23 ELTON (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. VII, N.W.)
Elton is a small parish 8 m. N.N.W. of Leominster.
The 12th-century church, formerly a chapel of Wigmore
and which contains the Royal Arms of Queen Elizabeth,
is the principal monument.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the
middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone
rubble with dressings of the same material, and the
roofs are tiled. The church, consisting of Chancel and
Nave, without structural division, was built in the 12th
century. The building was drastically restored in 1879,
the bell-turret is modern, and the South Porch modern,
or entirely re-built.
The Royal Arms are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25½ ft. by
15½ ft.) has a modern E. window. In the N. wall is a
12th-century window, not in situ, of one round-headed
light; the internal opening is modern; further W. is
a modern window. In the S. wall are two windows, the
eastern is a 13th-century lancet-light and the western is
modern; between them is a 12th-century doorway with
plain jambs and round arch. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (35¾ ft. by 15½ ft.) has modern windows in
the N. and S. walls which may represent 13th-century
openings. The 12th-century S. doorway has plain
jambs and round arch with chamfered imposts. In the
W. wall is a modern window; the upper part of the
wall is modern.
Fittings—Bells: two, inaccessible and uninscribed,
but 1st of long-waisted type, probably late 13th or
early 14th-century. Chairs: In chancel—two with
turned legs, panelled arm-pieces and panelled backs
with lozenge-shaped enrichments, late 17th-century.
Communion Table: with turned legs and moulded top
rails with shaped brackets, late 17th-century. Font:
plain cylindrical bowl, probably 12th-century, with
modern stem and base. Monument: In chancel—on
E. wall, to H.L. 1666, lozenge-shaped panel of wood
with painted achievement-of-arms; below two stone
shields with remains of painted inscription to Katherine
. . . Panelling: In nave—on N. and S. walls, re-used
17th-century panelling. Plate: includes cup of 1571
(Plate 60), with band of engraved ornament, also a
pewter flagon and two pewter stand-patens. Pulpit:
five-sided and panelled in two heights, upper range with
strap-work ornament and lower range with enriched
arches, early to mid 17th-century. Royal Arms (Plate
120): In nave—on N. wall, arms of Queen Elizabeth
in carved wood with the initials E.R. and the inscription
"God save the Queene." Screen (Plate 77): Between
chancel and nave—with central opening and four bays on
each side, opening with flat four-centred and cusped arch
and foliated spandrels, short vertical post at apex with
shield charged with an engrailed cross; side bays with close
lower panels made up of 17th-century panelling with
leaf-enrichment, open upper panels with trefoiled, sub-cusped and traceried heads, moulded mullions and head-beam with a second beam, superimposed, 15th-century.
Miscellanea: desk in chancel incorporating one side of
the pulpit, and 17th-century panelling partly enriched
with conventional foliage.
(2). Elton Hall, house and stables, N. of the
church. The House is of three storeys; the walls are
of brick and rubble and the roofs are of slate and tile.
The small N.E. wing is perhaps of the 17th century
incorporating re-used timbers of earlier date. The
main S.W. block was built c. 1720–30, but also incorporates some earlier work. Inside the building are
some exposed ceiling-beams and some large curved
timbers, possibly mediæval.
The Stabling, extending N. from the House, is of mid
17th-century date with modern additions. It is timber-framed and of two storeys.
(3). Elton Farm, house, 230 yards S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed, and with slate
and tile-covered roofs. It is of H-shaped plan with the
cross-wings at the E. and W. ends; the E. part was
built late in the 16th century but the W. cross-wing
and the low porch on the N. were added early in the
17th century. Much of the timber-framing is exposed.
Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams
and an original shaped wall-post.
(4). Cottage (Plate 27), on the W. side of the road,
130 yards S. of (3), is of two storeys, timber-framed and
with a thatched roof. The S. part is of early 17th-century date and the N. part is a rather later addition.
The timber-framing and ceiling-beams are exposed.
(5). Woodlands, house, 800 yards S.E. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled
roofs. It was built late in the 17th century on an
L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the
E. and S. In the W. wall is an original window of three
transomed lights. Inside the building are some exposed
ceiling-beams and framing.