6 BIRCH, LITTLE (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XLV, N.E.)
Little Birch is a small parish, about 5 m. S. of Hereford.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands near the
middle of the parish. It was entirely re-built in 1869,
but retains, from the old church, the following:—
Fittings—Font: round bowl with cable-ornament
round base, 12th-century, repaired, stem and base
modern. Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup with band
of engraved ornament round bowl; cover-paten of
pre-reformation origin with traces of engraved vernicle
or a heart on a cross; on the handle is inscribed
"Letul Burche, 1576," the date when it was re-made.
(2). New Mills Farm, house 1 m. S.E. of the
church, is partly of two storeys with attics and partly
of one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed
and the roofs are covered with slates. It was built
in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings
extended towards the E. and S. The S. and W. walls
of the S. wing have been re-built in stone. Inside the
building, the chamfered ceiling-beams are exposed.
(3). Upper House, 200 yards S.S.E. of the church, is
of two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed and plastered. It was built probably late in the
15th century, but is now roofless and ruinous. Inside
the building are some chamfered ceiling-beams.
(4). Barn, at Church Farm, 60 yards S. of the church,
is a largely modern building of rubble; the E. wing
dates from late in the 17th century.
(5). Barn, 140 yards N.W. of the church, is timber-framed with a modern iron roof. It was built in the
17th century, and has a porch on the N. side.