13 BURRINGTON (C.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. III, S.W.)
Burrington is a parish 9 m. N.N.W. of Leominster.
Outside the church are some interesting floor-slabs of
(1). Parish Church of St. George stands near the
middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone
rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs
are covered with tiles. The church was almost entirely
re-built about the middle of the 19th century when the
Chancel was shortened. Portions of the side walls of
both the chancel and Nave are, however, old, though
of uncertain period. The West Tower is entirely
Fittings—Alms-box: In nave—cut from an oak
block and of semi-octagonal form with a modern flat
lid, probably 17th-century. Chest: In vestry, plain, with
dovetailed joints and shaped feet, 16th-century or earlier,
lid later. Font: plain octagonal bowl with hollowed
under edge, quatre-foiled stem and chamfered base,
probably 14th-century. Floor-slabs (Plate 92): Within
the old chancel but now E. of E. wall—(1) to Robert and
Sarah, children of Richard Knight, 1714; the six follow
ing slabs are of cast-iron (2) to William Walker, 1676,
with achievement-of-arms and moulded rim; (3) to
Jane Hare, 1678, with shield-of-arms; (4) to Richard
Knight, 1645–6, with achievement-of-arms and ornamental border; (5) to Maria Hare, 1674, with achievement-of-arms and moulded rim; (6) to Joyce Walker,
1658–9, with moulded rim; (7) to Robert Steward,
1619–20, with shield-of-arms in a strapwork frame.
Plate: includes Elizabethan cup with band of engraved
ornament round bowl, paten of 1712, given by Rachell
Erskin, 1712–3 and a flagon of 1712, given by Elianor
(2). The Old Vicarage, about 70 yards S. of the
church, is partly of two storeys and partly of two with
attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched.
The S. and lower part of the house was built early in the
17th century, and the northern half added somewhat
later. Inside the building is some exposed timber-framing.
(3). Cottage, 100 yards S. of the church, is of two
storeys, timber-framed and with slate-covered roofs.
It was built in the 17th century, and has exposed external
timber-framing and ceiling-beams.
(4). Manor Farm, house about 200 yards N.N.E.
of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with
tiled roofs. It was built in the 17th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end; there
is a modern addition on the W. Much of the timber-framing is exposed. The upper storey formerly projected at the end of the E. wing, and the gable above has
diagonal framing; the upper storey still projects on
the N. side of the wing.
(5). The Farm, house, about 400 yards N. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with slate-covered roofs. It is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the W. and S. The projecting part
of the S. wing is of early 16th-century date, but the
adjoining part of the main block was re-built early in
the 17th century and extended towards the W. later
in the same century. There are modern additions at
each end. Much of the timber-framing is exposed,
that in the S. wing being close-set. The upper storey
projects on the free sides of this wing on curved
brackets. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.