25 EYTON (D.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XII, N.W., (b)XII, S.W.)
Eyton is a parish on the N. of the river Lugg, 2 m.
N.W. of Leominster. Eyton Court and The Marsh
are the principal monuments.
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints, formerly a
chapel of Eye, stands in the middle of the parish. The
walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the
same material; the roofs are tiled. Owing to restoration
there is little evidence of the date of the building, but if
the modern work copies the old the Chancel and Nave
would appear to date from the 12th century and to have
been altered and lengthened towards the W. in the 14th
century. The South Porch was added probably in the
first half of the 17th century. The church was drastically
restored in 1853 and the North Vestry is modern.
Among the fittings the rood-screen and loft are noteworthy.
The Church, Plan
Architectural Description—The Chancel (16¼ ft. by
17½ ft.) has no ancient features, but the E. window is
of 14th-century character, and the windows in the N.
and S. walls are of 12th and 14th-century character
respectively. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (42¾ ft. by 17½ ft.) has also no ancient
features except perhaps some stones in the N.E. and
S.E. windows and in the splays of the S. doorway.
The windows generally are of 14th-century character.
On the W. gable is a restored bell-cote.
The South Porch is timber-framed and of early 17th-century date. The outer entrance has a plain tie-beam
and two ornamental struts above; the sides are each
of two bays with a two-light opening in each bay.
The Roof of the chancel and nave is of late 15 th or
early 16th-century date and of four bays; the main
trusses have moulded tie-beams and collars with curved
braces; the subsidiary trusses are similar but without
tie-beams; the wall-plates are moulded and embattled.
The chancel has foiled wind-braces forming quatrefoils.
Some of the work appears to be modern.
Fittings—Bell: by W. B. 1684. Floor-slab: In
chancel—to John Scandrett, 1680–1. Font: octagonal
bowl with splayed underside, plain stem and chamfered
base, probably mediæval but partly retooled. Plate:
includes a cup and cover-paten of 1588 and a porringer
(Plate 59) of 1697. Screen (Plate 107): Between
chancel and nave—of oak, with central doorway and
five bays on each side, doorway with four-centred head
and traceried spandrels, side-bays with close lower and
open upper panels, the latter with trefoiled ogee and
traceried heads and foliated cusp-points; moulded
cornice and coved loft with moulded front beam carved
with two bands of foliage, the lower running vineornament; below beam, remains of pendant brattishing
of fleurs-de-lis; cove, boarded and panelled with
moulded ribs and carved foliage-bosses at the intersections, late 15 th-century.
Condition—Good, much restored.
b(2). Eyton Court (Plate 108), 150 yards S.W. of the
church, is of two storeys, timber-framed, and with roofs
of stone slates. The surviving W. cross-wing of the
original house was built early in the 16th century, the
adjoining block on the site of the Hall having been
re-built in modern brick.
The W. wing is a well-preserved example of early
The W. side and N. and S. ends of the old wing have
original close-set timber-framing except in the upper
storey of the S. end, where the square framing is of
later date. The upper storey projects on the W. and
S. sides on moulded bressummers with curved brackets
and attached shafts with moulded capitals. The
framing of the two gables is set herring-bone fashion
and the gables project on curved brackets; the bressummer of the S. gable is moulded. In the N. end
are two original windows of six and seven lights
respectively with moulded mullions and projecting on
moulded sills. On the W. side are two similar windows
each of five lights. There is another original window
of seven lights in the S. end.
Inside the building, the southern room on the ground
floor has original moulded ceiling-beams forming twelve
main panels and sub-divided by moulded joists; the
original fireplace has moulded stone jambs and flat
four-centred arch; above it is some 17th-century
panelling. The N. room has chamfered ceiling-beams.
On the first floor, the S. room has an original boarded
ceiling (Plate 109), divided by main moulded ribs into
twelve panels and sub-divided by smaller ribs; at the
intersections are carved bosses, mostly with flowers and
foliage but some with blank shields; the fireplace has
stone jambs and an oak lintel. The N. room has a
chamfered beam. Four doorways have flat arched
lintels and one door is of 17th-century panelling.
b(3). The Marsh, house, 200 yards S. of the church,
is partly of two storeys with attics and partly of one
storey, timber-framed; the roofs are covered with tiles
and corrugated iron. The house is of T-shaped plan
with the cross-wing at the W. end. The main block
formed the Hall of a late 14th or early 15th-century
house, but incorporated in the W. wall is a low gabled
truss which is unconnected either with the Hall or the
existing cross-wing and must be presumed to be earlier
than the Hall. The cross-wing was re-built and
heightened probably in the 16th century. The Hall
was divided into two storeys, but the inserted floor has
now been removed. The wide-set timber-framing is
exposed in most of the building. The Hall (25 ft. by
21 ft.) is of four bays; the central truss (Plate 38) has a
collar and struts forming three-foiled openings with the
principals; the W. truss has a collar with curved braces
and the E. truss is similar but has a tie-beam in addition
with indications of former framing below it, perhaps part
of the later arrangement of the building in two storeys;
the wind-braces are foiled. In the W. wall is the ogee
head of a doorway cut in the tie-beam of the early
truss mentioned above. The W. wing has chamfered
ceiling-beams, and the roof has curved wind-braces.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed, and with tile or slate-covered roofs.
Many of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
a(4). Eyton House, 30 yards N.E. of the church, is of
three storeys. Originally a timber-framed building,
it has been heightened and entirely recased in red
a(5). Pound Cottage, 80 yards E. of the church, has a
later extension on the W.
a(6). Outbuilding, at The Hill, 350 yards N.E. of the
church, has a lower storey of stone.
a(7). Cottage, at The Barns, 650 yards N. of (6).
a(8). Cottage, 700 yards N.W. of (7), has a thatched
a(9). Cottage, at Oaker Farm, nearly 1 m. N.N.W. of
the church, has a thatched roof.
a(10). Cottage, 300 yards N.E. of (9), has a thatched
a(11). The Old Hall, 670 yards W. of the church, has
a later extension at the W. end. On the S. side are two
a(12). Cottage, 250 yards W. of (11), has later
extensions on the E. and W. The roofs are partly
b(13). Cottage, on the S. side of the road, 450 yards
S.S.E. of the church, has a thatched roof.
b(14). Cottage, 100 yards E. of (13), has a thatched
b(15). Coxall, house, ½ m. S.S.E. of the church, was
originally of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the E. and S. An addition has been made in
the angle, the house heightened, and the front and back
b(16). Crowards Mill, house, two tenements, and
mill, ½ m. S.E. of (15). The Mill is later than the house,
and there are modern additions on the E. side. The
lower walls of the mill are of stone.