11 BROBURY (B.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXXII, N.W.)
Brobury is a small parish on the left bank of the Wye
11 m. W.N.W. of Hereford.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene
stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are of
local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same
material; the roof is covered with stone slates. The
Chancel was built c. 1300, probably on the site of an
earlier structure. In 1873 the former nave was pulled
down and the existing W. wall of the chancel was built.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (24½ ft. by
17 ft.) has a partly restored E. window of c. 1300 and of
two pointed lights. In the N. wall is a single light
window of similar character to the E. window. In the
S. wall are two windows of c. 1300, the eastern of two
trefoiled lights with a pierced spandrel and the western
of one pointed light. In the W. wall is a modern
doorway and, above, a window of one pointed light,
restored and re-set. The bell-cote is modern.
The Roof is probably of the 17th century, and has
three cambered tie-beams with plain struts; it is ceiled
at the collar.
Fittings—Bell: mediæval, with inscription in Lombardic capitals, "Sancta Maria ora pro nobis," inaccessible. Coffin-lids: In chancel—(1) tapering slab with
remains of elaborate foliated cross and stem, late 13th
or early 14th-century; in recessed monument in S. wall,
(2) tapering slab (Plate 47) with elaborate foliated
cross, flanked by foliated scrolls, hollowed edge with
carved pateræ, early 14th-century. Communion Table:
with heavy turned legs and moulded lower rails, top rails
with incised ornament and shaped brackets, early 17th-century. Font (Plate 55): tapering cylindrical bowl with
moulded base and square plinth with spur-ornaments,
late 12th-century. Lockers: in E. and S. walls, plain
rectangular recesses. Monuments: In S. wall, (1) recess
(Plate 79) with moulded jambs, segmental-pointed arch
and moulded label, all enriched with pateræ, crockets,
square finial at top, early 14th-century. In churchyard
—S. of chancel, (2) to Elizabeth Smith, 1711, headstone. Piscina: In sill of S.E. window, quatre-foiled
drain, c. 1300. Plate: includes cup with balusterstem, of 1634, with the initials I.S. and B.
(2). Well House, 100 yards N.W. of the church,
is of two storeys, timber-framed and with a thatched
roof. It was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th
century and has exposed external timber-framing and
a large chamfered ceiling-beam.