; the roofs are covered
with tiles, slates and lead. The Chancel, Nave,
North and South Aisles and South Porch were built
early in the 14th century, the N. arcade being
apparently the earliest work and dating from
c. 1300. Late in the 15th century the church was
considerably altered, the clearstorey was added,
the West Tower built and the aisles remodelled;
the rood-loft staircase was inserted at the same
time. Some repairs were made to the S. clear-storey in 1707 and the S. end of the porch perhaps
re-built. The church was restored in 1854 when the
chancel was largely refaced and again in 1896–7;
the North Vestry is modern.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (32¾ ft.
by 17½ ft.) has an E. window of c. 1330 almost
entirely modern externally and of three trefoiled
lights with tracery in a two-centred head with
moulded reveals and label with modern head-stops. In the N. wall are three windows, the two
easternmost are of early 14th-century date and of
two pointed lights with a plain spandrel in a two-centred head with a moulded label and mask-stops; the westernmost window is an early 14th-century 'low-side' of a single pointed light with
a moulded label; there is a modern doorway to
the vestry. The side walls have a moulded cornice,
below the eaves, with ball-flower ornament. In
the S. wall are two two-light windows similar to
those in the N. wall and partly restored; the recess
of the eastern window is carried down to form a
seat and has splays corbelled back; the W. side
of the western window is carried down below a
transom as a 'low-side'; between the windows
is an early 14th-century doorway with moulded
jambs, two-centred arch and label. The early
14th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of
two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and
the inner resting on moulded corbels, carved with
male and female heads (Plate 118) respectively,
both partly re-cut.
The Nave (51¼ ft. by 19 ft.) has N. and S.
arcades of early 14th-century date and of four bays
with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders
with a moulded label on the nave side turned up
at the apex and carried up to the string-course
below the clearstorey; the octagonal columns and
semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and
bases; the N.E. respond has been partly cut away
for the late 15th-century rood-loft staircase which
has an upper doorway, across the angle of the building, with a four-centred head. The late 15th-century
clearstorey has on each side four windows
each of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred
head, with casement - moulded reveals and a
moulded label; on the S. face is a lozenge-shaped
panel inscribed "I. B. 1707."
The North Aisle (10 ft. wide) has a late 15th-century E. window similar to those in the clear-storey; at the S. end of the E. wall is the lower
doorway of the rood-loft staircase; it has a four-centred head. In the N. wall are three windows
similar to that in the E. wall; the late 15th-century
N. doorway has jambs and four-centred head of
one chamfered and one hollow-chamfered order
with a moulded label and re-used head-stops. In
the W. wall is a window uniform with that in the
The South Aisle (9¾ ft. wide) has a late 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with
vertical tracery in a four-centred head with moulded
reveals and label. In the S. wall are three late
15th-century windows generally similar to that in
the E. wall but with different tracery; the partly
restored early 14th-century S. doorway has jambs
and two-centred arch of two hollow-chamfered
orders with a moulded label and mask-stops. In
the W. wall is a window similar to those in the
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is of late 15th-century date and of three stages (Plate 5),
with a moulded plinth and embattled parapet
with gargoyles at the angles and a band of
quatre-foiled panelling below the string. The
two-centred tower-arch is of three moulded orders,
the two outer continuous and the inner springing
from attached round shafts with moulded capitals
and partly restored bases. The W. window is of
three cinque-foiled lights with tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded label; the doorway,
below it, has moulded jambs and two-centred
arch in a square head with traceried spandrels
and a moulded label. The second stage has in
the W. wall a window of two cinque-foiled lights
with a quatrefoil in a four-centred head with
moulded reveals and label. The bell-chamber
has in each wall a pair of windows each similar
to that in the stage below but with a transom.
The South Porch is of early 14th-century date,
perhaps restored in the 18th century. The two-centred outer archway is of two chamfered orders,
the outer continuous and the inner springing from
attached shafts with restored moulded capitals;
the arch has a moulded label. The side walls have
each a re-set window of two pointed lights with a
circle in a two-centred head with a moulded label;
the label of the W. window has mask-stops.
The Roof of the nave is mainly modern but
incorporates some late 15th-century material
including eight carved figures of angels holding
recorders or trumpets, viol, cymbals and harp; on
the wall-posts are ten figures probably of apostles
of which St. John, St. Paul, and St. Andrew can
be identified; the wall-posts stand on stone corbels
carved with angels, including one playing a mandore
and one a gittern, and grotesques. The roofs of
the N. and S. aisles are also modern but incorporate
carved 15th-century figures of men (Plate 46) in
various attitudes; they include the four Evangelists represented with men's bodies and the
heads of the symbolic beasts, and others with
doubtful attributes; there are ten in each aisle.
The roof of the S. porch incorporates two moulded
and cambered tie-beams of late 15th-century date.
Fittings—Bells: four; 3rd by Thomas Norris,
1628; 4th by Henry Penn, 1706. Bracket: In N.
aisle—on E. wall, rectangular tapering bracket,
probably 15th-century. Communion Table: In
S. aisle—with turned legs, moulded rails with
shaped brackets, mid 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with cusped panels, four having blank
shields, moulded upper and lower edges, stem with
two ranges of panels with cusped heads, moulded
base, 15th-century. Monuments: In vestry—on
S. wall, (1) to Ferrar Colet, S.T.B. Rector, 1679,
white marble tablet with skull, cherub-head and
drapery. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (2) to Mawde
(Lane) wife of John Bedell, 1587, wall-monument
of Ketton stone with cornice and shield-of-arms in
strap-work frame; on frieze the date and initials
M.B. 1597; further W. (3) to Sir John Bedell,
1613, wall-monument of stone with strap-work
frame and enriched side - pilasters, cornice with
strap-work cresting and achievement-of-arms.
Paintings: In N. aisle—on N. wall, fragmentary
remains of figure-subjects including—(a) a woman
holding a book (?), (b) legs and feet of man in
water, probably St. Christopher, 15th- or early 16th-century; part of a 'black-letter' inscription in a
strap-work frame, probably early 17th-century. In
S. aisle—on S. wall, fragmentary remains of red
colouring. Piscinae: In chancel—with hollow-chamfered jambs and quatre-foiled drain, 14th-century, head modern. In S. aisle—in S. wall,
with chamfered jambs and trefoiled head, quatre-foiled drain, 14th-century. Plate: includes cup
(Plate 136) of 1674 with inscription and cover-paten probably of the same date. Scratchings: On
tower-arch—various masons' marks. Seating: In
nave and W. tower—seven benches made up with
15th-century material with moulded rails. Stoup:
In S. porch—in N. wall, recess with round head,
early 16th-century, bowl modern. Sundial: On
S.W. buttress of tower—scratched dial, 17th-century. Miscellanea: In chancel, loose portion
of 15th-century wooden screen with traceried
head of one bay. In vestry—fragment of 14th-century stone traceried panelling. In churchyard,
base of late 13th-century column with modern
cross set in it and N. of chancel an octagonal
stone with a square socket, probably for a
Condition—Fairly good, but N. and S. aisles
have cracks and the roof of the S. aisle is leaking.
(2). Homestead Moat, 150 yards S. of the
church, is fragmentary, with traces of a smaller
enclosure on the E. The mound, N. of the site, is
said to be a fairly modern refuse-heap.
(3). Bridge (Plate 131), over the Alconbury
Brook, 150 yards N.W. of the church, is of three
spans with ashlar piers and abutments and cut-waters on both sides. The stonework incorporates
some re-used material including parts of a 14th-century string-course, and is perhaps of the 17th
century or earlier. The actual bridge is of modern
(4). Manor Farm (Plate 74), house 400
yards W. of the church, is of two storeys with
attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are
tiled. It was built late in the 16th century on an
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the N. and E. In the second half of the 17th
century an addition was made on the E. side of
the N. wing.
The original chimney-stacks are interesting.
The W. front has a moulded string-course between
the storeys and at the S. end is a gable with a
weathered coping of brick. The string-course is
continued round the S. front. The central chimney-stack of the E. wing has four circular shafts with
geometrical diaper-ornament and octagonal bases;
they stand on a rectangular stack with a moulded
capping and a tiled frieze with arabesque-ornament.
The other chimney-stacks are treated in a similar
manner. Inside the building are some original
chamfered ceiling-beams and some 17th-century
panelling. In the E. wing is the upper part of the
original staircase with an octagonal newel. The
17th-century staircase has turned balusters.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described are of the 17th century and of two
storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs
are thatched. Some of the buildings have original
chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good.
(5). Cottage, two tenements, on the W. side of
the road, 250 yards N.W. of the church.
(6). Cottage, two tenements, 40 yards N.N.E.
(7). Cottage, two tenements, on the N. side of
the road, 50 yards N.E. of (6).
(8). Range of five tenements, 20 yards E. of (7).
(9). Cottage, 40 yards N.E. of (8).
(10). Range of three tenements, 70 yards E. of (9).
(11). Rookery Farm, house and barn, 70 yards
E. of (10). The House is of early 17th-century
date with a late 17th-century wing at the W. end.
The late 17th-century main chimney-stack has a
round-headed recess on two faces. Inside the
building is an original battened door.
The Barn, N. of the house, is of brick with a
(12). Fireplace in modern parish-hall, N.E. of
(7). The fireplace and overmantel are of early
17th-century woodwork, from Long Stow Manor
House, made up with modern work.