Dulas

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1931

Supporting documents

Pages

58-59

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Dulas', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 1: South West (1931), pp. 58-59. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=124328 Date accessed: 21 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

23 DULAS (B.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)XLIV, N.W., (b)XLIV, S.W.)

Dulas is a small parish, on the W. side of the Golden Valley, 11 m. S.W. of Hereford.

Ecclesiastical

b(1). Parish Church of St. Michael, stands near the middle of the parish. The old church stood in the bottom of the valley, just to the E. of Dulas Court. Of this building nothing now remains except a reconstructed arch forming an entrance to a garden 150 yards N. of Dulas Court. This arch is of early 12th-century date; it is of one moulded order and of semi-circular form and springs from attached shafts with weathered bases and capitals carved with crude scrolls and large scallops; the N. capital has a carved face in addition; the arch is of about a 5 ft. span. The modern church, built in 1865, stands about 160 yards to the S. of the old site and contains the following:—

Fittings—Bell: inaccessible, but of early form with straight sides, hemispherical top and no inscription, 13th-century. Chairs: In chancel—(1) with carved arcaded back and cresting, turned front legs, arcaded front rail and curved arms; (2) with back carved with foliated design, turned front legs and curved arms; (3) with carved arcaded back (Plate 27), date and initial 1640 E.C., curved arms and boxed-in seat; (4) carved arcaded back with flower-ornament and carved cresting, turned front legs and curved arms (5) with foliated ornament on back and fluted top rail to back, turned front legs and curved arms. In vestry —(6) with foliage-ornament on back, carved top rail and scrolled cresting, turned front legs and curved arms. In nave—(7) carved back with lozenge panel, guilloche-ornament at top, carved front rail, turned front legs and curved arms; (8) carved back with lozenge panel, fluted top, turned front legs and curved arms; (9) generally similar to (8), but with differing designs; (10) back carved with scrolled conventional foliage (Plate 27), similar foliage on top back rail and front rail of seat, turned front legs and curved arms; (11) mostly modern, but incorporating some old work; (12) with richly carved arcaded back, carved top rail and posts of back, scrolled cresting, turned front legs and curved arms; (13) back carved with incised foliage, fluted top rail and scrolled cresting, turned front legs and curved arms; (14) back with lozenge-panel, carved top rail to back, scrolled cresting, turned front legs and curved arms; much restored. All the above are of the 17th century, more or less restored. Chest: In vestry—of oak boards with strap-hinges and four short turned legs, 17th-century. Cupboard: In vestry —small, with double doors, each of two raised and moulded panels, early 18th-century. Desk: In chancel —large desk, made up of carved woodwork, including five enriched arches, four posts carved with terminal figures and one rich panel carved with putti and two cartouches with figure-subjects—the Annunciation and the Nativity, foreign, rest probably English and all 17th-century. Lectern: with elaborate turned, fluted and enriched baluster-stem of oak and rich gadrooned front to desk, 17th-century, rest modern. Monument: In nave—on sill of S.E. window, carved and painted marble cartouche-of-arms, part of the former monument, 18th-century. Panelling: In nave —at E. end, in modern framing, three carved panels, (a) the Nativity, (b) the Last Supper, (c) the Crucifixion, 17th-century, foreign. Pulpit: modern but incorporating a number of Jacobean panels with carved geometrical and foliated enrichment and a long panel with the carved figure of a bishop, probably modern.

Near the site of the old church is part of the stem and base of a churchyard cross, with pyramidal stops at the angles.

Secular

a(2). Lower Cefn, house, nearly ¾ m. N.W. of the church, is of one storey with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with stone slates. It was built early in the 17th century and has 18th-century and modern extensions and additions. Inside the building, the main room has original moulded ceiling-beams.

Condition—Fairly good.

a(3). Little Cwm-Dulas, house, ¼ m. W. of (2), is of one storey with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are covered with stone slates. It was built in the 17th century, and has modern additions at the N. and S. ends. Inside the building are some exposed and chamfered ceiling-beams.

Condition—Poor.

b(4). Old Wigau Farm, house, ¼ m. S. of the church, is of one storey with attics; the walls are of rubble, and the roofs are covered with stone slates. It was built in the 17th century, and has exposed ceiling-beams and joists.

Condition—Bad, partly derelict.



<--Previous:
Dorstone
Next:-->
Eaton Bishop