39 KINGSTONE (C.b.)
Kingstone, the Parish Church of
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXXVIII, N.E., (b)XXXVIII, S.E.,
Kingstone is a parish and village 6 m. W.S.W. of
Hereford. The church and Kingstone Grange are the
b(1). Parish Church of St. Michael stands in
the middle of the parish. The walls, except those to
the W. end of the nave which are faced with ashlar,
are of local sandstone rubble with worked dressings
of the same material; the roofs are covered with
stone slates. The Nave dates from the early or middle
part of the 12th century, but the only original feature
remaining is the S. doorway. Late in the 12th century
a North Aisle was added and an arcade of two bays
was inserted in the N. wall of the nave; the E. bay
of the arcade was inserted in the 13th century. The
chancel was re-built and the North Chapel was added
early in the 13th century. In the second half of the
13th century the North West Tower was built at the
W. end of the N. aisle which was at the same time
widened. The nave was extended westward c. 1330,
to as far as the W. wall of the tower. The S. wall
of the chancel was re-built in 1762. Modern work
includes the rebuilding of the parapet and much of
the upper part of the N.W. tower, when the church
was partially restored in 1842, and a complete restoration of the building in 1889–90.
The arrangement at the meeting of the arches
(Plate 8) of the arcades of the chancel and nave with
the chancel-arch and W. arch of the N. chapel is unusual,
and among the fittings the font, the 13th-century
'dug-out' chest and the well-carved coffin-lid in the N.
aisle are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (24½ ft. by
17¾ ft.) has a modern E. window. The N. arcade
(Plate 8) is of early 13th-century date and in two bays
with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the
central circular pier has a capital carved with 'stiff-leaf'
foliage incorporating a carved head on the W. side
(Plate 8) and a mutilated 'hold-water' base; the E.
respond has stop chamfered angles, and, carrying the
inner order of the arch above, a corbel (Plate 8) carved
with 'stiff-leaf' foliage and supported on a carved head;
the W. arch springs, on the W. side, from a circular
pier with the capital carved with 'stiff-leaf' foliage
incorporating a king's head on the W. side, and with a
mutilated moulded base; the outer order of the arch is
stopped about 3 ft. above the pier, on each side, by a
moulded corbel with a tapering end; these corbels also
carry the outer orders on the E. side of the chancel-arch
and W. arch of the N. chapel respectively.
The S. wall was re-built in 1762; in it are two re-set
windows, the eastern of late 13th-century date and a
single trefoiled light with a modern rear-arch, and the
western of c. 1330 and of two trefoiled ogee lights
with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the internal
sill is modern. The chancel-arch is of early 13th-century date, and is two-centred and of two chamfered
orders; on the N. side the arch springs from the circular pier taking the western arch of the chancel
arcade; on the S. side is a square respond supporting
the outer order, and the inner order is carried on a
semi-octagonal moulded corbel with two carved 'stiff-leaf' corbels below, the one above the other.
The North Chapel (23½ ft. by 14½ ft.) has an E.
window of c. 1330, of two trefoiled ogee lights with a
quatrefoil in a two-centred head. In the N. wall are
two lancet windows, the western one of which has a
modern sill. Between the N. chapel and N. aisle is
a 13th-century arch, two-centred and of two chamfered
orders; the inner order is carried on the N. side by
an attached semi-octagonal shaft with a crude moulded
capital, probably of later date; on the S. side the inner
order is carried on the pier at the junction of the
chancel and nave arcades, and the outer order is
stopped above the springing on moulded corbels with
The Nave (51¾ ft. by 20¼ ft. at the E. end, widening
to 20¾ ft. at the W. end) has a N. arcade of three bays
with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders
carried on circular piers, and a semi-circular W. respond
with scalloped capitals and hold-water bases with much
worn spurs at the angles and square chamfered sub-bases; the two western arches are of late 12th-century
date, but the eastern arch was added in the 13th century,
when the eastern respond was completed to form a
column; this is indicated by the different working of
the scallops on the two sides which form the capital,
by the different treatment of the halves of the base
and also by the slightly different colour of the later
stones on the E. side of the column; at the E. end of
the arcade the E. arch springs from the pier between
the chancel and nave-arcades, and the outer order being
carried on moulded corbels with tapering ends set a
few feet above the springing of the main arches. In
the S. wall are three windows; the easternmost is of
late 13th-century date and of two trefoiled lights
grouped together under a two-centred moulded label;
the two other windows are each of early 14th-century
design and each of two ogee trefoiled lights with a
quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label;
the westernmost is original, with a modern mullion
and restored label, but the middle window appears
to be entirely modern though a few of the jamb-stones
may be old; the S. doorway is of early to mid 12th-century date and has plain square jambs and a semi-circular head with chamfered imposts. The partly
restored window in the W. wall is of c. 1330, and of
three trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head
with a moulded label; the doorway, below the window,
is of the same date and has jambs and two-centred
arch of two orders, the inner chamfered and the outer
moulded, with a restored moulded label.
The North Aisle (32½ ft. by 19½ ft.) has in the N.
wall two partly restored early 14th-century windows,
each of two trefoiled lights with a trefoil in a two-centred head with soffit-cusping and internal and
external moulded labels; the western window is
modern externally; between the windows is a blocked
doorway the lines of the jambs of which are visible
externally, and those of the splays and rear-arch
The North-West Tower (about 12 ft. square) is of
mid to late 13th-century date, and has been considerably restored and much of the upper part re-built. It
rises off a battered plinth, without break to a modern
embattled parapet, and has modern quoins to the
upper part. The tower-arch is two-centred and of
three chamfered orders with a chamfered label on the
E. side; the inner order is carried on semi-octagonal
responds with mutilated capitals; the two outer
orders on the E. side are continuous, and on the W.
side stop against the side walls of the tower. The
N. doorway is modern, but above are the upper parts
of the splays and rear-arch of an old window. In the
S. wall of the ground storey is a single light window
with a trefoiled head and an internal rebate for a
shutter; it was blocked when the nave was lengthened
in the 14th century. In the W. wall is a similar window,
open and with a chamfered label, but externally it is
entirely modern except perhaps the keystone. The
second stage has in the N. and also in the W. wall a
single lancet; the head of the N. window is modern
as are also the head, jambs and sill of the W. window.
The bell-chamber has in each wall a modern two-light
window of 14th-century design.
The Roof of the N. chapel is probably of c. 1500,
and is of the trussed-rafter type with curved braces
and a moulded central purlin running the whole length
of the roof. The roofs of the nave and N. aisle are of
similar type and perhaps of earlier date, with a central
moulded purlin below the collars; all three roofs
have modern boarding and wall-plates and the central
purlin of the nave is also modern.
Fittings—Chest: (Plate 28) at E. end of N. aisle—
long 'dug-out' chest with coped lid in two divisions
each hung on two iron hinges with shaped ends and
strengthened with piece of ornamental iron-work; front
bound with later and modern iron straps, 13th-century.
Coffin-lid: against N. wall of N. aisle—at W. end,
with hollow chamfered edge ornamented with round
studs and foliated head of cross cased within circle at top
of slab, foliated head to top of shaft and super-imposed
on shaft, shield with a fesse and a label of five points,
late 13th-century; 17th-century inscription cut across
middle of shield (see Floor-slabs). Churchyard Cross:
in churchyard—W. of church, square base only with
upper part of angles splayed off to an octagonal plan
with sinking for shaft, mediæval. Below modern
cross, S. of above, two steps, square on plan with
angle splayed off upper one, probably mediæval and
belonging to old base. Communion Table: in N.
chapel—of oak, with turned legs, moulded rails and
edge to top, late 17th-century. Font: with irregular
circular bowl of breccia on short, moulded stem,
perhaps a re-used capital, base of freestone, probably 13th-century on modern step. Floor-slabs: in
chancel—(1) to Clement Clarke, 1656; (2) to "Anne
wife of Richd . . . . and lastly wife of Morgan . . ."
surnames and date destroyed, 17th-century. In N.
chapel—(3) to Miles Parry, 1693, also to Elizabeth
his daughter, 1719, decayed stone slab with border of
conventional leaves and shield-of-arms; (4) to Elizabeth (Leinthall) wife of Richard King, Prebendary of
Hereford Cathedral, 1699; (5) to Joan Parry, 1690,
portion of slab only; (6) small slab with incised cross
on three steps and arms of fleur-de-lis form, small
heart at junction of head and shaft, probably 13th-century; (7) portion of slab with incised cross formed
by quarter circles terminating in finials and enclosing
a quatrefoil; remains of black letter inscription,
hidden by large cupboard placed above it, 15th-century.
In N. aisle—at W. end, (8) with inscription cut on
mediæval coffin slab (see Coffin-lid) to John Parry,
1689; (9) to Mary, daughter of William Williams,
1714. Locker: in N. chapel—in E. wall, plain
rectangular. Piscina: in N. chapel—with chamfered
jambs, two-centred head and circular drain, 13th-century. Recess: in N. aisle—in N. wall—for tomb,
with stop chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed
head, 13th or 14th-century. Plate: includes a plain
cup, without date-letter, second half of the 17th century.
Sundial: in tympanum in head of easternmost window
of S. wall of nave—incised dial, mediæval.
Condition—Good, considerably restored.
b(2). Kingstone Grange (Plate 18), house and outbuildings about ¾ m. S. of the church. The House is of
two storeys with attics and cellars; the walls are timber-framed and plastered, on a stone base; the roofs are
covered with slates. It was built c. 1600 on an E-shaped plan with the wings projecting towards the
S.E. and a projecting staircase wing on the N.W.
side. There is a modern addition at the N.E. end.
The S.E. front has exposed timber-framing, except the
three gables which are tile-hung. The central porch
is of two storeys with moulded posts and lintel and
shaped brackets under the moulded bressummer of the
projecting upper storey. The inner doorway has a
moulded frame and eight-panelled door, both original.
The back elevation has exposed timber-framing
throughout, and a gable at each end. At the S.W.
end of the house is a large stone chimney-stack. Inside
the building, the hall has original moulded ceiling-beams, forming six panels; the cupboard under the
staircase has an original panelled door; the doorway
on the S.W. side has a moulded frame; above the
fireplace is a frieze of arabesque panels. The drawing-room is lined with original panelling and has moulded
ceiling-beams. The rooms in the N.E. wing have
chamfered ceiling-beams. On the first floor, the room
over the drawing-room is lined with early 18th-century
panelling, with cornice and dado-rail and incorporating
some earlier work. The fireplace has an early 18th-century moulded surround and shelf. Other rooms
have some original panelling and moulded or chamfered ceiling-beams. The early 18th-century staircase
has turned balusters, straight strings and square newels.
The Outbuilding, N. of the house, is of two storeys
and of stone timber-framing and brick. It was built
early in the 17th century. The Barn, N.E. of the house,
is timber-framed and weather-boarded. It is probably
of 17th-century date and is of five bays with queenpost trusses. The Barn, E. of the house, is also timber-framed and weather-boarded. It is of three bays and
was built in the 17th century.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys
or one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed
and the roofs are covered with stone slates or modern
materials. Most of the houses have exposed ceiling-beams and timber-framing.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
c(3). Cottage, at Grithill, about 1 m. S.S.E. of the
church, has brick filling to the timber-framing. The
back portion is probably an 18th-century addition.
c(4). Cottage, at Arkstone Common, about ¾ m.
E.S.E. of the church.
a(5). Whitehouse Farm, house on the W. side of the
road, 200 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of T-shaped
plan with the cross-wing at the E. end. The timber-framing is partly exposed.
b(6). The Old Vicarage, on the N. side of the churchyard, has later additions on the N. and E. sides.
b(7). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 80 yards
S.W. of the church, is of late 17th or early 18th-century
date, with modern additions on the N. and E.
b(8). Bull Ring Inn, at the N. angle of the crossroads, 140 yards S.W. of the church, is partly of two
storeys with cellars and attics. It is of T-shaped plan
with the cross-wing at the S.W. end. The cross-wing
has been refaced with brick, and there is a large modern
addition on the N.W. side of the house.
b(9). Cottage, on the S.W. side of the road, 30 yards
W. of the cross-roads, was built probably early in the
16th century, but has been much altered. It has a
cross-wing at the E. end which contains original
moulded ceiling-beams. The lower main block was
perhaps the original Hall.
b(10). Cottage, two tenements, 100 yards W.N.W.
of (9), has low modern additions on the S. and E. A
doorway in the S.E. end has an original door of nail-studded battens with strap-hinges.
b(11). White Cottage, ¼ m. S.W. of the church, was
built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and
has modern additions on the S. and W.
b(12). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 140 yards
W. of (11), has a thatched roof.
a(13). Cottage, at Coldwell, on the S.E. side of the
road, 700 yards N.W. of the church, has a modern
addition at the N.E. end.
Little Birch, see Birch, Little.
Little Dewchurch, see Dewchurch, Little.