3 ALLENSMORE (C.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXIX, N.W., (b)XXXIX, S.W.)
Allensmore is a parish 4 m. S.W. of Hereford. The
church, Allensmore Court and Cobhall Farm are the
a(1). Parish Church of St. Andrew, stands on the
E. side of the parish. The walls are of rubble with
ashlar-dressings all of local red sandstone; the roofs
are covered with slates. The earliest detail in the church
is the late 12th-century S. doorway of the Nave, with
the adjoining part of the wall. The church, including
the Chancel and nave, was largely re-built in the 14th
century. The West Tower was added late in the 15th
or early in the 16th century. The church was restored
in 1880 when a former gallery was removed; the North
Vestry and South Porch are modern.
Amongst the fittings the painted glass and the
inlaid floor-slab are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (30¾ ft. by
21ft.) is of c. 1320, and has an E. window of four
trefoiled ogee lights with net-tracery in a two-centred
head with a moulded label; the gable-cross is perhaps
original. In the N. wall is a window of two cinque-foiled lights with a cusped spandrel in a two-centred
head with a moulded label; further E. is a modern
doorway. In the S. wall are two windows similar
to that in the N. wall. The re-tooled chancel-arch is
two-centred and of two continuous chamfered orders.
Allensmore, the Parish Church of
The Nave (53½ ft. by 23 ft.) has in the N. wall three
windows, the easternmost similar in date and detail
to the side windows in the chancel; the middle window
is of the 15th century and of two cinque-foiled lights
with partly restored vertical tracery in a restored segmental head; the westernmost window is modern;
further W. is the blocked 14th-century N. doorway with
moulded jambs and two-centred arch. In the S. wall
are two windows, the eastern similar to the correspond
ing window in the N. wall; the western is a large
early 14th-century window of three trefoiled ogee lights
with tracery consisting mainly of a large sub-cusped
trefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label;
the head of the window is carried up into a small gable
rising above the eaves; the western part of the wall
is of late 12th-century date and contains the S. doorway;
it has a round head of two moulded orders, the inner
continuous and the outer formerly springing from
detached shafts of which only the decayed base of the
E. shaft remains; the order is now supported on
much later corbels.
The West Tower (15½ ft. square) is of late 15th or
early 16th-century date, and of two stages with an
embattled parapet and four shaped gargoyles below the
parapet-string. In the E. wall of the ground-stage is a
doorway with moulded jambs and two-centred arch
in a square head; above it, on the E. face is a recess
with a chamfered segmental head, perhaps the rear-arch of a former W. window. The W. window is of
two cinque-foiled lights in a flat segmental-pointed head
with solid filling. High up in the N. and S. walls of
this stage are small loop-lights. The bell-chamber
has in each wall a window of two lights with plain
The Roof of the chancel is probably of the 14th century
and is of trussed-rafter type with moulded wall-plates.
The roof of the nave is of similar date and character
Fittings—Chairs: In chancel—two, one with turned
front legs, enriched rails, shaped arms, back with
arcaded and enriched panel and scrolled cresting, early
17th-century; second chair with turned and twisted
legs, carved and turned stretchers, carved and shaped
arms, back with turned and twisted side posts, carved
rails and styles and an open carved panel in the middle,
late 17th-century. Chest: In vestry—with panelled
front and back, fluted top rails, plain lid, late 17th-century. Churchyard-cross: S. of nave—on three
steps, portion of octagonal shaft, surmounted by 12th-century capital, probably from S. doorway. Coffin-lid:
In nave—with incised foliated cross, early 14th-century.
Glass: In E. window—in tracery, jumble of fragments
of grisaille, borders, fleur-de-lis, etc., but with two
figures (damaged) one holding scroll inscribed, "Ave
gratia plena," also a crucifix; late 13th or early 14th-century; at top Jacobean cartouche with shield-of-arms (? later). Monuments and Floor-slab: Monuments:
In chancel—on E. wall, (1) to Richard Grumor (?),
1702 (?) freestone tablet with foliage, cherub-head and
cartouche-of-arms; on S. wall, (2) tablet with oval
panel and bay-leaf border, surrounded by scrolls, two
cherubs at top and cartouche-of-arms, inscription defaced, late 17th-century. In nave—on N. wall, (3) to
William Buean, jun., 1695–6, shaped tablet. In churchyard—S. of nave, (4) to Thomas Baugnal, 1706, headstone with cherub-head and foliage; (5) to John Webb,
1712, headstone; (6) to Charles Penock, 1714, headstone
with cherub-head; (7) to John Thomas, 1714, and
Mary his wife, 1714, double headstone with enriched
borders; (8) to Mat (?) Garet (?) 1705. Floor-slab:
In chancel—to Sir Andrew Herl, and Joan his wife,
stone slab (Plate 41) inlaid with marble figures of man
in armour, basinet, camail, jupon, etc., feet on lion,
woman in long gown and feet on dog, canopy over
each figure with cinque-foiled head, central and side
shafts, inscription at bottom in French, ten shields-of-arms (a) Herl; (b) a fesse between three sheldrakes
with a crescent on the fesse for difference for Herl;
(a) Pauncefote; (d) b impaling c; (e) as b but with
a molet for difference; (f) as c; (g) a bend with a label
gules for difference; (h) as b but without crescent;
(i) a raven; (j) Verdon of Ewyas (?), late 14th-century.
Piscina: In chancel—recess with chamfered jambs and
cinque-foiled head, octofoiled drain, rebate for shelf,
14th century. Plate: includes beaker-shaped cup with
two bands of strap-ornament, moulded base with cableornament, 17th century, given in 1821, also a pewter
plate. Pulpit: of oak (Plate 58), octagonal with
bands of carved strap-work to base and enriched
cornice above, sides each with enriched arcaded panel,
coupled Doric columns at angles on pedestals and
supporting an entablature with a deep enriched frieze
and cornice, early 17th-century, some modern repair.
Miscellanea: In tower—two fragments of painted
terminals, probably from a 17th-century monument.
a(2). Meer Court, farmhouse and moat, 1¾ m. W.
of the church. The house is of two storeys, partly
timber-framed with brick nogging and partly of brick;
the roofs are tiled. It is of 17th-century date and L-shaped on plan with the wings extending towards
the S.E. and S.W. Low modern additions have been
built on the S.W. end of the S.W. wing and on the N.E.
side of the S.E. wing; the building has been altered
both internally and externally. Inside the building
some of the rooms have chamfered beams and exposed
joists in the ceilings.
The moat lies to the S.W. of the house and is fragmentary; the S.W. arm and a few feet of the return
S.E. side are wet.
Condition—Of house, good.
b(3). Allensmore Court, house, 560 yards S. of the
church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls are of
brick; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The
house was built c. 1714, on a rectangular plan, fronting
the S.E. and with two one-storey angle-wings projecting towards the N.W. from either end of the N.W. front.
Early in the 19th century a large block was added
on the front of the house and a large billiard-room
has been built on to the N.W. side of the S.W.
projecting wing. Later one-storey additions have also
been made on the N.W. side of the N.W. projecting
wing and on the N.E. side of the main building.
The elevations of the original building appear to have
been symmetrically designed. The walls have a stone
base, and there were stone quoins at the angles of the
front of the house; the roof of both the main block
and the low projecting wings are hipped and have
wooden modillioned cornices at the eaves. The
windows have segmental heads and hung sashes, and
there are flat-topped dormer windows in the roof. The
original front elevation is entirely covered by the later
front addition. The two side elevations of the original
main block have two rectangular projecting chimneystacks each panelled on all sides above the eaves-level;
the tops have been re-built; on the face of one of the
stacks is a stone panel inscribed "I.P. 1714." The
back elevation, which now fronts the kitchen courtyard, has, between the small projecting blocks, a small
raised terrace, originally surmounted by a wrought-iron railing with ornamental standards, but only part of
the railing now remains. The windows on this front
have been re-arranged, and both it and the N.E. side are
now partly covered by the later additions; two old
lead rain-water pipes with shaped heads remain.
Inside the building, one of the rooms on the ground-floor is lined with early 18th-century panelling, in two
heights with bolection-moulded panels, moulded
skirting, dado-rail and cornice. The panelled doors
have bolection-moulded architraves and the fireplace
has a bolection-moulded surround, pulvinated frieze
and moulded shelf. The original plaster ceiling has in
the middle a circular wreath of flowers, fruit and
foliage modelled in high relief, and the four L-shaped
moulded panels which surround it enclose branches of
oak and laurel leaves. The room in the S.W. angleblock is lined with early 17th-century panelling which
suggests that the building may stand on the site of an
earlier house; a two-panelled 18th-century door covers
one of the windows. The kitchen has two moulded
beams in the ceiling. On the first floor two of the
bedrooms have early 18th-century fireplaces with
moulded surrounds, friezes and cornice-shelves. In
the attic are several original two-panelled doors, and one
of the windows retains an old lead casement.
a(4). Cobhall Farm, house and barn, on N.E.
corner of cross-roads, nearly 1 m. W. of the church.
The House is of two storeys with attics and cellars to the
S. wing; it is partly of timber-framing with brick
nogging and partly refronted with brick; the roofs
are covered with modern slates and tiles. Subsequent
alterations have somewhat obscured the plan and
character of the original building, which appears to
have been of late 15th or early 16th-century date and is
incorporated in the northern end of the existing house.
This earlier part of the building is T-shaped on plan with
the cross-wing at the N. end. The cross-wing was
extended eastward early in the 17th century, at which
date a large block was added to the S. end of the
house. The S. and W. walls of the S. block were
fronted with brick at a later date and outbuildings
have been added on the E. side of the N. wing.
Modern alterations include the addition of a room on
the N. side of the S. wing and E. of the original house
and alterations to the W. end and N. side of the N. wing
and to the roof. The S. wing is gabled at either end;
the N. wing is gabled on the E. and the roof is hipped
at the W. end. On the W. front to the ground floor
of the middle block is a slightly projecting window
inserted early in the 17th century; it is of four mullioned
and transomed lights with moulded mullions and transoms and modern pedimental head; the lights are
filled with leaded glazing and retain one old metal
casement. Immediately above is a modern window
with an old projecting sill supported on a shaped
bracket. Farther N. is an early 17th-century doorway
with a moulded frame with carved stops. Covering
the doorway is an early 17th-century porch incorporating earlier material. The angle-posts at the entrance
are moulded and have on the front faces small attached
semi-circular shafts and on the return outer faces small
semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals; the head
of the entrance is four-centred with a lintel above, over
which are flat-shaped balusters under a weather-boarded
gable; the lower parts of the sides are closed, the upper
parts are open and with flat-shaped balusters in two
ranges. The central chimney-stack rises above the
roof on a stone base with the upper part of brick;
the top has been re-built. Inside the building, on the
ground-floor, the W. room in the S. wing has the
ceiling divided into nine panels by moulded cross and
longitudinal beams. The room, except for a small
length of the N. wall, is lined with early 17th-century
panelling, and has a carved frieze of conventional
dolphins and ornamental roundels; below the beams
are pilasters, the upper parts of which are fluted. The
overmantel to the fireplace is divided by carved Jacobean caryatides into three bays with round arched
panels having ornamental arches and pilasters and
foliated spandrels; above the arches is a carved frieze
of conventional enrichment below an upper frieze of
dolphins divided into two panels by carved brackets.
The entrance-hall in the E. side of the S. wing has the
ceiling divided into six panels by moulded beams.
Other rooms have chamfered beams in the ceilings,
and the middle room in the N. wing has a stop-chamfered beam and exposed joists laid flat. The
side walls of this room have the timber construction
exposed, and in the E. wall are three doorways with
flat four-centred heads; only the middle doorway
is now open and the framing to the S. doorway is
considerably damaged. The joists are also exposed
in the room adjoining on the E. On the first floor the
westernmost bedroom in the S. wing has the ceiling
divided into three parts by chamfered beams on which
have been run plaster cornices; each panel has a
lozenge-shaped central panel enriched with cherub-heads, and in the cornices of the main panels are fleurs-de-lis. The roof over the S. wing is divided into five
bays by collar-beam trusses with struts from the tie-beams to the principal rafters, and king-posts above
the collars in the alternate trusses.
The Barn stands to the S.E. of the house and is of
early 17th-century date. It is in five bays and has a
stone base, above which the end walls are of brick and
timber-framing, and the side walls of timber-framing
covered with weather-boarding or filled between the
framing with interlacing slats; the roof is covered with
modern roofing material; the roof-trusses are of the
queen-post type alternating with those having braced
tie-beams and rafters; all the trusses have braces
from the wall-posts to the tie-beams.
Condition—Of house, good.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century, and of two storeys,
timber-framed with brick nogging; the roofs are
covered with modern slate or tiles. Many of the
buildings have old stone chimney-stacks with brick
shafts and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
a(5). Church House, 30 yards S. of the church, has
been enlarged by extending it towards the S. A low
modern addition has been built on the W. side. The
E. and W. walls have been largely refronted in brick,
and the later S. wall is of stone.
a(6). Wood Street Farm, house, 200 yards N.E. of
the church, is an 18th-century brick house which has
been added on the front of part of a 17th-century building. The earlier part consists of two gabled wings
extending towards the N.E. and connected by a smaller
but taller gabled block; the northernmost block is
largely of stone. Inside the building the kitchen has
an old stone fireplace with chamfered jambs and has
been partly filled in.
a(7). Cottage, on S.W. side of the road, 180 yards W.
of the church, has lean-to modern additions at the back
and on the N. end.
b(8). Cottage, standing back from W. side of the road,
1400 yards W. of the church, has a later addition on the
N.W. side. The S.W. wall is entirely of stone.
b(9). Cottage, on N. side of cross-roads, 540 yards
S.W. of (8), is of two storeys with a cellar. The roof
b(10). Cottage, on E. side of road, 800 yards S.W. of
(9), is of late 17th or early 18th-century date.
b(11). Cottage, at N.E. corner of roads, immediately
S. of (10), is of late 17th or early 18th-century date.
b(12). Winnal Court, house, 980 yards S.E. of (11), is
built on an irregular T-shaped plan with the cross-wing
at the S.W. end. This wing is of early 17th-century
date and is of two storeys with a cellar and attics. The
S.W. wall has been refronted with stone. The N.E.
wing is of stone and was added or re-built later in the
17th or early in the 18th century. At the N.E. end of
the N.E. wing is a stone stable, and a two-storey granary
was added in the 18th century on the S.E. end of the
S.W. block. Inside the building the principal room
on the ground-floor of the S.W. block has the ceiling
divided into six panels by moulded cross and longitudinal beams. The N.E. and N.W. walls are lined
with early 17th-century panelling; in the former wall
are two original doors, each hung on two old hinges,
but now blocked, and in the latter wall is an original
doorway with stop-chamfered jambs and head. The
smaller room in the S.W. block also has a moulded
ceiling-beam and early 17th-century panelling lining
two of the walls; an original door in this room is
hung on two strap-hinges. The staircase in the S.W.
block has a central octagonal newel and an original
doorway on the first floor with chamfered jambs and
b(13). Whitehouse Farm, cottage, 100 yards S. of
(12), has been largely altered, added to and partly
refronted in brick in modern times.
a(14). Little Cobhall, cottage, 100 yards N.N.W. of
(4), is probably part of a central-hall type of house of
15th-century date. It is now T-shaped on plan with
the cross-wing at the S.E. end, the N.W. wing representing the former hall which was originally open to
the roof. Late in the 16th or early in the 17th century,
an upper floor was inserted and a stone chimney-stack
was built at the N.W. end of the hall. The former
wing at the N.W. end of the hall has been demolished,
the house has been largely refronted in brick, and
modern work includes a lean-to addition on the S.E.
side of the building and a porch on the S.W. side of the
hall. Both ends of the remaining cross-wing are
gabled as is the N.W. end of the N.W. wing, the eaves
of which are at a much lower level than those of the
S.E. wing. Inside the building, on the ground-floor,
later partitions have been inserted in the original hallblock; in the ceiling is a stop-chamfered beam and
exposed stop-chamfered joists. Springing from the
N.E. wall is a heavy shaped bracket below the central
roof-truss over the hall, which, from the remains of
the timber-construction seen in the end gable, appears
to have been of a single hammer-beam type. In
the roof-space above are the principal rafters of this
truss with the mortices for other members of the truss
which have now gone; the truss supports side purlins
which are strengthened with curved wind-braces. In
the ceiling of one of the ground-floor rooms in the
S.E. wing the heavy exposed joists are laid flat. The
other room has a chamfered ceiling-beam.
a(15). Mawfield Farm, house, barn and stables, 500
yards N. of (14). The House is built on a half H-shaped
plan with the wings extending towards the E. It may
date from late in the 15th century, but was considerably
altered early in the 17th century, when the whole of the
central block appears to have been re-built. The walls
have been partly refronted with later brick, and a later
addition has been built on the E. end of the N. wing.
The W. or front elevation is carried up in four gables;
the lower parts of the two end wings have been refronted
in later brick. The main chimney-stack which rises
from the middle of the building on the N. side of the S.
wing is of early 17th-century date; it is of brick and
rectangular on plan with V-shaped ribs projecting on
each side. The back of the central block has been
entirely refaced with later brick as has the whole of the
S. side of the building above the stone base. The
projecting wings are gabled on the E. front. Against
the S. wing is a stone projection covering the kitchen
oven; it has a stone-slate pent roof. Inside the building the ground-floor room in the middle hall-block has
been divided into compartments by inserted partitions;
in the ceiling are moulded beams of early 17th-century
date. The stair-case to the N.W. of this room is of the
same date; it has an original newel with a shaped top
and a moulded hand-rail. Other rooms in the end wing
have exposed beams and joists in the ceilings; the
exposed joists in the middle room of the S. wing are of
heavy section and are laid close together. On the
first floor, in the ceilings of the bedrooms in the central
block are early 17th-century moulded beams and one
bedroom in the S. wing has a similarly moulded beam.
One bedroom in the S. wing has an early 17th-century
fireplace with square jambs and a chamfered lintel.
The roof over the N. cross-wing is in four bays with two
trusses with shaped braces below the collar; below the
purlins were shaped wind-braces, but some of these are
The Barn stands to the S.E. of the house and has a
stone base with a timber-framed superstructure with
brick nogging and interlacing slats in the panels; the
roof is of stone-slates. It is L-shaped on plan with the
main arm in four bays.
The Stables stand to the E. of the house and are of
two storeys. The walls have a stone base and are
timber-framed with brick nogging to the lower storey
and weather-boarding to the upper storey; the roofs
are covered with stone-slates.
a(16). Cottage, on W. side of road, 750 yards W.N.W.
of (15), has a stone-slate roof. The back is weather-boarded.