22 EARDISLEY (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XVII, S.E., (b)XXIV, N.E.,
Eardisley is a parish and village 5 m. S.S.E. of
Kington. The church, with its 12th-century font, and
the early house at Eardisley Wootton are the principal
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene (Plate
7) stands at the S. end of the village. The walls
are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same
material; the roofs are covered with stone slates. The
font is evidence to the existence of a church here in the
middle of the 12th century, but the earliest surviving
part of the fabric is the S. arcade of the Nave and the
South Aisle of c. 1200. It probably represents the extent
of the whole church at that period from E. to W., the
division between the nave and chancel being indicated
by the larger pier on the S. Early in the 13th century
a N. aisle of three bays was added to the early nave;
the arcade seems to have been re-built later in the same
century. The Chancel was added c. 1300, and a little
later the North Aisle was widened and extended to the
E., the two E. arches of the N. arcade being built to
open into it. The clearstorey was added on the S.
of the nave c. 1330, and late in the same century the
South Porch was added. The old tower was burnt down
probably early in the 18th century, and the existing
West Tower was built probably in 1708, the date of the
bells. The church was restored in 1862–3.
The church is of some architectural interest from its
development, and among the fittings the font and the
sallet are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (33½ ft. by
16½ ft.) is of c. 1300. The E. window is of three lights,
the two side lights trefoiled and the mullions run up
into the two-centred head to form the middle light;
the label is chamfered. In the N. wall is a modern
opening. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern
of two trefoiled lights and the western of three
graduated lancet-lights; the doorway has chamfered
jambs and two-centred head. There is no masonry
The Nave (Plate 12) (70½ ft. by 19 ft.) has a N. arcade
of five bays, of which the two eastern are of c. 1330;
the first arch is segmental-pointed and of two moulded
orders continued down the responds; the labels have
carved head-stops, crockets, and finials; the wider and
taller second arch is segmental-pointed and of two sunk-chamfered orders with a moulded label on the S. face;
the responds are similar to the arch and have moulded
capitals and hollow-chamfered bases; the three westernmost arches are of the 13th century, the first two being
later than the third and than the two responds; they
are two-centred and of two chamfered orders; the
octagonal columns and half-round responds have
moulded capitals and chamfered bases; E. of the arcade
is a 14th-century squint with a trefoiled ogee head.
The S. arcade is of c. 1200 and of four bays with segmental arches of one plain order; the E. arch is lower
than the others; the piers and responds have moulded
imposts and bases and chamfered angles, having carved
stops in the W. bays; E. of the arcade are the 14th-century upper and lower doorways to the rood-loft
staircase; both have square heads. The clearstorey
over the S. arcade has four restored 14th-century
windows, the three eastern each of three trefoiled ogee
lights in a square head; the western window is similar,
but of two lights. The blocked 14th-century doorway
in the W. wall has moulded jambs and two-centred
arch; the W. window, of the same date, is of three
cinque-foiled lights in a two-centred head.
The North Aisle (14½ ft. wide) has an E. window
similar to the E. window of the chancel, but with no
label. In the N. wall are four early 14th-century
windows, the first is of two trefoiled lights and the
second of three similar graduated lights; the third
window is of two trefoiled lights in a two-centred head;
the westernmost window is of one trefoiled light; the
N. doorway has chamfered jambs and two-centred arch.
The South Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has a partly restored E.
window of c. 1300 and of two trefoiled lights. In the
S. wall are three windows, the easternmost of c. 1300
much restored, modern externally, and of three trefoiled
lights with tracery in a two-centred head; the two
western windows are of the 14th century and of two
trefoiled ogee lights with trefoiled spandrels; the late
14th-century S. doorway has moulded jambs and four-centred head.
Eardisley, the Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene
The West Tower (12 ft. square) is of c. 1708 and of
four storeys with a battered plinth and an embattled
parapet. The ground storey has a round-headed
doorway in the E. wall; in the N. wall is a doorway
with a pointed head, and in the W. wall is a square-headed window. The second storey has a square-headed window in the N. and W. walls and a blocked
window in the S. wall. The third storey has a square-headed window in the S. wall. The bell-chamber has,
in each wall, a square-headed window with a round
arch above filled with rubble.
The South Porch is of the 14th century, and of stone.
The outer archway has jambs and two-centred arch of
two moulded orders with moulded imposts. In the
E. wall is a window of one trefoiled ogee light.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd to 6th by Abraham
Rudhall, 1708. Brasses: In N. chapel—(1) to Sidney,
daughter of Thomas Conyngesbye, 1627, with shield-of-arms; (2) to Sir Humphrey Baskervile, 1617,
inscription and achievement-of-arms. In nave—(3) to
George Coke, Bishop of Hereford, 1646, inscription
only in stone slab with carved shield-of-arms, mitre,
etc.; (4) to Henry Harper, 1687, inscription only,
with enrichments. Churchyard Cross: S. of church,
moulded octagonal base, probably 15th-century with
modern shaft. Coffin-lids: In tower—slab with cross
in trefoil-headed panel, 14th-century. In churchyard—
by S. porch, tapering slab, mediæval. Door: In N.
doorway—modern but with one old strap-hinge, with
ornamental curved braces, possibly 13th-century. Font
(Plate 105): cup-shaped bowl with cable-necking on
splayed base, upper part of bowl and base with bands of
interlacement, main part of bowl with figures in relief
representing the Harrowing of Hell, two men with
sword and spear fighting, and a large lion: the figures
are shown in quilted garments and the fighters have
conical caps, mid 12th-century, and the work is by the
same carver as Castle Frome font. Helms: In nave—
high on E. wall, (a) sallet of late 15th-century date with
brass rivets and remains of leather lining, vizor removed,
said to have been found at Eardisley Castle; (b) late
16th-century combed helmet with vizor and arabesque
enrichment. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments:
In S. aisle—on N. wall, (1) to Alice, wife of Thomas
Harper, 1680, stone tablet (Plate 69) with scrolls, pediment and cartouche-of-arms. In churchyard—by S.
porch, (2) to Mary, second wife of William Badham,
1690, flat slab; against S. wall of churchyard, (3) to John
West, 1711, headstone. Floor-slabs: In nave—(1) to
Henry Harper, 1608 (? 1687) and Elizabeth his daughter,
1708; (2) to Katherine Price, 1708; (3) to Jenkin
Crump, 1705 and Elizabeth his wife, 1707; (4) to John
Duppa, senior, 17th-century; (5) to John Duppa, junior,
17th-century; (6) to Walter Badham, 1687–8 and
Elinor Badham, 1702. In N. aisle—(7) to John
Phillips, 1703–4. In S. aisle—(8) to Emund Fyzjo[hn ?] broken slab with middle part missing, marginal
inscription in Lombardic capitals, late 13th or early
14th-century. In tower—(9) to Elizabeth, wife of
John Rowlands, senior, 1693; (10) to William Badham,
168(3 ?). Niches: In nave—in W. face of S.E. pier,
shallow recess with ogee head, 14th-century; in W.
face of S.E. respond, with trefoiled ogee head and
embattled cornice, 14th-century. Piscinæ: In chancel
—recess with chamfered jambs, ball-flower stops and
cinque-foiled head, early 14th-century, sill modern. In
S. aisle—in S. wall, recess with trefoiled head and
square drain, 13th-century. Plate: includes three
pewter plates. Recess: In E. pier of S. arcade of
nave—with moulded jambs and round head, 6¼ ft.
high, 14th-century, use uncertain. Stoup: In S. porch
—round bowl with square top and shaped angle,
a(2). Bollingham Chapel stands 2¼ m. N.N.W. of
the parish church. The walls are of local sandstone
rubble with dressings of the same material and of
limestone; the roofs are covered with stone slates.
Owing to restoration there is little or no evidence of
the date of the building, but the plan suggests that it is
a structure of 12th or 13th-century date. It was
restored in 1867 and 1890, and the South Porch is
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (16 ft. by
17 ft.) and Nave (43¾ ft. by 19¼ ft.) have now no ancient
features; the N. wall has been refaced, but the quoins
of the S.E. angles of the chancel and nave are old.
There is a bell-cote over the W. gable.
The Roof of the chancel is mediæval, partly restored;
it has a modern central truss. The 14th or 15th-century
roof of the nave is of six bays with braced collar-beam
trusses, alternating with trusses having tie-beams and
king-posts; below the middle purlins are cusped wind-braces, partly modern.
Fittings—Bell: one, uninscribed. Floor-slab: In
nave—to Sarah (Higgins), wife of Henry Harper, 1711.
Plate: includes mid 17th-century cup and cover-paten,
the former with the arms of George Coke, Bishop of
Hereford, 1636–46, in a lozenge. Stoup: In nave—
E. of S. doorway, mutilated flat bowl with round
basin. Miscellanea: Incorporated in S. wall of chancel,
externally, carved man's head, probably corbel.
b(3). Eardisley Castle (Plan, p. xxix), mount and
bailey earthwork, 50 yards W. of the church. The
existence of a "domus defensabilis" at Eardisley is
recorded in the Domesday survey, and this was perhaps
the origin of the existing earthwork. It consists of
a roughly oval moated enclosure with a motte on the
S.W. side. The motte is about 33½ yards in diameter
at the base and rises some 14 ft. above the level of the
bailey from which it is now not separated by any ditch.
The moat is still wet and encloses an area of about
1¼ acres; along its W. and S.W. sides is an outer bank,
and still further W. a stream appears to have been used
to form an outer enclosure of irregular form. A second
stream and bank, again to the W., form a second
c(4). Eardisley Park, house and outbuildings, about
¾ m. W.S.W. of the church. The House is of three
storeys with cellars, the walls are of brick and the roofs
are covered with stone slates. It was built early in
the 18th century on a rectangular plan, but the existing
top storey is a later addition. The front is symmetrically designed, and has a brick band between the
lower storeys, continued round the sides. The
windows have flush frames. The basement retains
some mullioned windows. Inside the building, many
of the rooms have 18th-century panelling, and some of
the fireplaces have moulded surrounds. The S.W.
room on the first floor has a fireplace (Plate 52) with
a panelled overmantel and flanked by fluted pilasters
supporting a Doric entablature. There is a little re-used
17th-century panelling in the S.E. room on the ground
floor. The early 18th-century staircase (Plate 75) has
turned balusters, straight strings and moulded handrails.
The Pigeon-house, N. of the house and of early 18th-century date, is a square building of brick with a hipped
roof, square timber lantern and weather-vane. The
Stable, W. of the pigeon-house, is a two-storeyed brick
building of the same period; further W. is a Cider
Mill partly of brick and partly timber-framed; it has
two pedimented dormer-windows and remains of an
eaves-cornice. To the W. of the house are an early
18th-century Cottage and Barn; the former is of brick
and the latter timber-framed; the barn incorporates
some 16th-century timbers. The Stable, W. of the
yard, is a brick building also of early 18th-century date.
b(5). Upper House Farm (Plate 31), house and out-buildings on the E. side of the road, 650 yards N.N.W. of
the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed;
the roofs are covered with stone slates. The middle
part of the house was built probably in the 15th century,
and consists of a hall with a screens-passage at the S. end
and a solar-wing at the N. end. Late in the 16th or early
in the 17th century a chimney-stack and an upper floor
were inserted in the hall and additional blocks added
on the W. and S. sides and on the N.E., the S. wing
probably replacing the earlier kitchen-wing. On the
N. front the original building has close-set timber-framing and a projecting window with moulded head,
sill and mullions and lead glazing; the N.E. addition
has exposed framing and a large gable fronting N.,
projecting at the first floor level and finished with
cusped barge-boards; the staircase-projection has a
window of four lights with moulded mullions and
contemporary glazing. The E. side of the main block
retains some of its original close-set framing. The
framing of the added S. wing is mostly exposed, and
the upper storey projects at the W. end on curved
brackets. The added W. wing is plastered; the upper
storey projects on the whole of the W. side and at the
N. end; it has turned pendants under the angle and
intermediate posts; between it and the hall-block is a
chimney-stack with two diagonal shafts.
Inside the building, the original hall (28 ft. by 19 ft.)
has a central roof-truss with arched braces under the
collar; the doorway at the W. end of the screenspassage has original moulded jambs, but the head has
been removed; the passage retains its open-timbered
ceiling supporting a gallery, now incorporated with the
inserted floor. In the N. wall of the hall is an original
doorway with a four-centred head and sunk spandrels.
In the 17th-century chimney is set a 14th-century stone
with a trefoiled and traceried head. Elsewhere in the
house some of the ceiling-beams are exposed. A room
on the first floor is lined with 17th-century panelling,
and at the head of the stairs is an octagonal newel with
The Outbuildings, N. of the house, are timber-framed
and weather-boarded and probably of late 17th or early
18th-century date. The timber-framed stables and loft
E. of the house are probably of the 17th century, and on
the S. side are two windows with diagonal mullion-bars.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed, and with tile, slate or stone-covered
roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external
timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(6). Cottage and smithy, 50 yards S.S.W. of (5), is
of 16th-century date. The upper storey projects on
the W. side and has an original moulded bressummer;
the projection at the S. end has been under-built.
b(7). Range of three cottages, W. of (6), has been
b(8). Range of three cottages, W. of (7), was built late
in the 16th or early in the 17th century. The E. wing
is a later addition.
b(9). Cottage (Plate 26), on the S. side of the road,
600 yards N.N.W. of the church, was built probably
in the 14th century. It is of two bays with a central
crutch-truss; there is also crutch-construction in the
b(10). Cottage, two tenements, 50 yards E. of (9), is
of late 16th or early 17th-century date, heightened in
the 18th century.
b(11). Tram Inn, S.E. of (10), has an extension,
probably of later date, on the S. There is a stable and
loft S.E. of the house and probably of the same period.
Eardisley, Plan Showing the Position of Monuments
b(12). House, 40 yards S.E. of (11), has been re-built
except for the S.W. wing.
b(13). Cottage, two tenements, 30 yards S.E. of (12).
b(14). The Forge, cottage S.E. of (13), was built in the
14th century and has a central block of two bays with a
central crutch-truss; the truss has a collar with curved
and chamfered braces below it. The adjoining bay on
the S. has plain crutch-trusses on the N. and S.
b(15). Cottage, S.E. of (14), was built probably early
in the 18th century.
b(16). House, on the W. side of the road immediately
S. of Eardisley bridge, has been largely re-built except
for the 16th or early 17th-century N. wing. The
upper storey of the wing projects on the E. and part
of the N. side on curved brackets.
b(17). House, 20 yards S.E. of (16), was built probably
late in the 16th century, and is of L-shaped plan with
the wings extending towards the W. and N. The
upper storey projects and is gabled on the S. part of
the E. front. In the upper storey is a window with
original moulded mullions.
b(18). Cottage, 20 yards S. of (17), was built probably
early in the 18th century.
b(19). Range of three cottages, 55 yards S. of (18).
b(20). Cottage, 10 yards S. of (19), was built probably
early in the 18th century.
b(21). Castle Farm, house and outbuildings, 100 yards
W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with
attics, and the walls are of brick. It was built early in
the 18th century and has a moulded stone plinth. The
front has a modillioned eaves-cornice, and the doorway
has a moulded frame and a shell-hood resting on carved
brackets. Some of the windows retain their original
solid frames with mullion and transom. The N.W.
doorway has a moulded wooden cornice supporting a
hipped roof. Inside the building, the original staircase
has turned balusters and moulded newels.
The Outbuilding, N. of the house, is of the same date
and of brick; it forms an L-shaped block with the
wings extending towards the N.E. and S.E. The
doorway in the S.E. wall has a moulded frame with a
shaped inner head. Another doorway also has a
moulded frame. The Farm-buildings N.E. of the house,
include two timber-framed barns, the western of nine
b(22). White House, two tenements, 130 yards S.S.E.
of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the W. and S.
b(23). Range of four tenements on the E. side of the
road, 230 yards N. of the church, has a cross-wing at
the S. end and three gabled dormers in the main block;
one of these has moulded barge-boards and a pendant
at the apex.
b(24). Cottage, 10 yards N.W. of (23).
b(25). Cottage, 22 yards N.W. of (24), was built
probably early in the 18th century.
b(26). Cottage, now police-station, 130 yards N.W. of
b(27). Cottage, 12 yards N.W. of (26), has been refaced
with stone and heightened.
b(28). Cottage, two tenements, 10 yards N.W. of (27),
was built probably early in the 18th century, but has
b(29). House, N.W. of (28) and 500 yards N.N.W. of
the church, was built in the 15th century on a T-shaped
plan with the cross-wing at the W. end. The cross-wing has been partly refaced in stone, but the N. gable
retains its original barge-boards with traceried panelling.
Inside the building, both wings have remains of
original roof-construction with chamfered tie-beams;
the cross-wing was of four bays, and the E. wing retains
some curved braces. There is a little 17th-century
b(30). Eardisley Wootton, house and barn, nearly 1 m.
N.N.W. of the church. The House was built probably
in the 13th century, but was much altered in the 17th
century when the upper floor was inserted and the E.
The house has an interesting early feature in its
doorway and roof-construction.
Some of the original timber-framing in large squares
is exposed. The original doorway on the N. of the
main block is constructed of two massive timbers
forming a two-centred arch; a later doorway with a
square head has been inserted within it. Inside the
building, the original block is of four bays with remains
of crutch-trusses with collars.
The Barn (Plate 37), W. of the house, appears to be
of the same date. It is of three bays with crutch-trusses
between them and in the end walls.
b(31). Bower Cottage (Plate 30), nearly 1½ m. N.N.W.
of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the E. and S.
b(32). Little Quebb, house and barn, about 1¾ m.
N.N.W. of the church. The House consists of a
mediæval central block with a late 16th or early 17th-century S.W. cross-wing and a later wing at the N.E.
end. An upper floor has been inserted in the original
block and gables added on the N. and S. sides. Inside
the building are the remains of three original crutchtrusses, partly visible. The Barn, W. of the house, is
of four bays, weather-boarded.
b(33). Great Quebb, house and barns, 50 yards S.W.
of (32). The House may be of mediæval origin as
there appear to be remains of a crutch-truss in the middle
block. The S.W. wing was added or re-built late in
the 16th century, but the rest of the building has been
extensively altered. The upper storey projects on two
sides of the S.W. wing on curved brackets; it also
projects on the S.E. side of the main block. Inside the
building, the main block has three doorways with four-centred heads. A room in the S.W. wing is lined with
late 16th or early 17th-century panelling, and the fireplace has an early 18th-century moulded surround and
panelled overmantel. The early 17th-century staircase
has flat shaped balusters and square newels with turned
The Barn, N. of the house, is of three bays, weather-boarded. A second barn, W. of the house, is partly of
brick and stone.
b(34). Upper Welson, house and barn, nearly 1¾ m.
N.W. of the church. The House (Plate 22) consists
of a low W. wing of uncertain date but probably earlier
than the early 17th-century cross-wing at the E. end.
The cross-wing is of two storeys with attics. The Barn,
S.W. of the house is weather-boarded.
b(35). The Dukes, cottage, nearly 1½ m. N.W. of the
church, was built of stone probably early in the 18th
b(36). Hurstwood, cottage, on the E. side of the lane,
620 yards S.W. of (35).
b(37). Cottage, on the N. side of the lane, 150 yards
E.S.E. of (36), has been partly refronted in stone.
b(38). Lower Welson Farm, house, on the W. side of
the lane, 70 yards S. of (37), is of L-shaped plan with the
wings extending towards the E. and S. The walls are
partly of stone. Inside the building are some original
moulded ceiling-beams with shaped brackets under
them. The late 17th-century staircase has turned
balusters and moulded handrails.
b(39). Middle Farm, house, on the W. side of the lane
at Lower Welson, and 150 yards S. of (38). The upper
storey projects at the E. end.
b(40). Cottage, 30 yards S. of (39).
b(41). Cottage, on the N.E. side of the lane, 70 yards
S.E. of (40), has an original moulded ceiling-beam.
b(42). Cottage, 100 yards E. of (41).
b(43). Cottage, in the road fork, 120 yards E. of (42),
was built early in the 18th century.
b(44). Cottage, immediately S. of the brook, and 120
yards S.S.E. of (43), has been heightened.
b(45). Stone Cot, cottage, on the E. side of the road
120 yards S.S.E. of (44) and 1 m. W.N.W. of the church,
has been heightened.
b(46). Cottage, on the N. side of the road at Hurstway
Common and 240 yards S.S.E. of (45).
b(47). Parsonage Farm, house, 300 yards S.E. of (46),
has a two-storeyed porch on the N.E. side; the upper
storey projects and has turned pendants at the angles;
the sides of the porch are open and fitted with turned
b(48). The Turn, cottage, on the N. side of the road,
230 yards N. of (47).
b(49). Cottage, on the S.E. side of the road at Field,
about 1 m. N.W. of the church, has been largely refaced
b(50). Cottage, 50 yards N.E. of (49), has been
b(51). Cottage, 20 yards N.E. of (50), was built early
in the 18th century.
b(52). Cottage, at Hobby Lyons, 930 yards N.W. of
b(53). The Folly, house, 100 yards N.N.E. of (52),
has been partly re-built in stone.
b(54). Woods Eaves Farm, house and barns, 1¼ m.
W.N.W. of the church. The House (Plate 26) is of
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
S.W. and N.W. The S.W. wing was built probably
late in the 16th century, and the second wing is a later
The Barn, E. of the house, is of three bays, weather-boarded. There is a second barn of the same character
and immediately S.E. of the house is a late 16th or early
17th-century two-storeyed outbuilding.
b(55). St. Mary's Farm, house and barn, 220 yards
W.S.W. of (54). The House has an 18th-century
addition at the back. The Barn, N. of the house, is of
five bays, weather-boarded.
b(56). Cottage (Plate 32), on the N. side of the road,
60 yards N.W. of (55).
b(57). Yew Tree House, 320 yards S.W. of (56), is of
two storeys with attics, and has been partly refaced in
stone. The wall-plate of the upper storey projects on
the S.E. front on shaped brackets.
b(58). Cottage (Plate 32), 80 yards S.W. of (57).
c(59). Lady Arbour Farm, house and barn, 1,120 yards
S.W. of the church. The House is of stone with a
hipped roof and dormers. Some of the windows are
original with solid frames, mullion and transom.
Inside the building is an original staircase with slat
balusters and square moulded newels. The Barn, S.W.
of the house, is of seven bays, partly weather-boarded.
c(60). Parton (Plate 31), house, 1,050 yards S.E. of
the church, consists of an early 17th-century L-shaped
block at the N. end and an early 18th-century T-shaped
extension on the S. The early block has been partly
refaced in brick; the E. end has exposed square-framing
with ornamental braces in the upper part. Inside the
building are two early 18th-century fireplaces.
c(61). Upper Green Lane, cottage, about 1 m. S.S.E.
of the church, was probably re-built early in the 18th
c(62). Old Crow Farm, house and barn, 470 yards
W.S.W. of (61). The House is of T-shaped plan with
the cross-wing at the S.W. end. The main block is of
mediæval origin and has a partly concealed crutch-truss
at the S.W. end. Some of the walls have been refronted
in stone and brick. The Barn, N. of the house, is of
c(63). Willersley House, 120 yards W. of (62), has a
modern addition on the S.W. side.
c(64). Cottage, 60 yards S.W. of (63), has been largely
re-built and added to.
c(65). Cottage, 70 yards S.W. of (64), is partly of stone.
c(66). The Old Crow, cottage, on the N.E. side of the
road, 30 yards W. of (65), has a cross-wing at the N.
a(67). Bollingham Farm, house, 320 yards N.E. of
Bollingham Chapel, is of L-shaped plan with the wings
extending towards the W. and N. It has been much
altered and extended.
a(68). Upper Spond, house and barn, 1 m. N.E. of
Bollingham chapel. The House has a cross-wing at the
S.W. end. The main block was built in the 16th century and has some close-set timber-framing. The
Barn forming an extension to the N.E. was added in
the 17th century. The Barn, N.E. of the house, is of
four bays partly weather-boarded.
b(69). Earthwork, called The Camp, nearly 2½ m.
N.W. of the church, consists of a circular enclosure
46 yards in diameter, surrounded by a dry ditch with
traces of an outer bank to the southern half.
b(70). Earthwork or Moat, nearly 1¾ m. N. of the
church, forms a circular enclosure surrounded by a
partly wet ditch.