9 BOLSTONE (E.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XL, S.W.).
Bolstone is a small parish 5 m. S.S.E. of Hereford.
The church is the principal monument.
(1). Parish Church (dedication unknown), stands
at the E. end of the parish. The walls are of local
sandstone with dressings of the same material; the
roof is covered with slates. The church, consisting of
Chancel and Nave, was built in the 12th century, but in
1877, it was very largely re-built, except for parts of the
E. and W. walls, and the South Porch added.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel and Nave
(41 ft. by 19¾ ft.) are structurally undivided. In the
E. wall are three round-headed windows, the middle
one being set high in the wall; all have been completely restored. In the N. wall are three modern
windows, incorporating some old stones; the re-set
N. doorway is of late 12th-century date, and has
chamfered jambs, round arch, grooved and chamfered
imposts and a chamfered label with dragon-headstops,
and a grotesque head at the apex; the doorway is
blocked and much of the work has been restored. In
the S. wall are four windows, one modern and the others
partly restored; the easternmost is of the 14th century,
and of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatre-foiled
spandrel in an ogee head; the second window is of late
13th-century date, and of one trefoiled light; the third
window is modern; the westernmost window is a
small 13th-century lancet-light; the S. doorway is
modern. The W. wall sets back externally at the eaves-level, except in the middle, where it is carried up to
support the modern bell-cote; in it is a window of one
trefoiled light, partly of 13th or 14th-century material.
Fittings—Cross: In churchyard—square stone base
of churchyard cross with splayed angles; lower part
of shaft roughly cut, cruciform on plan and inscribed
T.W., J.M., C.W. 1701. Font: (Plate 39) octagonal
bowl with moulded under-edge, each face with two
trefoiled arches, three of which enclose a rose, thistle
and fleur-de-lis respectively, octagonal stem with
moulded capping and base, and each face with a
plain pointed panel, probably early 17th-century.
Plate: includes a cup of 1635 and a paten of the
same maker; there is also a silver penny of Edward I,
found when the church was restored.
Condition—Good, mostly re-built.
(2). Homestead Moat, in Trilloes Court Wood, 700
yards S.W. of the church.