Harpton, Lower

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Year published

1934

Supporting documents

Page

63

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Harpton, Lower', An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3: North West (1934), pp. 63. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=124618 Date accessed: 22 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

29 HARPTON, LOWER (A.c.)

(O.S. 6 in. (a)X, S.W., (b)XVII, N.W.)

Lower Harpton is a small parish on the Welsh border, 2 m. N.W. of Kington. Offa's Dyke runs through the northern part of the parish.

Secular

b(1). Dunfield, house, near the S. end of the parish, is of two storeys with attics and cellars; the walls are of stone and the roofs are covered with slates. The remains of a 17th-century timber-framed building form the nucleus of the present house which has been remodelled, enlarged and partly re-built in the 19th century. The exterior has no ancient features, but internally some of the rooms on the S. front have exposed ceiling-beams. The staircase is of late 17th-century date and has turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrails; in the staircase-window is a collection of fragments of mediæval glass, mostly of the 15th century, and including tabernacle-work, diapering and a hand holding a palm-branch.

Condition—Good, much altered.

N.B.—For Offa's Dyke, see p. xxx.



<--Previous:
Hampton Wafer
Next:-->
Hatfield