13 CALLOW (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXIX, S.E.)
Callow is a small parish 3½ m. S. of Hereford.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands near the
W. border of the parish. It was re-built in 1830, but
retains from the former building the following:—
Fittings—Bells: two, uninscribed. Font: circular
bowl with convex sides, cylindrical stem and moulded
base, early 13th-century. Monument: In W. tower—
on N. wall, to Henry Pearle, 1670, "deceased at the
English factory of Bantam," freestone and slate tablet
with cartouche on apron and scrolls and shield-of-arms
on head. Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup with two
bands of incised ornament round bowl, but without
date-letter or makers' marks, and a pewter cup and
cover-paten of mid to late 17th-century design. Seating: In W. tower—small bench with four turned legs,
grooved top-rail and moulded edge to seat, early 18th-century.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys.
The walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with
stone slates or modern slates. Most of the buildings
have old chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good, or fairly good, unless noted.
(2) House, now two tenements, immediately W. of the
church, is roofed with pantiles. It is built on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S.
and W. The S. wing is probably an 18th-century
addition, and there is a later addition at the end of the
(3). Callow Farm, house, 40 yards S.E. of the church,
is partly of three storeys with attics and cellar. Some
of the walls are of rubble and some of brick. The
three-storeyed wing projecting westward at the S. end
of the house is of late 16th or early 17th-century date,
but the building has been added to and much altered
in the 18th and 19th centuries. In the W. wing is an
original stone window of three mullioned lights.
(4). Blakeways, house and barn, 280 yards E. of the
church. The House is of two storeys with cellars. It
is a small rectangular building with a later projection
on the W. side enclosing the stairs to the cellar. Inside
the building the fireplaces in both the ground-floor
rooms have chamfered oak lintels. The Barn: N.E. of
the house, is in five bays with the middle bay projecting
as a porch. In the side walls are two ranges of loop
lights, and in one end wall are three ranges of similar
lights. The roof-trusses have tie-beams and collars
and struts between the former and the principal rafters.
Condition—Of house, derelict, recently burnt; of
(5). Oak Cottage, cottage and barn, 730 yards S.S.E.
of the church. The Cottage was built probably early
in the 18th century. The Barn, N. of the cottage, is
in five bays with a central doorway on each side and two
rows of loop lights in the walls.
(6). Cottage and Barn, about 100 yards E. of the Hereford-Ross road, 1040 yards S.S.E. of the church. The
Cottage is timber-framed with brick and plaster panels
and has a stone base. The Barn, S.W. of the house,
has two wings, one at either end, projecting towards
(7). Twyford Farm, house and barn, ¾ m. E. of the
church. The House is of two storeys with cellars;
the roofs are tiled. It is probably timber-framed, but
the walls now have a modern brick base above which
they are covered with rough-cast. An 18th-century
granary has been built at the W. end of the house, at
the E. end is the barn, and a modern addition projects
southwards from the E. end of the back of the building.
The house is probably of early 17th-century date,
though the large chimney-stack in the middle of the
building suggests that it may have been inserted in an
earlier structure. The Barn has the lower part of the
walls of stone and the upper part timber-framed and
weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled. The roof is of
five bays with king-post trusses.
(8). Brook Farm (Plate 21), at Twyford, on W. side
of the road, about ½ m. N.N.E. of (7), is timber-framed
with brick panels on a stone base, and the roof is
covered with pantiles. Later outbuildings have been
added at either end.