35 HOLME LACY (E.b.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XL, N.W., (b)XL, S.W.)
Holme Lacy is a parish on the right bank of the
River Wye, 5 m. S.E. of Hereford. The principal
monuments are the church and Holme Lacy House.
b(1). Parish Church of St. Cuthbert stands on
the low-lying ground within a loop of the River Wye
on the E. side of the parish. The walls are of rubble
with the exception of those to the W. tower which
are of sandstone ashlar; the rubble to the walls at the
W. end of the S. aisle is in regularly coursed squared
blocks, and the E. and N. walls of the main building
together with those of the S. porch retain externally
portions of a thin coating of plaster; the roofs are
tiled. The South Chapel and the E. end of the South
Aisle are the earliest parts of the existing building and
date from the second half of the 13th century. A great
rebuilding took place about the middle of the first half
of the 14th century, and to this period belong the
Chancel, the Nave with its arcade, and the South Aisle,
but the lower part of the N. wall of the nave is probably of earlier date having been retained when the
nave was re-built. The West Tower was added late
in the 14th century, and the North Transept and South
Porch are additions of probably late 16th or early
17th-century date. During extensive modern alterations, which were completed in 1924, the roof was
repaired, the nave arcade was underpinned and pulled
over to a vertical position, and a pier was inserted in
the former easternmost bay of the nave arcade dividing
the bay into two.
Holme Lacy, the Parish Church of St Cuthbert
The building is not without architectural interest,
and among the fittings the 16th-century altar tomb,
the two 17th-century marble monuments, the Renaissance font and the 15th-century stalls are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21½ ft. by
19 ft.) has a slightly restored late 14th-century E.
window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical
tracery in a two-centred head. In the N. wall are two
14th-century windows each of two trefoiled ogee
lights; the eastern one is blocked internally and covered
by a 17th-century monument, and the western one has
a chamfered segmental-pointed rear-arch. In the S.
wall is an arcade of c. 1280 opening into the S. chapel
(Plate 7); it is of two bays with two-centred arches
of two chamfered orders and a central quatre-foiled pier
with moulded capitals and much mutilated moulded
base; the E. respond has a triple shafted corbel with a
moulded capital and tapering ends, and the W. respond
is square, being the E. face of the first pier of the
nave-arcade which is a continuation of the chancel-arcade; at the springing is an impost-moulding. There
is no structural division between the chancel and the
The South Chapel (22 ft. by 16½ ft.) has an E. window
of the same date as the chancel-arcade and is of two
trefoiled lights with a trefoil in a two-centred head,
in plate-tracery. In the S. wall are two windows;
the easternmost is of two plain pointed lights with an
open spandrel in a two-centred head, of late 13th-century date but restored; the western window is an
original 13th-century lancet with an external rebate.
There is no structural division between the S. chapel
and S. aisle.
The Nave (68¼ ft. by 18½ ft.) has at the E. end of the
N. wall a semi-elliptical arch of two chamfered orders;
the outer order is continuous and the inner order is
carried on semi-octagonal moulded corbels; it is
probably of 16th-century date; further W. are three
windows; the two easternmost are of 14th-century
date and are each of two trefoiled ogee lights and similar
to those in the N. wall of the chancel; the westernmost window is of the same design but modern; in
the roof above it is a modern dormer-window; below
the middle window are the jambs (lower part only)
of an earlier N. doorway. The S. arcade of the nave
is of six bays with arches of two chamfered orders, the
inner two-centred and dying on to the piers or responds,
and the outer segmental pointed and continuous; the
piers are all square on plan with stop-chamfered angles;
the first or easternmost pier is modern and the former
single arch has been transformed into two; at the W.
end of the arcade the westernmost arch dies on to the
end wall of the building.
The North Transept (18 ft. by 16 ft.) has a modern
window in the N. wall and a modern doorway in the
The South Aisle (17 ft. wide) has in the S. wall three
windows. The easternmost is of c. 1340 and of two
trefoiled ogee lights with traceried spandrels in a square
head; the second is a small lancet similar to that in
the S. chapel; the westernmost is of early to mid
14th-century date and of two trefoiled ogee lights;
the S. doorway is of c. 1340 and with jambs of two
moulded orders and a two-centred head. In the W.
wall is a window of c. 1340 of two trefoiled ogee lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded
label; the mullion is modern.
The West Tower (13 ft. by 12½ ft.) is of late 14th-century date and externally is in two stages with a
moulded plinth and western diagonal buttresses, each
in three stages stopping at the level of the belfry; the
parapet is plain and has on the moulded string-course
below it two plain spouts on each wall. The ground
stage has in the E. wall a large doorway with jambs
and two-centred arch of three chamfered orders. In
the W. wall is a narrow inserted doorway with chamfered jambs and four-centred head, which is cut out
of a single stone forming the sill of a small window
above; this is of the same width as the doorway and
has chamfered jambs and a four-centred head; the
upper storey of the ground stage has in the W. wall a
square-headed window. In each wall of the bell-chamber is an original window of two trefoiled lights.
The South Porch is probably of early 17th-century
date. The S. wall is gabled and has a moulded coping
with shaped kneelers at the base and a ball-finial on a
square base surmounting the apex. The outer archway is similar to the S. doorway.
The Roofs of the chancel and nave are continuous
as are also those over the S. chapel and S. aisle; they
are of barrel form and plastered.
Fittings—Bells: eight, 4th to 8th by Abraham
Rudhall, 1709, the gift of James, Viscount Scudamore.
Brass-Indent: under easternmost arch of chancel-arcade, mostly covered by later altar tomb, with
marginal border and quatrefoils at angles. Churchyard Cross: with square base with splayed top and
lower part of octagonal shaft on two modern steps,
mediæval. Coffin Lids: in chancel—re-used as sill
of N. window, three fragments with parts of carved
cross-heads, late 13th or early 14th-century. In S.
chapel—in floor, with ornamental head to cross, within
circle carved with conventional design and fleur-de-lis, ornamental circular design on shaft flanked by
a chalice and a book, 14th-century, re-used as floor-slab and with superimposed 17th-century inscription
(see Floor Slabs (2)). In nave—re-used in sill of middle
window in N. wall, part of slab similar to those in N.
window of chancel; re-used in sill of westernmost
window, part of slab with cusped head of cross. Communion Table: with four massive turned legs in form
of Tuscan columns and simple moulded top and bottom
rails, early 17th-century, worm-eaten in parts. Door:
to S. porch, constructed of two thicknesses of oak
planks, nail-studded and clinched together, with two-centred head and wicket door with three-centred head
in middle; hung on two large strap-hinges with the
upper one curved over and following outline of head
of wicket, probably 17th-century. Font: (Plate 39)
with circular bowl carved with acanthus leaves and
four cherub-heads with outspread wings, circular shaft
carved with drapery and four rosettes, and moulded base,
second half 17th-century. Funeral Helm: in chancel,
supported on old iron bracket on S. wall, surmounted
by a crest of a fleur-de-lis coming out of a leopard's
head, possibly 16th-century. Glass: in chancel—in N.
window, various fragments including in E. light, roundel
with bearded head wearing liripipe hood, two female
heads, portion of a larger head, sheep feeding, pieces
with the word "anima"; in W. light, a head of Christ
with crown and cruciform nimbus, part of upper part
of body robed and with dislocated hand raised in
benediction, also orb and cross, pieces of tabernacle
work, etc.; both lights have numerous crowned initials,
letters I. and P., 15th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs: Monuments: in chancel—under easternmost
arch of arcade—(1) of John Scudamor  and Sibell
[Vaughan of Hargest] his wife, altar-tomb (Plate 45)
of c. 1550, with recumbent effigies in alabaster
(Plate 52); man in early to mid 16th-century armour
with head resting on helm with mantling and crest
of a bear's paw, feet resting on lion, sword at left side
and two gauntlets on right of right leg, hands in prayer
and two chains round neck; woman in costume of
period, wearing pedimental head-dress with head resting on cushion, dressed in long gown and hands in
prayer and clasping gloves; the noses of both figures
and also the fingers restored. Substructure with
moulded base and capping and panelled sides with
top members of capping inscribed in black letter; E.
end of monument with enriched pilasters at either
end enclosing panel with two painted shields-of-arms;
W. end similar but panel carved with shield-of-arms
supported by two angels in alabaster with helm and
crest and mantling above; N. and S. sides each with
enriched pilasters at ends and divided into three bays
by ornamental balusters flanking shields-of-arms;
against N. wall, at E. end, (2) of James, son of first
Viscount Scudamore, 1668, large monument (Plate 161)
of white and grey veined marble erected by his
widow, with male effigy in Roman costume reclining
on long pedestal with gadrooned top and front
carved with inscribed cartouche and cherub-heads;
figure and pedestal set in recess with carved curtains
and two cherubs holding a wreath and set on panelled
base supporting enriched flanking pilasters surmounted
by entablature with coved cornice, two flanking urns
and cartouche of arms; at sides of pilasters large
enriched scrolls; (3) adjoining (2) on W. side, to
Jane, wife of James Scudamore, and eldest daughter
of Richard Bennet, 1699–1700, elaborate mural monument (Plate 162) of marble with upper part designed
in form of architectural composition with seated
cherubs at sides and surmounted by three flaming
urns, the whole set on a gadrooned cornice above
a draped inscription-panel with cherub-heads and
cartouche of arms. In churchyard—on S. side of
chancel, (4) to William Shaphard, 1695, headstone
with simple scroll-top and leaf border; (5) to Anne
Stephens, 1707, headstone carved with scrolls, hourglass and leaves; (6) to John Shepherd, 1690, Anne
his wife, 1709, and Thomas Shepherd, 1674, headstone with simple scroll-top with drapery at sides;
(7) to John, 1660–61, Anne, 1679, and Humphrey,
1670, children of John and Anne Pitt, triple headstone
with plain scrolls at head of each panel; (8) to
Margery, wife of John Adams, senior, 1699, headstone
with scroll-top; (9) to John Spencer, 1711, headstone
with simple scroll-top and carved border; against
churchyard wall; (10) to Ann, wife of Thomas Phillips,
1709, headstone with scroll-top and carved border;
(11) to William (?) son of Rd. [Simons], 1708, and
Richard Simons, senior, 1708, twin headstones with
scroll-top and drapery at sides; on N. side of churchyard, by vestry door, (12) to Edward Simons, senior,
1711, headstone with carved border; (13) to Rebekah,
wife of John Davis, 1711, headstone with scroll-top,
cherub-head and carved border; (14) to Mary, wife
of John Adams (?) Junior, 1699, headstone with carved
and shaped top; (15) to Margery, wife of William
Simones, 1668, headstone with simple scroll-top.
Floor-slabs: in chancel (1) to John Scudamore, 1713.
In S. chapel, (2) cut on mediæval coffin-slab (see
Coffin Lids) to Thomas Manfey, vicar, 1643; (3) to
Thomas Martin, vicar, 1711, (4) to Henry Smith,
vicar, 1669–70, Elenor his daughter, 1698. In nave,
(5) to Thomas Rogers, 1673–4, and Mary his daughter,
1707–8, (6) to Anne Chinn, Junior, 1712, with ornamental corners and head; (7) to Thomas Mathews,
1704, with plain incised line border and scrolls at top;
(8) to Elizabeth (Sampson), wife of John Hereford,
1712, with incised lines as border and scrolls at top;
(9) to Mary daughter of William Smith, 1704, and
William Smith, 1737, with incised scrolls at top and
small rosette at S. corner; fourth corner broken off
and fragment of slab inserted recording burials of two
persons of 1709 and 1711–12 respectively. In N. aisle,
loose fragment of headstone, now on sill of N.W.
nave-window, with date 1678. Panelling: in chancel
—against E. wall, moulded and with panels in three
heights, early 17th-century with later capping. Piscinæ:
in chancel—with square jambs, shouldered head and
projecting rectangular drain, 13th-century. In S.
chapel—with trefoiled head and octofoiled drain, with
slightly projecting chamfered shelf, 13th-century.
Plate: includes an Elizabethan cup and cover-paten,
both without date-letters, but knob on stem of cup
inscribed with date 1576. Seating: in S. chapel—
under S.E. window, stone seat. In nave—26 framed
benches with open backs, moulded top trails, square
and shaped arms at ends and short Tuscan columns
as legs; many repaired and some altered with backs
made to slope; panelling in front of easternmost
benches similar to that in chancel but with carved
arabesque work in top panels, cut and rearranged,
17th-century. Stalls: in chancel—two on N. side and
three on S. side (Plate 64), with shaped dividing pieces,
moulded in front and with much worn carved angels
holding shields as elbow rests; misericordes with
moulded seats terminating in carved leaves flanking
carved undersides as follows—on N. side, (a) a grotesque
head; (b) a dog; on S. side, (c) man in short tunic
and high top boots (partly damaged), (d) a defaced
horned demon, (e) a bird, 15th-century, considerably
repaired with introduction of much new material.
Condition—Good generally, but with cracks in N.
wall of chancel and S. of W. tower between main wall
Holme Lacy, Plan of Ground Floor
b(2). Holme Lacy House (Plate 163), orangery and
outbuildings stand in the N.E. corner of a large park in
the middle of the parish with formal gardens to the S.
and W. of the house which are noteworthy for the fine
old yew hedges which border the walks. The house
is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls
are of sandstone ashlar with Bathstone dressings; the
roofs are covered with slates. The house is a large
mansion of late 17th-century date, but probably
incorporates portions of an earlier house which
formerly stood on the site. Though it is said that
the rebuilding was conceived by the first Viscount
Scudamore, there is little evidence that much was done
in his time; his grandson John, the second Viscount,
1650–97, appears to have been responsible for the work.
He married Frances, only daughter of John Cecil,
fourth Earl of Exeter, c. 1672, and as the arms of Cecil
and Scudamore are carved on the external stonework
and are incorporated in the internal plaster decoration,
the new building may be approximately assigned to
the last quarter of the 17th century, but its general
appearance is of much later character. It consists of
a main central block with cross-wings at the N. and
S. ends with the northern wing extending further
westward than the southernmost wing; the ends of
both the cross-wings project outwards on their respective fronts and there are slightly projecting central
features on the fronts of both cross-wings and on the
E. front of the central block. It is said that "the
approach to the house was from the S.W. through a
lofty arch which led into a quadrangle occupied by the
Steward's house, stables and kennels" but that when
the property devolved to Sir Ewin Scudamore Stanhope
in 1820 "the mansion was greatly altered; stone
balustrades concealed the original character of the roof
and a classical portico on the north side . . . was
added." The main entrance to the house is now
through this portico and the buildings round the
former "quadrangle" have been mostly re-built.
Early in the present century the interior of the house
was largely stripped of the fine late 17th-century woodcarvings which formerly decorated the walls of the
principal rooms. The building was, however,
thoroughly restored when it came into the possession
of the late Sir Robert Lucas-Tooth. He repaired the
whole of the roof, added a large ball-room on the W.
side of the central block, inserted a new main staircase, built a new service wing behind the ball-room
and staircase and remodelled the interior of the W.
end of the N. cross-wing.
The house is an interesting example of a large
mansion of the period, and though the interior has
suffered by the removal of the old carved woodwork
and staircase it retains its late 17th-century plaster
ceilings which are noteworthy.
The N., S. and E. Elevations are symmetrically designed
and have a slightly projecting plinth below the sills of
the ground-floor windows, and at the eaves, a continuous
entablature; the cornice is surmounted by a balustrade.
The windows, except where otherwise described, are
square-headed with moulded sills supported on small
shaped brackets and are surrounded by moulded architraves; the windows to the ground-floor are surmounted by plain friezes and moulded cornices, and the
middle window to the projecting end blocks on each
floor have pediments; all the architraves to the first-floor windows are eared at the head. The roofs are
hipped. The N. Elevation or entrance-front has the
small central projecting block covered by the porch
which was added in 1820, and is approached by a short
flight of steps; above the main cornice to the central
projection in place of the balustrade is an attic with
an achievement-of-arms of Scudamore-Stanhope with
supporters of the same date as the porch. In place
of the middle windows to the ground-floor of the E.
projecting wing is a doorway with a pedimental head;
it is approached by a small flight of steps. The
E. Elevation has in the middle of the central block a
slightly projecting feature, surmounted by a pediment,
with, in the tympanum, a cartouche of the arms of
Scudamore impaling Cecil surmounted by a coronet.
The three ground-floor windows in this projecting
feature are round-headed with the architraves to the
middle window carried down to the ground-level,
the window giving access to the garden. The
S. Elevation is practically uniform in design with the E.
elevation; in the tympanum of the pediment to the
central feature is a cartouche of the Scudamore arms
surmounted by a coronet and the central ground-floor
window, which has the architraves carried down to
the ground-level, has a curved pediment supported on
console-brackets. The W. front is mainly covered by
later work. The chimney-stacks on the principal
fronts have been wholly restored in modern stone.
Some of the windows, especially in the return sides of
the projecting end blocks, and the three upper windows
in the central feature on the E. front, are blocked,
having been built only to preserve the symmetry of
the elevations. The chimney-stacks, seen only from
the roof of the building, on the W. wall of the original
central block, are of narrow bricks.
The Interior of the house was restored early in the
present century; the new work has been carried out
in character with the style of the older work and in
many cases it is now difficult to distinguish between
them. Many of the panelled doors, moulded architraves, etc., are contemporary with the building, but
others are modern and have had figures and cornices
added to the architraves during the modern alterations.
On the ground-floor the Library has an original moulded
cornice with an acanthus-leaf enriched cove; the fire-place has a bolection-moulded surround. The Billiard
Room has been altered and has the walls lined for about
two-thirds their height with 17th-century panelling.
In the central block the Saloon is higher than the adjoining rooms, and occupies the two storeys of the building. It has a moulded skirting, dado-rail and cornice
ornamented with acanthus-leaf and egg-and-dart enrichment; the walls are panelled with applied mouldings surrounding the panels. The elaborate plaster
ceiling (Plate 164) surmounts a high plaster cove
enriched with cartouches-of-arms of Scudamore and
Cecil and Scudamore crests, all of which are surrounded
by branches of oak and laurel-leaves; above the cove are
free-hanging festoons of leaves, fruit and flowers; within
the rectangle enclosed by these festoons are three main
panels, a large one in the middle and smaller ones at
either end, all with segmental ends and enriched with
bands of laurel and acanthus-leaves, etc., within the
middle part is a large rosette, and in the end panels
cartouches with coronets and branches; the smaller
spandrel-panels have laurel-leaf borders enclosing
naturalistic branches of leaves. The N. Ante-room
is lined throughout with late 17th-century oak panelling
with moulded dado-rail and cornice carved with
acanthus-leaves. The black marble fireplace is surmounted by modern wood carving. The elaborate
plaster ceiling (Plate 31) has the main mouldings
enriched with laurel-leaves and the square enclosing the
central panels has free-hanging swags of fruit, flowers
and leaves; semi-circular panels in the middle of each of
the sides of the borders have shields of the arms of
Scudamore, each surmounted by a coronet and flanked
by palm-leaves; in the angle-panels are vases of flowers
and naturalistic oak and laurel-leaves; a central rosette
in the middle of the ceiling has a surround of laurel-leaves as have also the surrounding angle-panels. The
S. Ante-room has a moulded skirting, dado-rail and coved
cornice enriched with acanthus-leaves; the walls are
panelled with applied mouldings. The enriched plaster
ceiling (Plate 31) has a central octagonal panel with
enriched mouldings and swags of fruit, flowers and
leaves; in the centre of the ceiling is an acanthus-leaf
rosette and the angle-panels formed by the octagon
have laurel and acanthus-leaf enrichment to the mouldings and contain elaborate cartouches incorporating
grotesque masks in the design. The Sitting Room at
the E. end of the S. wing is panelled in two heights
and has a moulded skirting, dado-rail and cornice with
acanthus-leaf enrichment. The ceiling (Plate 31) has a
plaster cove, with swags in the corner and the middle of
each side, and central oval panel of leaves and flowers on
the sides of which are segmental panels each enclosing
a shell and scrolls and angle-panels enclosing branches
of oak-leaves. The School Room has a panelled dado
to the S. and E. walls, and the N.W. walls are lined
with panelling in two heights. The fireplace has a
bolection-moulded surround and above is an oval
plaster panel. The ceiling (Plate 31) has a central
rectangular panel with enriched mouldings, and the
border has angle-panels enriched with foliated scrolls
and wreaths of flowers, and foliage in the middle of each
side. The Drawing Room was, until the beginning of
the present century, two rooms, the dividing wall having
been removed and pillars inserted shortly before the
larger alterations and additions were made. At either
end of the room is a fireplace of marble, with bolection-moulded surrounds. Both ends of the room have
decorated plaster ceilings. The ceiling at the E. end
has a central oval panel with enriched mouldings and a
garland of swags of leaves and flowers, and in the
spandrels are vases of naturalistic leaves and flowers.
The ceiling at the W. end of the room rises off a plaster
cove decorated with shells and branches of oak in the
angles and palm-branches issuing through coronets in
the middle of each side; the ceiling has a border of
foliated scrolls and a central oval panel of leaves and
The Business Room has an enriched plaster ceiling
with shaped angle-panels to the border, each containing a cartouche with palm and oak branches and a
coronet and in the middle of each side a circular laurel-wreath. The late 17th-century staircase at the E. end
of the S. wing rises from the ground-floor to the attics;
it has turned balusters, moulded strings and handrail, and square newels with ball-finials; at the head
of the staircase, opening into the attics, are two late
17th-century two-panelled doors.
On the 1st floor one bedroom in the S. wing has an
enriched plaster ceiling with a central quatre-foiled panel
and an enriched border with circular panels with scrolls
in the spandrels of the quatrefoil; the cornice has
The Attics have, in the roof over the S. wing, against
the chimney-stack, a 17th-century chimney-piece which
is now blocked. It is of plaster with a moulded surround, a frieze of conventional laurel-leaves with
acanthus-leaf brackets at either end and a moulded
cornice; the overmantel has a console-bracket at
either end, supporting a narrow moulded cornice and
between the brackets, in low relief, is a hunting-scene
with a small man with hunting-horn, three hounds, a
stag, a small building with a tower, trees, clouds, birds,
etc.; the upper part of the overmantel, above the
cornice, has been broken off.
The Orangery stands to the W. of the S. end of the
house. It is of brick with a stone base, quoins and
dressings; it has a hipped roof covered with slates.
The front is in five bays with large round-headed
windows with moulded architraves and plain keystones;
the central window is approached by a short flight of
steps. Above the moulded cornice is a brick parapet
surmounted by spherical vases. The end walls are
each in two bays with a round-headed window in the
southernmost bay. The interior is divided into two by
a central longitudinal wall, the orangery itself occupying
the S. side of the building. The walls to the orangery
are plastered and have alternate round and square-headed panels; above is a moulded cornice and the
ceiling is plastered.
Condition—Of house, good.
b(3). The Vicarage, 100 yards S.S.W. of the
church, is of three storeys with attics. The walls are
of brick on a stone base, and have stone dressings to
the original windows; the main roofs are covered with
modern slates and the roofs to the adjoining additions
are pan-tiled. The house was built in the first half
of the 17th century on a rectangular plan with a projecting porch in the middle of the E. front and with
the back half of the building two storeys lower than
the front. Late in the 17th century an addition of one
storey with attics was built on the S. side of the house,
and this addition was further extended towards the S.
either late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
The additions appear to have been of timber-framed
construction but refaced with brick at a later date.
A modern kitchen-scullery has been added adjoining
the main house and W. of the 17th-century extension,
and a modern bay-window has been built on the W.
front of the original house. The original building is
raised on a stone plinth or base with a moulded top,
the ground-floor being a few feet above the ground-level owing to the site being liable to floods. Continuous plain brick bands mark the levels of the first
and second floors. In the middle of the Front or E.
Elevation the projecting porch is carried up the full
height of the building and is gabled; the front is
symmetrically designed, but all the windows are
modern though probably replacing former windows;
the doorway is also later; in the roof on either side
of the porch-projection is a gabled dormer-window
formed by the carrying up of the main front wall.
The W. or Back Elevation is also symmetrically designed;
it is of one storey with gabled attics at either end; the
roof is carried from the eaves in the middle of the front
in one long slope up to the ridge of the main roof of
the house. On the N. end of the front is a modern
bay-window; in each of the gables is an original
two-light window with stone mullions. Rising through
the roof from the middle of the house are two tall
chimney-stacks; both are original and are T-shaped
on plan with projecting angle-ribs on the outer faces.
The N. Elevation has a gabled E. end, of three storeys
with attics; the wall in the middle of the W. end of
the front is carried up above the eaves-level in a gable
in which is a blocked original window; there are other
blocked windows in the front and one original two-light
window to the second floor. The S. Elevation was
generally similar to the N. front, but has been partly
covered by the later additions; there is an original two-light window in the gable at the W. end of the front, but
other original windows, though still existing, are
Inside the building, most of the rooms in the original
house have exposed chamfered beams in the ceilings.
On the first floor the two front bedrooms each have
an original fireplace with stop-chamfered stone jambs;
both fireplaces have later heads. On the second floor
are two similar fireplaces to the front bedrooms; one
of these fireplaces retains the original four-centred head;
both of these bedrooms have an early 18th-century twopanelled door. The staircase from the first to the
second floor has its original newels and steps, and part
of the old string remains. At the top of the stairs from
the second floor to the attics is an original newel with
a shaped top, and at the foot of the stair is an old plank
door hung on two strap-hinges. In the roof in the S.
addition is an exposed collar-beam truss with shaped
braces between the principal rafters and the collars.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed with plaster and brick infilling; the
roofs are covered with thatch, modern slate or tiles.
Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks
and exposed beams in the ceiling.
Condition—Good, unless otherwise noted.
a(4). Shipley, farmhouse, now two tenements, about
¾ m. N.W. of the church, is built on a rectangular
plan with an addition, probably of the 18th century,
at the N. end. A modern addition has been built
along the back of the house and there are modern
sheds at either end. An old chimney-stack at the S.
end of the house has a stone base; the top has been
b(5). Two cottages on S. side of road, 60 yards E. of
the cross-roads about 1¼ m. N.W. of the church. It
is possible that the easternmost of the cottages is of
earlier origin than the 17th century, having been
considerably altered at that date when the second
cottage was added.
b(6). Cottage, 120 yards W. of (5), has been much
altered, partly re-built and re-roofed; at the S. end is a
modern weather-boarded addition.
b(7). Cottage, now two tenements, 50 yards W. of
(6), was probably built at two different dates. It is
gabled at either end and the roof to the western half
has been raised; the building is now under one main
roof; it has modern additions on the S. side.
b(8). Cottage, 230 yards W.S.W. of (7), has low
modern additions at the back and at the E. end.
b(9). Primrose Bank, house, 150 yards N.W. of (8),
was built as a cottage but has been much altered and
added to in modern times. The E. side of the original
building has been refronted in brick and the roof has
been raised. The S. wall is of stone.
b(10). Widow's Wood Cottage, on N.W. side of the
road, ¾ m. S.W. of (9), has low modern additions at
the N. end and at the back.
b(11). Farmhouse, on S.E. side of the road 260 yards
S.W. of (10), is of an irregular T-shaped plan with the
cross-wing at the N.W. end. The S.E. end is probably slightly earlier in date than the N.W. end; a
modern lean-to addition has been built at the S.E.
end, and the house has been converted into two tenements. Part of the building has been refronted in
b(12). Ramsden Buildings, two cottages, 720 yards
W.S.W. of (11); both have modern additions.
b(13). Billingsley Farm, farmhouse, 1180 yards S.S.E.
of (12), is of two storeys with cellar. The walls are
mainly of stone; some are timber-framed with brick
infilling, and some have been refronted with brick.
It has been considerably altered.
b(14). Canondale, farmhouse, 660 yards S.W. of (13),
is built partly of stone and partly of timber-framing
with brick infilling. The older part of the building
is T-shaped on plan with the cross-wing at the S. end.
A later extension has been made to the W. end of the
cross-wing and modern additions have been built on the
W. side and on the N. end of the N. wing; the building has been much altered. The E. end of the cross-wing is of one storey only; the N. wing of the old
part of the house has timber-framed and brick walls
with heavy constructional timbers.