7 BIRCH, MUCH (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XLV, N.E.)
Much Birch is a parish 5½ m. S. of Hereford.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary and St. Thomas
of Canterbury, stands near the middle of the parish.
It was entirely re-built in 1837, but retains, from the
old church, the following:—
Fittings—Chest: In vestry—front and one end with
conventional enrichment, plain top with two strap-hinges, mid 17th-century. Churchyard Cross: S. of
nave—octagonal to square base with small pointed
niche in W. face, three steps and lower part only of
octagonal shaft, probably 14th-century. Monuments:
In churchyard—S. of nave, (1) to . . ., 1713 (?),
headstone with carved ornament; (2) to Elizabeth
(Rogers) widow of Thomas Toy, 1696, headstone.
Table: In nave—with turned legs and fluted rails, mid
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century, and of two storeys or
one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed,
and the roofs are covered with stone slates or modern
slates. Some of the buildings have original chimneystacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
(2). The Cedars, house 100 yards N.W. of the church,
was built probably in the 16th century, but has modern
additions on all four sides.
(3). Cider House, at Ash Farm, nearly ¼ m. N.W. of
the church, is of late 16th or early 17th-century date,
but has been encased in stone late in the 18th or early
in the 19th century. Parts of the original timber-framed walls are visible internally.
(4). Axe and Cleaver Inn, on the S.W. side of the road,
¾ m. S.E. of the church, has some exposed timber-framing.
(5) Cottage, N. of Bigglestone Farm and nearly 1 m.
E.S.E. of the church, has been partly re-built in stone.
Some original timber-framing is exposed.
(6). Cottage, 270 yards S.W. of (5), is built of stone
and may have been reconstructed in the 18th century.
(7). Barn, at Treberva, 1000 yards S. of the church,
is weather-boarded and has a projecting porch on the
E. side. The roof is of five bays.
(8) Strickstenning Hall, house and barn, ¾ m. E.
of the church. The House has been entirely altered
internally and refaced externally. The Barn and stable,
E. of the house, is partly of stone; the part forming
the stable is of c. 1700.
(9) Minster Farm, house 160 yards N. of the
church, has rubble walls. On the S. side is an
original window of three lights.