42 LLANGARREN (D.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)L.S.E., (b)LI, N.W., (c)LI, S.W.,
(d)LIII, N.E., (e)LIV, N.W.)
Llangarren is a large parish 5 m. W.S.W. of Ross.
The church, Langstone Court, Bernithan Court,
Ruxton Court and Treribble are the principal monuments.
c(1). Parish Church of St. Deinst (Plate 5) stands
near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local
sandstone with dressings of the same material; the roofs
are covered with slates. The church, consisting of
Chancel, Nave and West Tower was re-built in the second
quarter of the 14th century, the tower being rather later
than the rest. The South Porch was added in the 15th
century and the chancel-arch was re-built in the 16th
century. Late in the 17th century a N. aisle was added,
but this Aisle was re-built in 1841.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21½ ft. by
20¾ ft.) has a 15th-century E. window of two cinque-foiled lights with modern tracery in a two-centred
head. In the N. wall are two windows, the eastern of
c. 1340 and of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil
in a two-centred head; the 16th-century western
window is of two plain square-headed lights. In the
S. wall are two windows, the eastern of c. 1340 and of
two trefoiled ogee lights in a square head; the western
window is uniform with the western window in the
N. wall; between the windows is a 14th-century doorway with a modern head. The chancel-arch is of
early 16th-century date; it is two-centred and of two
chamfered orders with moulded capitals; flanking it
are narrow two-centred arches of one chamfered order,
largely or perhaps entirely modern.
The Nave (49 ft. by 21 ft.) has a modern N. arcade.
In the S. wall are four windows, the easternmost of the
16th century and similar to the N.W. window in the
chancel; the middle window is of late 14th-century
date and of two cinque-foiled ogee lights with vertical
tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label;
the third window is of the 16th or 17th century and of
two square-headed lights; the westernmost window is
probably of 14th-century material re-set in the 16th or
17th century; it is set in a dormer and is of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred
head; the 14th-century S. doorway has chamfered
jambs and two-centred head.
The West Tower (9 ft. square) and spire are of mid
14th-century date, the tower being of three stages with
a moulded plinth and plain parapet; the stair-turret is
square below, semi-octagonal above and terminates in a
pointed capping set against a wall rising above the
parapet. The ground stage has, in the N. wall, a
doorway, of doubtful date, with chamfered jambs and
two-centred head; the tower-arch is two-centred and
of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the
inner dying on to the responds. The W. window is
of two septfoiled ogee lights with tracery in a two-centred head with a moulded label. The second stage
has in the N. and W. walls, a window of one square-headed light. The bell-chamber has, in the E., N. and
W. walls, a window of two pointed lights in a two-centred head; in the S. wall is a window of one pointed
light. The octagonal spire is carried on segmental-pointed squinches of three orders, across the angles of
the tower; the cardinal faces of the spire have each,
near the base, a small lancet-shaped opening with a
The South Porch is of the 15th century and has an
outer archway with chamfered jambs and a two-centred arch of two orders, the inner dying on to the
jambs; above it is a weathered quatre-foiled panel. The
side walls have each a small square-headed window.
The Roof of the chancel is of the 14th century and of
scissor-braced type. The modern roof of the nave
incorporates some old rafters. The 15th-century roof
of the porch has curved braces forming segmental
Fittings—Altar: re-used as Floor-slab (1), with two
formy crosses at one end and one in the middle. Coffin-lids: in chancel—re-used as sill of N.E. window, with
traces of cross-head. In nave—re-used as lintel of
S.E. window, part with cross-head of intersecting
curves; in jamb of same window, fragments with part
of cross-head. In E. wall of modern aisle—part
with cross-head and rosettes. All 13th-century.
Communion Rails: re-used as screen, etc., in chancel,
with turned balusters and moulded rails, mid 17th-century. Communion Table: in N. aisle—with turned
and twisted legs and moulded stretchers, late 17th-century. Door: in second stage of tower—of nail-studded battens with strap-hinges, 16th-century. Font:
(Plate 39) octagonal bowl, each face with quatrefoil in
circle enclosing rosette, panelled and splayed underside
with quatrefoils and rosettes, stem with trefoiled ogee
heads alternating with rosettes, 14th-century. Glass: in
chancel—in S.E. window, fragment with oak-leaf, 14th-century. Monuments and Floor Slabs. Monuments:
in chancel—on E. wall, (1) to William Gwillym, 1698,
Benedicta (Hoskins) his wife, 1693–4, William their son,
1706–7 and William, son by a second wife Elizabeth
(Kyrle), 1709–10, etc., scrolled and draped oval tablet
(Plate 55) with cherubs, cherub-heads and cartouche
and two shields-of-arms. In nave—on S. wall, (2) to
Rowland Scudamore, 1697, Margaret his wife, 1706,
John his son, 1710, and Margaret his daughter,
wife of Littleton Lawrence, 1716, scrolled and draped
marble tablet with cherubs and defaced shield, by
Fowler of Gloucester, 1717; (3) tapering slab with
small effigy of man (Plate 43) in civil costume, in
high relief, head on cushion, hands crossed, late 13th
or early 14th-century. In N. aisle—on E. wall, (4) to
Thomas Rawlins, 1676–7, who added the N. aisle, stone
and black marble tablet with surround and cartouche-of-arms. In churchyard—on S. wall of nave, (5) to
John Philpott, 1698, enriched tablet with scrolled top;
E. of porch, (6) to Henry Philpott, 1687, headstone;
S.W. of porch, (7) to Thomas Williams (?), 1691 (?),
headstone. Floor-slabs: in chancel, (1) to Anne, wife
of Richard Ballard, 1625, Richard Ballard, 1672–3, her
son, and Anne his wife, 1687–8; (2) to Thomas, son of
Richard Ballard, 1670; (3) to . . . . . . . Ballard (?),
1670. In nave—(4) to John Bond, 1698. Niche: over
S. doorway—shallow recess with defaced arch in square
embattled head, late 15th or early 16th-century. Piscina: in chancel—in sill of S.E. window, quatre-foiled
drain, probably 14th-century. Plate: includes cup and
cover-paten of 1683, given by Ann Ballard, 1686;
flagon of 1683, given by Thomas Gwillym, with shield-of-arms. Pulpit: (Plate 59) with five panelled sides,
each side with enriched arcaded panel and fluted frieze,
c. 1630. Recess: in nave—in S. wall, with cinque-foiled,
moulded and segmental-pointed arch, 14th-century
probably tomb-recess. Stoup: in nave—by S. doorway, bowl, formerly projecting but now cut back,
mediæval. Miscellanea: in S.E. buttress of chancel—
stone (Plate 9) with crude interlaced design, probably
12th-century. Incorporated in splays of E. window,
fragments with parts of an incised figure, 13th-century.
In churchyard—S.W. of tower, old capping of spire,
used as pedestal of sundial.
c(2) Homestead Moat, S.E. of Langstone Court and
¾ m. N.N.E. of the church.
c(3) Langstone Court, house, now two tenements,
stable and barn, 1,000 yards N.N.E. of the church.
The House is of two storeys with cellars and attics;
the walls are of brick, stone and some timber-framing
and the roofs are covered with slates. It is built round
a courtyard with a projecting block on the S.E. The
middle part of the S. wing was built early in the 16th
century but incorporates a crutch-truss, probably of
earlier date; this wing was extended W. late in the
same century. The other ranges flanking the courtyard are of various dates in the 17th century and the
S.E. block was added or re-built in brick c. 1700.
The E. front of the S.E. block is symmetrically designed,
with a hipped roof and two dormer-windows; the
doorway has a moulded surround of c. 1700 but the hood
is modern; the basement has two-light square-headed
windows of stone. The S. range is of rubble and the
late 17th-century W. range is faced with ashlar. The
N. range is of rubble and has, in the W. wall, a three-light window with wood mullions.
Interior—The hall (Plate 172) in the S.E. wing is
lined with bolection-moulded panelling of c. 1700 with
enrichments of pomegranates and festoons of fruit
and foliage; the plaster ceiling (Plate 29) has a
geometrical design of panels with moulded bands,
enrichments and a central oval panel with an oak-leaf
border and vases. The drawing-room is lined with
panelling of mid 17th-century date and of c. 1700; the
plaster ceiling has a large round panel with a border
of fruit and foliage; the centre and spandrels have
small domed panels and the whole is surrounded by
a deep border with arabesques. The main staircase
(Plate 174) is of well-form with turned balusters,
panelled newels and moulded strings; the ceiling has
moulded ribs forming a geometrical design; the soffit
of each flight has an oval panel in plaster. The
second staircase (Plate 62), immediately W. of that
just described, is of early 17th-century date and has flat,
shaped and diminishing balusters, moulded rails and
square newels surmounted by tall moulded terminals;
the ceiling of the staircase-lobby retains some strapwork
enrichment and a strip of running vine-ornament. The
adjoining room on the W. has an early 17th-century
plaster ceiling (Plate 29) with an elaborate strapwork
design, enclosed in a border of running vine-pattern,
with projecting finial-ornaments. On the first floor,
the room over the drawing-room has bolection-moulded
panelling of c. 1700, and a ceiling generally similar to
that below, but with a double-headed eagle in the
The Garden in front of the S.E. wing has a pair of
early 18th-century rusticated gate-piers with cornices
and ball-terminals; the gates have an enriched wrought-iron overthrow.
The Stable, E. of the house, is of c. 1700 and of brick
with stone dressings. It has several original windows
and doors and a central clock-turret with an ogee
The Barn, S.W. of the house, is of late 17th-century
date and of stone and timber-framing. It is of two
storeys, the lower having an open colonnade of three
bays with moulded cappings to the columns.
c(4) Bernithan Court (Plate 173), house and barn,
about ¾ m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is of
two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of
brick on a stone base and the roofs are tiled. The
front block was built c. 1695, perhaps incorporating
part of an earlier stone structure, and is symmetrically
designed with a hipped roof, coved cornice and
dormer-windows; the main windows have solid
frames with mullion and transom; the front doorway has a moulded architrave and a pedimented hood
carried on shaped brackets. The lower part of the
N.E. side has square-headed doorways and a two-light
window of stone; there are similar windows on the
N.W. front lighting the basement and the doorway
on this front has a bolection-moulded architrave.
Interior—The Hall has a fireplace with a bolection-moulded surround. The room N.W. of the hall is
lined with mid and late 17th-century panelling, and
the fireplace has a surround like that in the Hall. The
ceiling has moulded ribs forming a geometrical design
and an enriched cornice. The next room to the N.E.
has a ceiling enriched with grapes, pomegranates and
fleurs-de-lis; the small room in the N. angle has a
ceiling with an oval panel and fleur-de-lis enrichments.
The main staircase (Plate 174) is very similar to that
in Langstone Court; it has turned balusters, panelled
newels and moulded strings; the newels are supported
on those below by slender columns. The ceiling of the
staircase-hall has geometrical plaster panels, and that of
the first-floor landing has enrichments of vases of
flowers; the soffit of the attic-stairs has an oval panel
with a fox and goose (?) and enrichments. The ceiling
of the W. room on the first floor has moulded panels.
There are several 17th-century doors, and the upper
part of the second staircase is of this date.
Llangarren, Bernithan Court
At the back of the house and separated from it by a
yard is an early 17th-century building of two storeys and
of brick. In the N.W. wall are three original windows
of two lights with moulded labels. The chamfered
ceiling-beams are exposed.
The garden on the S.W. side has walls of c. 1700;
the two stone gate-piers have cornices and tall enriched
vases; the gates have an enriched wrought-iron overthrow with a shield-of-arms of Philip Hoskyns and
Catherine (Gregory) his wife. Other enclosure-walls
are of the same age.
The Barn, E. of the house, is of stone with a tiled
roof. In the N.W. gable is a panel inscribed "Ano.
Dn. H.E. H.E."; the S.E. gable has the inscription
"Ano. Dn. 1695." The roof is of seven bays with
e(5) Ruxton Court (Plate 17), 1¼ m. S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys, partly with attics and cellars;
the walls are of rubble and timber-framing and the
roofs are covered with tiles, stone slates and modern
slates. The E. half of the house was built in the 15th-century and is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and S. The W. cross-wing was
built late in the 16th century, and the range between
it and the older building was re-built in the first half
of the 17th century with a N. porch.
The E. part of the N. front has close-set timber-framing of the original building; the middle part has
exposed framing of the 17th century, a gable enclosing
a seven-light window with moulded frame, mullions
and transom. The porch is of two storeys with lower
walls of stone and a gabled upper storey projecting on
a moulded bressummer and brackets; in this storey is
a projecting window of five lights with a moulded sill;
in the gable is a two-light window making a triangular
projection. The late 16th-century wing is of stone and
has several windows of this date with moulded labels.
The E. end of the house is of rubble and has a 17th-century window of four lights with a wood frame.
Inside the building, the original part of the house has
four 15th-century crutch-trusses. Here and elsewhere
much of the timber-framing is exposed. The W. wing
has moulded ceiling-beams and the E. wall projects on
a(6) Treribble, house and outbuildings about 1¼ m.
N.W. of the church. The House is of three storeys
with cellars, the walls are of stone and the roofs are
covered with tiles and slates. The kitchen-wing of the
house was built late in the 16th century, and to this
were added, in the 17th century, an extension to the
N. and two wings to the W. About 1700 a new block,
of three storeys, was added to the E. of the older building and two smaller symmetrical blocks built to the
S.E. and S.W. forming the Stable and Granary, the
whole intended to form an architectural composition.
The late three-storeyed block has been rendered in
cement on the N. front, but on the S. front it is ashlar-faced with bands between the storeys and moulded
key-stones to the windows. The porch on the W.
side of the older building has an elliptical-headed
doorway with the initials and date E. T. (probably for
Taylor) 1694. There are also some late 17th-century
windows with solid frames. Inside the building, some
of the ceiling-beams are exposed. A partition on the
S. side of the kitchen is lined with mid 17th-century
panelling, and there is a considerable amount of late
17th-century panelling in the hall and the N.E. room.
The hall-fireplace has an iron fire-back with an achievement-of-arms and the date 1673 (?). The late 17th-century staircase in the S.W. wing has panelled casing
and a moulded newel with a ball-terminal. The stone
fireplace, in the N.W. wing, has a four-centred head.
On the first floor is a panelled cupboard of c. 1650,
and on the second floor two fixed cupboards of the
same date with fluted friezes.
The Stable and Granary are generally symmetrical
and were built c. 1700. They are of two storeys with
brick walls, stone quoins and hipped roofs. The stable
has a doorway with a moulded frame and an early
17th-century nail-studded door. The staircase in the
granary has turned balusters.
The Barn, E. of the house, is timber-framed and of the
16th century. The roof is of queen-post type.
c(7) The Grove, house and barn 1 m. S. of the
church. The House is of two storeys; the walls are of
stone and the roofs are covered with corrugated iron.
It is of 16th-century origin but has been completely
re-modelled. Inside the building are some exposed
ceiling-beams. The S.E. room has an original plaster
ceiling (Plate 29) of six bays with moulded ribs forming
a geometrical design in each bay; it has fleur-de-lis
enrichments and small shields with the initals I.B. for
John Ballard; one also with the date 1594.
The Barn, E. of the house, is partly of stone and partly
of weather-boarded timber-framing. It was built late
in the 16th century and is of five bays with queen-post
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys. The
walls are of stone and the roofs are covered with tiles
or slates. Some of the buildings have old chimneystacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
c(8) Cottage, 180 yards N.W. of the church, is partly
c(9) Three Horse Shoes Inn, 200 yards S.E. of the
church, is modern, but to the E. of it is a building of
c. 1600, partly timber-framed.
c(10) Trereece, house 660 yards S.S.W. of the church,
is of two storeys with cellars and attics. The main
block was built in the 15th century; there are 16th-century additions on the W. and an addition of c. 1700
on the E., making the plan Z-shaped. The roof of the
original block is of braced collar-beam type, with tie-beams.
c(11) Treverven, house 1420 yards S.E. of the church,
is of two storeys with cellars and attics. It is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the E. end. The W.
wing is partly of mid 16th-century date, but the rest of
the building is of the 17th century. The E. front has
late 17th-century windows with solid frames, mullion
and transom. Inside the building is an original stone
fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred arch and
a conventional incised design at the apex.
e(12) Little Trewen, house about 1¾ m. S.E. of the
church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the N. and E. The E. wing was built in the
15th century and subsequently shortened; the N. wing
is an early 17th-century addition. Inside the building
is an original doorway with a four-centred head and an
original roof-truss with curved braces under the collar.
There is also a simple stone bracket, probably of the
e(13) Ragged House, 300 yards S.S.W. of (12), has
some original stone windows with mullions and
e(14) Simmonds Trewen Farm, house 120 yards S. of
(13), has two windows with moulded labels.
e(15) Royal Arms Inn, nearly 1¼ m. S. of the church.
d(16) Treworgan, house 1½ m. S.W. of the church.
d(17) Kilreague, house about 1 m. W. of the church,
is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards
the W. and N. The W. wing was built c. 1600, and
the N. wing c. 1700. In the W. wall of the older
wing is an original window of four lights with a square
a(18) Turner's Place, house about 2 m. W. of the
church, has an original window of five transomed lights
in the E. wall, and a similar window in the N. wall of
b(19) Trebumfrey, house and barn nearly 1 m. N.N.W.
of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars
and attics and has an early 18th-century addition on the
The Barn, N. of the house, has a panel in the S. gable
with the date 1707.
b(20) Biddlestone, house and pigeon-house, nearly 1½ m.
N.E. of the church. The House is of c. 1700 with a
later 18th-century addition on the W. The walls are of
The Pigeon-house or summer-house, E. of the house,
is a square building with a low pyramidal roof and some