49 LINGEN (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. VI, S.W.)
Lingen is a parish 8 m. N.N.E. of Kington. Lingen
Castle and the remains of Limebrook Priory are the
(1). Parish Church of St. Michael stands near
the middle of the parish. It was entirely re-built in
1890–91, with the exception of the West Tower, which
is perhaps of the 16th or 17th century.
Architectural Description—The West Tower (9 ft. by
10 ft.) is of local rubble and of two stages with a modern
roof. The ground-stage has a modern doorway in the
E. wall and a modern W. window. The second stage
has a loop-light in the N., S. and W. walls.
The Roof of the nave is modern, but incorporates one
old chamfered tie-beam.
Fittings—Bells: two and a sanctus; 1st, uninscribed;
2nd inscribed "Sancta Maria ora pro nobis," both
14th-century; sanctus, inaccessible. Communion Table:
with turned legs and shaped brackets to top rails,
early to mid 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with
moulded upper and lower edge, plain stem and moulded
base, 13th-century. Monument: In chancel—on N.
wall, to John Downes, 1687, stone tablet with scrolled
frame, cherub-head, scrolled and broken pediment and
shield-of-arms. Piscina: In chancel—recess with
moulded jambs and trefoiled head, 13th-century, sill
modern. Plate: includes cup and cover-paten (Plate
60), no doubt of 1571, the date on the paten, band of
engraved ornament round bowl, also a pewter plate
with the initials and date C.C.W. 1694. Seating:
In nave—nineteen pews, with moulded rails, early
16th-century, with some modern work.
(2). Lingen Castle (Plan, p. xxviii), mount and
bailey earthwork, immediately N. of the church, consists
of a roughly circular motte with a bailey on the W. side.
The motte is about 63 ft. in diameter at the top and
rises about 22 ft. above the bottom of the dry ditch.
The bailey is roughly square in shape and has remains
of an inner rampart and traces of a ditch on the S.
Condition—Bad, motte much damaged on S. side.
(3). Limebrook Priory, ruins in the S.E. angle of
the parish, nearly 1 m. S.E. of the church. A nunnery
was founded here in or before the reign of Richard I
either by Robert de Lingen or by one of the Mortimers.
There is some confusion as to the order to which it
belonged, but undoubtedly in the time of Bishop
Booth, 1516–35, it was tenanted by Austin Nuns (Reg.
Booth, p. 241) and subsisted until the general suppression
of the monasteries. The remains now consist of a
single ruined building (41 ft. by 22½ ft.) lying E. and W.
The walls are of local sandstone rubble, but nearly all
the dressings have been removed. It would appear
to date from the 13th century and has, in the S. wall,
three single-light windows and the remains of a doorway. One jamb of a second doorway remains in the
N. wall, but most of this and the E. wall have been
destroyed. There appears to have been an inserted
cross-wall in this building. It is quite impossible to
determine to what part of the priory this building
belonged, as although there are extensive foundation
mounds in the field to the E. they give little or no
indication of the general arrangement. (See also
Condition—Bad, ruins much overgrown.
(4). Limebrook Cottage and barn, 60 yards N.N.W.
of (3). The Cottage is of two storeys, timber-framed
and plastered; the roofs are slate-covered. It-was
built probably in the 16th century largely from materials
from the priory. These include 15th and early 16th-century moulded beams and a doorway with moulded
jambs and a triangular arch in a square head. The
string of the staircase is a re-used barge-board carved
with running vine-ornament.
The Barn, W. of the house, is of the 17th-century,
timber-framed and of three bays.
The following monuments, unless otherwise
described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys,
timber-framed, and with slate or tile-covered roofs. All
of the buildings have exposed external framing and
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(5). Limebrook Mill, 110 yards N.E. of (4), was built
late in the 16th or early in the 17th century. Later in
the 17th century a higher extension was added to the
N. and late in the same century the E. wing was built.
(6). Cottage, two tenements on the E. side of the
road, 230 yards S. of the church, has been heightened.
(7). Cottage, now shed, on the W. side of the road,
30 yards S.W. of (6).
(8). House, 150 yards S. of the church, has been
completely altered except for the S. wing.
(9). Court House Farm, house, 80 yards S. of the
church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending
towards the W. and S. The W. wing was built late
in the 16th century, and the S. wing added early in the
following century and subsequently extended towards
(10). House, four tenements and shop, 100 yards
W.N.W. of the church. The middle part of the range
is of late 16th-century date with an early 17th-century
extension on the E. and a late 17th-century extension
on the W.; the latter has a thatched roof. Inside the
building, the original part has moulded and chamfered
(11). Turn Farm, house (Plate 36), 220 yards W. of
the church, was built probably in the 16th-century and
has a thatched roof.
(12). Old Shop, cottage, on the S. side of the road,
½ m. W. of the church, has a thatched roof.
(13). Mound (Plan, p. xxviii), 1,200 yards N.N.E. of
the church, called Tumulus on the O.S. and locally
known as the Churchyard, is roughly circular with traces
of a bank. It is surrounded by a dry ditch except on
the N., where there is a deep gully and a stream. It is
approached by a slanting causeway on the S., and on the
E. are traces of what may have been a small outer
enclosure. The mound has a diameter of about 125 ft.
at the top, and it rises at most about 11½ ft. above the
(14). Lynchets in two fields, S. and S.E. of Archer's
Ford and 600 yards S.W. of the church. The first
series consists of six terraces extending for about
140 yards on either side of a central hedge, N.W. of
which there are only five terraces; their width varies
from 23 to 44 ft. The second system, about 18 yards
further W., consists of only two terraces, both about
55 ft. wide and extending for about 86 yards.
Little Hereford, see Hereford, Little.
Lower Harpton, see Harpton, Lower.